Noob Question (USB Cable)

Jeric820PH

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Does the USB cable length connected to the Charger affects the charging time? Cause the standard one from nokia is kinda short. And I saw someone selling 3 Meters to 10 feet long USB cables. So I am wondering if this will affect how slow or fast the charging time applies due to the length? Thank you for the future replies :)

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Doubtful. There shouldn't be any significant loss in amperage over that length.

I think that charging cables are relatively short simply because they're neater, cheaper, and need less packaging.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Does the USB cable length connected to the Charger affects the charging time? Cause the standard one from nokia is kinda short. And I saw someone selling 3 Meters to 10 feet long USB cables. So I am wondering if this will affect how slow or fast the charging time applies due to the length? Thank you for the future replies :)

I took a quick look at the specs. From what I can tell max limit of a USB cable is 5m but this is mostly due to transmittal limitations rather than power. The power limitations come in where your USB port is shared port. If you have two devices on the same port you may have issues with charging.

I think you'd have to a fairly long cable before you saw any significant voltage/current drop though I'd have to do calculations to sort that out.

Did calculation, you can't go past 5m in general, especially when attached to a computer. I'm unsure about when attached to a power plug but my guess is you could possibly get away with a bit longer cable. The main limiting factor is the cable core size rather than the power itself.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
This is so sad...

I went and did a voltage drop calculation. At 5m you're still within tolerance of the +/-0.25V allowed. Anything past that and you will probably start to have issues. Saying that however I would recommend keeping within 1.5 -3m max for the most effective length.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99