NBA Basketball - 2013/14 season

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
You mean like the Sacramento Kings of LA?

I bet you were pretty shocked today!

I knew our bench was good. People are sleeping in the Lakers.

Lol, yes I was. It will be interesting to see if that holds up for the season. I think in spots the Lakers can play well, but by the end of the season injuries and fatigue with the older players will take it's toll. If nothing else the Clippers got a good wake up call.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I really can't fault a guy for taking precautions with his own well being. I also think its just as important to have a psychologically all there teammate.

And there's a reason why superstars get a lot of media attention: they are the best at what they do

I'm on the fence about this. Last year the Bulls weren't "expected" to win it all so it was easier for Rose to sit out. The Heat was supposed to be coronated like the year before, and D-Wade knew this. He risked his health to make sure the sports world didn't roast the entire team if they failed. Remember, they were 28 seconds away from being taken out. I may be wrong but I think it's easier for a star player to sit out if there's no real championship expectation.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the fence about this. Last year the Bulls weren't "expected" to win it all so it was easier for Rose to sit out. The Heat was supposed to be coronated like the year before, and D-Wade knew this. He risked his health to make sure the sports world didn't roast the entire team if they failed. Remember, they were 28 seconds away from being taken out. I may be wrong but I think it's easier for a star player to sit out if there's no real championship expectation.

I agree that the Bulls had lesser expectations last season and that might have played a role in Rose's decision to sit out. I disagree on Dwyane Wade risking his health by playing. He had bone bruises so I don't think he was risking further injury by playing (if you call what he was doing in some of those games playing) but he did suck it up and play when he could have sat out.

While on the topic of Wade, I really hope he did stuff this off season to hopefully stay healthy. Two years in a row he's been injured in the playoffs and I don't think the Heat can win without him being healthy this year.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree that the Bulls had lesser expectations last season and that might have played a role in Rose's decision to sit out. I disagree on Dwyane Wade risking his health by playing. He had bone bruises so I don't think he was risking further injury by playing (if you call what he was doing in some of those games playing) but he did suck it up and play when he could have sat out.

While on the topic of Wade, I really hope he did stuff this off season to hopefully stay healthy. Two years in a row he's been injured in the playoffs and I don't think the Heat can win without him being healthy this year.

Last season he was coming off knee surgery. He seems to have that "flash" back from what I saw in pre-season and last night. They're playing the Wizards tonight so I would hope Spo sits him or limits him. Then again, Spo's got a 24 year-old Heat dancer that may be influencing his "head" in all the wrong ways.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Lol, yes I was. It will be interesting to see if that holds up for the season. I think in spots the Lakers can play well, but by the end of the season injuries and fatigue with the older players will take it's toll. If nothing else the Clippers got a good wake up call.

The Lakers bench is actually full of pretty good players. And they'll need them.

You're right that fatigue could hurt the Lakers starters later in the season. It will be really important for the bench to be able to take a lot of those minutes so that the starters can rest.

And then there's the question of Kobe. Will he be close to his old self? If he can get close by the end of the season, the Lakers will surprise a lot of people.

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
Great way for the Lakers to start the season, with the win against the Clippers! Getting ready for the Golden State game!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The Lakers bench is actually full of pretty good players. And they'll need them.

You're right that fatigue could hurt the Lakers starters later in the season. It will be really important for the bench to be able to take a lot of those minutes so that the starters can rest.

And then there's the question of Kobe. Will he be close to his old self? If he can get close by the end of the season, the Lakers will surprise a lot of people.

I think he might just be too old to be his [not] so "old" self. He's near the age when retirement is calling.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, I'd say the Cavs stand a chance of winning the Eastern Conference...next year.

I don't expect them to contend for a title this year, but I think they have a shot to at least make the playoffs. They're still rebuilding, but I think they are on the right path toward improvement.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
No they don't.
All teams do. It just boils down to which teams end up playing well. Come next season, I expect the Cavs to place well.
This season? Nope. Not now. There is a time and place for everything.

To clarify, what I meant by Next Year was Next Season.

I'm just too used to the PBA way of doing things, down to the physicality and all.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
All teams do. It just boils down to which teams end up playing well. Come next season, I expect the Cavs to place well.
This season? Nope. Not now. There is a time and place for everything.

To clarify, what I meant by Next Year was Next Season.

I'm just too used to the PBA way of doing things, down to the physicality and all.

Pacers, Heat and Bulls will all still be better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon