NBA Basketball - 2013/14 season

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The preseason has already started, and I'm excited.

Can Miami defend their title?

Will Chicago be spoiler now that they have Rose back?

Are the Nets a legitimate contender?

How will Kobe be when he comes back from his Achilles injury? Will the Lakers be better off without Howard because of improved team chemistry?

Will Houston be a contender now that they have Howard?

Golden State has am amazing back court. Will they be able to get to the next level this year?

Will the Clippers have a new focus with Doc Rivers as coach?

Can Andrew Bynum come back healthy? Will he play well with Irving and actually make the Cavs relevant again?

Has OKC already reached their peak? Can they be better this year?

NBA Action. It's FAAAAAAANNNNNNTTTTASSSTTTIIIIIC!!

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
Being a Lakers fan I will be happy if they make it to the playoffs again, with or without Kobe. No amount of team chemistry can make up for D'Antoni's horrible 1 dimension coaching. Jim Buss needs to disappear for pulling the rug from under Phil. smh

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Being a Lakers fan I will be happy if they make it to the playoffs again, with or without Kobe. No amount of team chemistry can make up for D'Antoni's horrible 1 dimension coaching. Jim Buss needs to disappear for pulling the rug from under Phil. smh

I'm over that already. I would have loved to have Phil back, but oh well.

From what's being said in training camp, there is a really big commitment to team defense. D'antoni is actually focusing on that before offense so far. Maybe he's been hearing all the criticism. Or maybe it's because he hired Rambis as a defensive assistant.

I expect Kobe to come back strong. His game is primarily based on skill as opposed to athleticism, so I don't think he'll lose too much. I hope to see him before Thanksgiving.

I really love how Xavier Henry has been looking in the preseason. He's got a lot of potential. He's aggressive, strong, and athletic. Hopefully he makes the team and takes all the minutes that would have gone to Meeks.

Farmar looked really good in his preseason game. I knew that he had improved overseas, and that this system was almost tailor made for him. I expected to see him excel and it looks like that expectation was a good one.

Nick Young was a great pick up. He'll do really well in this system.

Kaman looked really good.

Gasol and Nash looked good of course.

I think that if Kobe comes back at 90% of what he was last year, this team will make a lot of noise. Last year's team was full of chemistry problems. The news coming out of camp says that this year's team feels like there's a really good and positive vibe. Players are happy and excited to be playing with each other.

Maybe I'm just an unrealistic homer, but I'm with Kobe. Championship aspirations. And yes... I believe.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Lakers should be better... but really, what can you expect? Even if the chemistry is better- and it can't get worse- this isn't a team that can hang in this loaded West.

The Spurs may have spent their last good run last year. Be neat to see Duncan get one more. The man is a top 10 all time great, and gets very little love.

I am expecting a motivated Dwight Howard. Certainly is no excuse for him now. Like Houston to be a serious contender.

Chicago can challenge the Heat. No doubt in my mind.

Glad LeBron haters have to shut up now. Except in Ohio. They get a lifetime pass to make him a Sith Lord, mostly due to having very little else to cheer for or against in the pro sports arena.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I hope to see Bynum healthy soon and beasting. I think that when he's healthy, he's a better center than Howard. He's more fundamentally sound and is just... taller. He's got a variety of post moves and can contest shots without jumping as much as Howard has to. I think the Cavs will make some noise. They won't challenge for the top spots, but they will be a pretty decent team.

I see this year's Lakers like last year's Spurs. There are some good young prospects that were actually high draft picks when they came into the league. Some of them may not have been in a system that supported their skill set. But they are talented players.

A foundation of Kobe, Gasol, and Nash is solid. They may be old, but all of them have games that are based more on skill than athleticism. Gasol is probably still the most skilled offensive Center in the league. Nash is still the best passer and shooter. Kobe is hopefully still Kobe. That's the biggest question mark.

As for the loaded West... I don't think Golden State and the Clippers will live up to expectations. I actually think the Lakers stand a chance. The main challenge will be OKC.

Chicago was really good last year without Rose. I think they can challenge for the title this year.

For some reason I think that Indiana is going to drop. Paul George already got his big pay day. I don't think he'll consciously play worse... but there may be a little less of an edge.

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
I'm over that already. I would have loved to have Phil back, but oh well.

From what's being said in training camp, there is a really big commitment to team defense. D'antoni is actually focusing on that before offense so far. Maybe he's been hearing all the criticism. Or maybe it's because he hired Rambis as a defensive assistant.

I expect Kobe to come back strong. His game is primarily based on skill as opposed to athleticism, so I don't think he'll lose too much. I hope to see him before Thanksgiving.

