What have you done to improve Windows phone?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I'll start with my own anecdote. Well, my university has a mobile app for things like news around campus or access to ebooks from the library and stuff like that, but it's built by the library. Well, during the beginning of each semester, they'll come to some of the classes and talk about what the library has to offer with databases and stuff and they'll always talk about the app, but they're all "android and iTunes, android and iTunes, android and iTunes". Well, I texted the library (more like chatting, but you can do it from your phone), and asked them if they were going to make a Windows app.

Lo and behold they have one, and I didn't even realize! I asked them why they didn't include it on their Facebook and Twitter accounts and presentations and they said that they didn't realize it even existed because IT didn't inform them. Then they said they'd send it out by the end of the day and add it to the FAQ site. Something small, I know, but it's something.

What have YOU done to improve Windows Phone awareness?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Writing reviews about other phones and comparing them to the 920. This often allows non-WP people to get a better idea about what WP is all about.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I only showed one person my photos and they went and got a 820. However I don't promote WP in anyway as I don't want people bugging me when things go wrong.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I only showed one person my photos and they went and got a 820. However I don't promote WP in anyway as I don't want people bugging me when things go wrong.

when I made someone switch and something sent wrong (I don't think it was anything big), but they never even told me about it, they went straight to AT&T to get it solved.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
when I made someone switch and something sent wrong (I don't think it was anything big), but they never even told me about it, they went straight to AT&T to get it solved.

My work place is full of iPhone or Android people. I work in a very large company (multinational). Except for that person who got the 820, there's only one other person I know with a WP (there may be more) and he's thinking of switching back to iPhone because WP doesn't work for him. Until WP is enterprise ready (we're still using BB at work) it won't be seen in many large companies. I haven't had the opportunity to recommend a phone too often because I don't get asked. Anyone who has asked me about WP and I told them I was happy with it had interest in iPhone/Android first due to certain apps being available for them and WP not having them at the time (popular apps that are still missing on WP). Apps will continue to be an issue for some people.

I have no qualms telling the pros and cons of WP but I won't got out and advertise it unless I feel confident that I'm recommending a product that people will like and enjoy. If you have figured out yet I'm not 100% happy with WP but I do like it.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't think I've done anything directly to improve WP... but I guess I do my part of keeping them going at it because I stuck with it after somewhat being disappointed by the performance of WP7 :wink: I also enjoying showing people my phone. Only thing is, they respond positively towards it (appearance, photo quality, use, etc) but the whole idea that there are only 2 platforms, iPhone or Android, is so ingrained (at least in the US) that people just aren't willing to try it. Or they go with the others because they know more people on those.

As much as I think apps are over rated, if WP had all the same "popular" apps as the other two, I think a lot more people would try it. We'll get there someday. Until then I just smile as I see people swiping away at their iPhones and Androids and know that I have a superior phone... There's very little that I envy that they have that I don't. The biggest one is that I think Android has dictation apps that work offline. I would LOVE to have that! And I think that app works as you say each word, rather than WP's record a snippet and then convert it, then record a snippet and then it convert... That makes for some funny results, but sucks when you want it to convert the speech to text properly. Although, I did find out by accident that WP will convert the phrase "smiley face" into a :)...

Other than sticking with the platform, I always ask businesses/services that offer iOS/Android apps when they'll offer a WP app just to make the request and maybe even get it on their radar. Usually the responses I get suggest that the people on the other end have no clue what Windows Phone is. There's still a long way to go, but until MS pulls the plug on WP I'm probably going to stay. :)

sinic999

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Nothing much. Just convinced few of my friends to convert from IOS/android to windows OS :). Some of them did changed though and were happy with windows.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Follow up: so I texted them a couple of days later from my roommate's phone (just incase they record numbers) and I asked them what the name of the app was and where can I get it and they said copy/pasted:
"Hi! The name of the app is mobilefalcon and you can download it from google play, iTunes, or Windows"
30 seconds later...
"keep in mind that this is only for Windows phones, not for Windows 8. That app will be available early next year when the two stores merge together"

Dang my library does their research.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss