NBA Basketball - 2013/14 season

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
If the season were to end now, Orlando and their band of misfit toys would be in the playoffs.....

Everyone good with a 4 game regular season???

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
So I take it you're not a Spoelstra fan? I think he does a pretty good job.

Honestly, he may be a good Xs and Os guy but he fails miserably at setting proper rotations. He's reactive, not proactive. With the talent he has, Chalmers or Cole should be able to push the rock instead of looking to the sidelines every time up. Ain't got nothing personal against him, I just don't think he's a complete coach.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, he may be a good Xs and Os guy but he fails miserably at setting proper rotations. He's reactive, not proactive. With the talent he has, Chalmers or Cole should be able to push the rock instead of looking to the sidelines every time up. Ain't got nothing personal against him, I just don't think he's a complete coach.

From my point of view he does an excellent job with a dysfunctional roster. I also don't think Chalmers or Cole are that good, although Cole has potential. If Miami had a center like Tyson Chandler the team would have a different look on offense and the defensive style would be totally different.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
From my point of view he does an excellent job with a dysfunctional roster. I also don't think Chalmers or Cole are that good, although Cole has potential. If Miami had a center like Tyson Chandler the team would have a different look on offense and the defensive style would be totally different.

Miami hasn't had a center since the Shaq/Zo days. I thought Bird would be featured more for his post presence and how he bangs the boards. I like Bosh but he isn't a center and he shows that he really doesn't like being in the paint. Not that anything's wrong with that, Nowitzki's made a career living on the edges and he's taller and bulkier than Bosh. I saw Chalmers at Kansas and that sick run in the '08 Tournament and he looks so tentative now. He doesn't push the ball, just sets up that ridiculous half-court game Spoelstra loves.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Miami hasn't had a center since the Shaq/Zo days. I thought Bird would be featured more for his post presence and how he bangs the boards. I like Bosh but he isn't a center and he shows that he really doesn't like being in the paint. Not that anything's wrong with that, Nowitzki's made a career living on the edges and he's taller and bulkier than Bosh. I saw Chalmers at Kansas and that sick run in the '08 Tournament and he looks so tentative now. He doesn't push the ball, just sets up that ridiculous half-court game Spoelstra loves.

I really like Bosh. He's willing to play out of position and sacrifice his numbers for the team and that's rare. Also while he doesn't do well guarding centers he is able to switch off and guard perimeter players on defense along with stretching the defense with his shooting. I think if Oden ever gets healthy enough to play starter's minutes Bosh could play the same role he does now except guard power forwards instead of centers. I would like Oden to work so Miami wouldn't have to play their helter-skelter defense so much because it really wears the team down so in the later rounds of the playoffs they can't lock down as consistently.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I really like Bosh. He's willing to play out of position and sacrifice his numbers for the team and that's rare. Also while he doesn't do well guarding centers he is able to switch off and guard perimeter players on defense along with stretching the defense with his shooting. I think if Oden ever gets healthy enough to play starter's minutes Bosh could play the same role he does now except guard power forwards instead of centers. I would like Oden to work so Miami wouldn't have to play their helter-skelter defense so much because it really wears the team down so in the later rounds of the playoffs they can't lock down as consistently.

Glad you mentioned Bosh. Absolutely the gem no sees shine. He only seems to get criticized for playing poorly, never for what he does which all the box out, set picks, deny position type things wich there is no box scores for. He is the NBA equal of the Center in football: He does a ton, and if he does it right no one points him out. He only gets noticed when he does it wrong.

I see Oden as the NBA equal of Danny Amendola. A great talent, and by all accounts a great worker, but if you think his injuries are behind him you are going to be really upset when you need to find that waiver wire hotline.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I see Oden as the NBA equal of Danny Amendola. A great talent, and by all accounts a great worker, but if you think his injuries are behind him you are going to be really upset when you need to find that waiver wire hotline.

I don't know if Oden will work out, but he's in the ideal situation. Even if it wasn't the Heat I'd love to see him make it back. Hopefully he can progress and give about 20 minutes a game in three playoffs.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Dirk works down low more than people think. Yeah, he still gets a good bit of pick and pop and kicks outs. And why not since he can hit them. But he does go down in the block and back his way in for the one foot fadeaway several times a game.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Dirk works down low more than people think. Yeah, he still gets a good bit of pick and pop and kicks outs. And why not since he can hit them. But he does go down in the block and back his way in for the one foot fadeaway several times a game.

Oh, I know he does. That Finals still stings, but what I meant was that the perimeter has been his bread-n-butter. I think there has been some misunderstanding of my comments, I don't like the way Spo utilizes his rotations. It's not a slight on the players, quite the opposite. They do a fantastic job of handling unfamiliar roles.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Oh, I know he does. That Finals still stings, but what I meant was that the perimeter has been his bread-n-butter. I think there has been some misunderstanding of my comments, I don't like the way Spo utilizes his rotations. It's not a slight on the players, quite the opposite. They do a fantastic job of handling unfamiliar roles.

Could you give an example of unfamiliar roles? The only ones that really play out of position are Bosh and Battier even though Spo aims for a position less team so to speak.

Just want to add I'm not trying to be argumentative, Lord knows I'm not a basketball whiz, I'm just trying to see what you're seeing.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Could you give an example of unfamiliar roles? The only ones that really play out of position are Bosh and Battier even though Spo aims for a position less team so to speak.

Just want to add I'm not trying to be argumentative, Lord knows I'm not a basketball whiz, I'm just trying to see what you're seeing.

LeBron covering point guards (Tony Parker), 2 guards (Derrick Rose) sometimes centers. Leaving Wade alone on the weak side even though Wade is capable, you're taking away his shot blocking skills when the Heat don't have an eraser. Shane Battier has no business covering Hibbert or Duncan, too much length and bulk.

James is an all-world defender. But if he's chasing guards around, he's not helping on the boards. Hibbert killed us last year and exposed that weakness. It's no different than asking a linebacker to cover Calvin Johnson. He's gonna beat you long or leave the 2nd layer open for big runs. Pick your poison.

I know you're not trying to bust my chops. Fact is, I enjoy civil discussion on any topic and this is the best thread going.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
LeBron covering point guards (Tony Parker), 2 guards (Derrick Rose) sometimes centers. Leaving Wade alone on the weak side even though Wade is capable, you're taking away his shot blocking skills when the Heat don't have an eraser. Shane Battier has no business covering Hibbert or Duncan, too much length and bulk.

James is an all-world defender. But if he's chasing guards around, he's not helping on the boards. Hibbert killed us last year and exposed that weakness. It's no different than asking a linebacker to cover Calvin Johnson. He's gonna beat you long or leave the 2nd layer open for big runs. Pick your poison.

I know you're not trying to bust my chops. Fact is, I enjoy civil discussion on any topic and this is the best thread going.

Ok, I see what you're saying. To me most of that boils down to how they constructed the roster. The way I see it their goal on offense is to work off of LeBron for three pointers or drives to the basket. Unfortunately this compromises the defense. The only players on the Heat that are good defenders individually are LeBron, Wade and to an extent Bosh. While LeBron plays in the post a lot on offense, he typically doesn't guard the opposing power forward to save energy. This is why Battier ends up on post players a lot even though he isn't as good a defender as LeBron. Typically LeBron ends up guarding the other teams best player in the fourth quarter in playoff games whether it's the point guard or whatever. Unfortunately Chalmers and Ray Allen aren't good defenders so Wade (when healthy) and LeBron usually have to carry the load. I did disagree with Wade guarding Paul George last season in the conference finals. That would have been a tough job even if he was healthy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99