I really love how Xavier Henry has been looking in the preseason. He's got a lot of potential. He's aggressive, strong, and athletic. Hopefully he makes the team and takes all the minutes that would have gone to Meeks.

Farmar looked really good in his preseason game. I knew that he had improved overseas, and that this system was almost tailor made for him. I expected to see him excel and it looks like that expectation was a good one.

Nick Young was a great pick up. He'll do really well in this system.

Kaman looked really good.

Gasol and Nash looked good of course.

I think that if Kobe comes back at 90% of what he was last year, this team will make a lot of noise. Last year's team was full of chemistry problems. The news coming out of camp says that this year's team feels like there's a really good and positive vibe. Players are happy and excited to be playing with each other.

Maybe I'm just an unrealistic homer, but I'm with Kobe. Championship aspirations. And yes... I believe.

I do hope that D'Antoni proves me wrong, and that Rambus does indeed have some say in the coaching.. My comment wasn't a dig at Kobe, but more on my uncertainty of D'Antoni. Kobe will be a beast until he retires, his skill set and understanding of the game is the best I have ever seen. And I have been watching since the "Showtime" Lakers. I do agree with you on how everyone else is looking. I have been watching all the games so far on NBATV, and plan on getting League Pass. The Lakers are my favorite team of my favorite sports teams. :grin:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Lakers should be better... but really, what can you expect? Even if the chemistry is better- and it can't get worse- this isn't a team that can hang in this loaded West.

The Spurs may have spent their last good run last year. Be neat to see Duncan get one more. The man is a top 10 all time great, and gets very little love.

I am expecting a motivated Dwight Howard. Certainly is no excuse for him now. Like Houston to be a serious contender.

Chicago can challenge the Heat. No doubt in my mind.

Glad LeBron haters have to shut up now. Except in Ohio. They get a lifetime pass to make him a Sith Lord, mostly due to having very little else to cheer for or against in the pro sports arena.

I hope the LeBron haters DON'T shut up. It'll make him want to stay here where he's appreciated.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I do hope that D'Antoni proves me wrong, and that Rambus does indeed have some say in the coaching.. My comment wasn't a dig at Kobe, but more on my uncertainty of D'Antoni. Kobe will be a beast until he retires, his skill set and understanding of the game is the best I have ever seen. And I have been watching since the "Showtime" Lakers. I do agree with you on how everyone else is looking. I have been watching all the games so far on NBATV, and plan on getting League Pass. The Lakers are my favorite team of my favorite sports teams. :grin:

How did you like that Gasol/Kaman tandem last night? That looked pretty smooth didn't it? They've got some good chemistry already.

...and the passes that Nash makes sometimes... unreal. How does he do that?

I wish Farmar played. I want to see what a rotation of Nash/Farmar would look like.

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
How did you like that Gasol/Kaman tandem last night? That looked pretty smooth didn't it? They've got some good chemistry already.

...and the passes that Nash makes sometimes... unreal. How does he do that?

I wish Farmar played. I want to see what a rotation of Nash/Farmar would look like.

The Gasol/Kaman tandem looked good! And it looks like Nash is healthy too.

Famar didn't play because of a Calf strain, but he should fit in nicely. I have been a fan of his since his UCLA days. It's sad that they cut Gadzuric, as he was another good one from UCLA.

sinic999

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Lakers lineup this season seems more energetic compared to last year. I hope Kobe will come back strong :). This year's western conference team seems stronger compared to last year :(

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Farmar looked good yesterday.

I agree with sinc999's observation that the team looks much more energetic. When the rotations are finalized, I hope that we have a bench that can keep the pressure on.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Great to see Greg Oden back on an NBA court. Even if it was just pre-season, the promise is there. Took a pass under the rim and promptly slammed it home. Haven't had that inside presence since the Shaq/Zo days. Fingers crossed.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Great to see Greg Oden back on an NBA court. Even if it was just pre-season, the promise is there. Took a pass under the rim and promptly slammed it home. Haven't had that inside presence since the Shaq/Zo days. Fingers crossed.

Bynum had a similar presence. He's a beast when healthy.

My fear about Oden is that he'll play about 10 games and then go out for the season.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
The Lakers are too old to keep up with athletic teams like the Thunder and Clippers. I think they are looking at a first round exit regardless of how Kobe plays. I think the Spurs or Thunder make it out of the West. I think it's safe to say the east will come down to the Bulls, Pacers and Heat. If the Heat want to win it this year Dwyane Wade had better be healthy this year. I hope Oden will be able to give 20 minutes a game in the playoffs. As great as LeBron is I don't think he will be able to carry the Heat to the title like last year, they will need everyone healthy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte