NBA Basketball - 2013/14 season

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Lebron will be an all time great and put up fantastic numbers. But he will never be the cold blooded, refuse to lose assassin that Jordan, Kobe, Bird and Magic were. In the series against the Mavs and other playoff series, there have been times when Lebron did not want the ball or the shot. He was passing it as soon as he got it. You would never see the above mentioned players do that. They lived for that moment and wanted the ball in their hands. Jason Terry even called him out then took it to him. Jordan or Kobe would've wiped the floor with Jet and destroyed him if he said that to them. Unreal ability and talent and all time stats are fine. But he does not compare to them in this other important area.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Lebron will be an all time great and put up fantastic numbers. But he will never be the cold blooded, refuse to lose assassin that Jordan, Kobe, Bird and Magic were. In the series against the Mavs and other playoff series, there have been times when Lebron did not want the ball or the shot. He was passing it as soon as he got it. You would never see the above mentioned players do that. They lived for that moment and wanted the ball in their hands. Jason Terry even called him out then took it to him. Jordan or Kobe would've wiped the floor with Jet and destroyed him if he said that to them. Unreal ability and talent and all time stats are fine. But he does not compare to them in this other important area.

Even though he was taken from us way too soon, the most cold-blooded assassin I ever saw played for the Nets. His name was Drazen Petrovic.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Even though he was taken from us way too soon, the most cold-blooded assassin I ever saw played for the Nets. His name was Drazen Petrovic.

You are so right. I'm a little older than you so I remember the players you mentioned earlier and Drazen. How much of a treat would it have been to see Sabonis in his prime and not the shell that finally played in the NBA years later?

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

The Dallas series is one LeBron is never going to live down. To be honest I don't understand how he could go from making clutch three's and locking down Rose to laying an egg against the Mavericks. I agree that Jordan and Kobe are/were continually in attack mode with no hesitation and both have made plenty of shots with the game on the line. I think Jordan started and Kobe reinforced the illusion that the best player on the team should take the final shot no matter what. Everyone forgets when discussing LeBron that Jordan passed to Paxson for a winning shot in the finals. Kobe has no issues with taking the final shot whether it's one on five or not. I think LeBron should have the ball in his hand in crunch time, but he should make the best play which isn't always him taking the shot. The way he draws the defense odds are if he gets doubleteamed there will be someone open with a clear look and few are better at hitting a teammate with a good pass than Lebron.

You are so right. I'm a little older than you so I remember the players you mentioned earlier and Drazen. How much of a treat would it have been to see Sabonis in his prime and not the shell that finally played in the NBA years later?

I don't know why, but I really don't remember Drazen. Maybe because he was on the Nets and his games weren't on prime time much? I've seen Sabonis on youtube and he was very impressive.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
In regards to Kobe, I tend to not count the first three rings for purposes of all time great measuring purposes. My reasoning is that Shaq was the best player on those teams. I'm not saying Kobe wasn't very important, but Shaq was the horse they rode. In my thinking if you weren't the best player on the team the ring doesn't count in all time great standings. Otherwise Robert Horry has seven and he'd be ranked quite high and we all know he was a role player.

This is great discussion, keep it up!

Shaq was definitely the most dominant force. His sheer size made teams have to focus on him.

I personally wouldn't call him the best player though. Skill-wise it wasn't even close. Kobe could run circles around him.

Shaq would have no chance of ever having an 81 point game.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The Dallas series is one LeBron is never going to live down. To be honest I don't understand how he could go from making clutch three's and locking down Rose to laying an egg against the Mavericks. I agree that Jordan and Kobe are/were continually in attack mode with no hesitation and both have made plenty of shots with the game on the line. I think Jordan started and Kobe reinforced the illusion that the best player on the team should take the final shot no matter what. Everyone forgets when discussing LeBron that Jordan passed to Paxson for a winning shot in the finals. Kobe has no issues with taking the final shot whether it's one on five or not. I think LeBron should have the ball in his hand in crunch time, but he should make the best play which isn't always him taking the shot. The way he draws the defense odds are if he gets doubleteamed there will be someone open with a clear look and few are better at hitting a teammate with a good pass than Lebron.

I don't know why, but I really don't remember Drazen. Maybe because he was on the Nets and his games weren't on prime time much? I've seen Sabonis on youtube and he was very impressive.

Petro was killed in a car crash in Europe around 1992. This was during the "dark ages" for the Heat so not too many remember him. He absolutely shredded us with the ball in his hands and was lethal from behind the arc. Chuck Daly said he would have been one of the top ten shooters all time.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

That reminds me of the All-Star game where Kobe was guarding LeBron at the end of the game. Kobe was in front of him with the clock winding down and yelled at LeBron, "Shoot the (effing) ball!" in order to try to get him to step up. LeBron passed... and lost.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Shaq was definitely the most dominant force. His sheer size made teams have to focus on him.

I personally wouldn't call him the best player though. Skill-wise it wasn't even close. Kobe could run circles around him.

I so agree. Now to be honest I am a Orlando Magic fan, but I had no real problem with him leaving for the Lakers. I also give him his due for getting the Magic to the finals, even though Olujuwon played circles around him. He was physically dominate and the last great center we have seen.

But he was what he was: Physical. I am sorry, when the ball came down the court on those great Laker teams, it wasn't Shaq disrupting the other teams, it was Kobe. Shaq was unstoppable in the paint, and his 3 play-off MVP's showed that. But Kobe just played circles around the outside of the paint and teams had to adjust to him and get out of their "d" formations, opening them up for Shaq to toy around with whatever was left under the basket. Wade did the same thing in Miami.

No slam on Shaq, he was an all time great and an amazingly fun character. But I think Kobe was better. I do not LIKE Kobe as much, I just thought he was better. Like.... by far better.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Hey, Mase- last unbeaten in the NBA= the Indiana Pacers!!

Nice start!

I tend to want to wait on proclaiming teams good/bad until about 20 games into the season, but I am going to go ahead and call this one:

The Pacers... not to shabby.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

I'm saying at the time of there three titles Shaq was better. Of course Kobe ended up being much better, at the time Shaq was in his prime and Kobe was still young. Aso Shaq didn't have Kobe's work ethic, especially after the first title. Shaq had a career high of 61, so no he didn't get 81, but neither did Jordan if that's the measuring stick for who's better.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
And the Lakers beat Houston. Woo hoo!

Amazing considering Houston had close to 50 free throw attempts. That's pretty insane. You can't breathe on Harden without it being a foul.

Pau shot 1/10. Ouch.

Kobe still out.

Thank goodness Dwight played as well foe Houston as he did for LA.

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site

Amazing considering Houston had close to 50 free throw attempts. That's pretty insane. You can't breathe on Harden without it being a foul.

Pau shot 1/10. Ouch.

Kobe still out.

Glad they pulled it off, after blowing a big lead. It made my night bearable with my Ducks loosing to Stanford.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

Pau shot 1/10. Ouch.

Kobe still out.

I've never been a fan of Howard and he didn't do anything to change my opinion last night. I was expecting him to have a big game last night to show the Lakers he made the right choice, but so much for that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss