Suggest some good bands

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
So, I was wondering if somebody could suggest some bands which have jaw dropping songs (with eargasmic solos). I'm looking forward to Classic, hard, progressive and anything related to rock and metal. I incline towards bues a bit too.

Just please don't suggest doom,death and symphonic. Also please no metalcore and stuff like that.
Collection.jpg
I'll attach a screenshot as to what bands I have already in my collection.

I'm sorry if that feels like a truckload of restrictions.

Not included in that screenshot are Judas Priest, everything by Clapton, Pink Floyd, Slayer, Metallica, Kiss, Anthrax, Bad Religion, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Buckethead, Breaking Benjamin, The Cars, The Virtues, Corrosion of Conformity, Eagles, Electric Light Orchestra, Foreigner, Golden Earrings, Imagine Dragons, Jethro Tull, Megadeth, Paradise Lost, Peter Frampton, Prince, REO Speedwagon, Red Rider, Ted Nugent, U2, Nightranger, White Lion, Quicksilver Messenger Service, The Racounters, REM, Nirvana, Rolling Stones

And suggest also (please) some awesome songs by Meatloaf.

I beg of you guys, I have no other life than listening to music and reading up articles on Biological sciences and being on Fanfiction.

Again, Thank you guys.

Last edited:

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I would suggest Rise Against the Machine and a metal band which is called Black Sabbath I can't think of anymore right now.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
New stuff I've found I like is Imagine Dragons and Capital Cities... But an old obscure band I like is Unwritten Law.

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
You might check out Byzantine. Probably one of the most underrated/unexposed metal bands out there. They might be too heavy for you so I apologize if its outside your criteria.

You might want to give some old school Testament a look as well.

Can't really think of any hard/classic that you don't already have.

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
You might check out Byzantine. Probably one of the most underrated/unexposed metal bands out there. They might be too heavy for you so I apologize if its outside your criteria.

You might want to give some old school Testament a look as well.

Can't really think of any hard/classic that you don't already have.

Woah, Testament blew me away, Return to Serenity is beautiful. In tears!!

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Bad Religion is worth giving a listen to. Their new album, True North, in particular, has some sweet guitar solos. Bob Marley should be a part of every music lover's collection as well. For a great sampling of his work, there is a remastered version of the Bob Marley and the Wailers album Legends available on Xbox Music. Also check out Sublime, Suicidal Tendencies, Soundgarden, Yes, Rush... And I think BIGPADDY meant *Rage* Against the Machine. :) They are worth checking out as well. For a more pop sound be sure to check out Third Eye Blind. If you can tolerate preachy gospel lyrics, the earlier work of the group Third Day has some brilliant guitar gems. The songs Consuming Fire and Nothing Compares come to mind.

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Bad Religion is worth giving a listen to. Their new album, True North, in particular, has some sweet guitar solos. Bob Marley should be a part of every music lover's collection as well. For a great sampling of his work, there is a remastered version of the Bob Marley and the Wailers album Legends available on Xbox Music. Also check out Sublime, Suicidal Tendencies, Soundgarden, Yes, Rush... And I think BIGPADDY meant *Rage* Against the Machine. :) They are worth checking out as well. For a more pop sound be sure to check out Third Eye Blind. If you can tolerate preachy gospel lyrics, the earlier work of the group Third Day has some brilliant guitar gems. The songs Consuming Fire and Nothing Compares come to mind.

I listen to Bad Religion, Yes, Rush, Soundgarden and RATM a too. Bob Marley, not my forte, though I love his songs, they're beautiful, I somehow fall asleep. (sighs sheepishly).

Will check out the others.

Thanks.

Santiago Pedraza

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a friend who's got a band for a few years now. They are from Madrid, Spain but they only sing in English. I don't know if you would like their style but you should definitely check them out. Their band is called Banda Cojones.

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I have a friend who's got a band for a few years now. They are from Madrid, Spain but they only sing in English. I don't know if you would like their style but you should definitely check them out. Their band is called Banda Cojones.

Will check them out and let you know!! thanks!

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Alter Bridge, Bloc Party, Feeder, Maximo Park, Muse (surprised no one mentioned them yet!), Tenacious D (just for laughs), Thirteen Senses.

And Santana.

You absolutely must have some Santana.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'll make some suggestions based on the various places I've lived.

Canada - The Tea Party, I Mother Earth, Our Lady Peace, Sum 41, The Tragically Hip, April Wine, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Sloan, Triumph

Australia - Midnight Oil (get away from the mainstream crap, check out a best of), Powder Finger (a bit pop), Wolfmother, The Living End, Silverchair (older stuff), Spiderbait

UK - The Who (you didn't mention them), Queen (same), David Bowie (best of for a taste), The Cure, The Smiths, Cream, Muse

Finland - The Rasmus, Nightwish, HIM - There are many metal bands in Finland. Not all do English though.

Others - Nine Inch Nails (there's some great heavy guitar songs), Foo Fighters, Audioslave, The Offspring, Van Halen, Motely Crue, Guns & Roses, Aerosmith, Ramones, Red Hot Chili Peppers

Last edited:

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Queen, The Who were in the screenshot,man.

I like Backman-Turner Overdrive, Wolfmother, David Bowie, Muse; NIN (heard some songs).

The Cure (did they even make happy songs?)

Foofoghters;Audioslave (I find them ok).

I love Clapton and hence love Cream, did a marathon last week. RHCP is kinda cool :wink: .

Fan of Nikki Sixx hence Motley Crue and Sixx AM, I dig 'em.

The Offspring is cool too.

Van Halen: they do have their songs, but some are plain eardrum wrecking in the bad sense. Their songs kinda bores me, but they are good.

Spiderbait: Wooohooo, for Black Betty and giving us one of the most memorable NFSU2 songs and I won quite a lot URL tourneys using my Celica thanks to this song. (BTW Celica was the best car in the game) :wink:

Ramones, GNR are good but Aerosmith kills them, imho.

AAaaaaaaaaannnd since I got nothing better to do, I check the others.

PS. Gary Moore and Jimi Hendrix, SRV, Eric Johnson, Robin Trower are awesome.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Queen, The Who were in the screenshot,man.

Sorry about that, wasn't my best day yesterday.

The Cure (did they even make happy songs?)

Quick story about The Cure or specifically Porl Thompson. A long while back I saw the Page & Plant tour in Toronto (I think it was around 95) anyway they did a cover of Lullaby and Porl took lead of course and the song was really well done, Plant was excellent on vocals too. I sort of got an appreciation for the music after that. I wasn't much of a Cure fan before. Lullaby is still one of my favourtie songs by them even though I know it's a rather meaningless song.

As for happy songs, there are a few that I really like, regardless of the lyrics. The songs just have a feeling to them. Which is what I typically go by with music.

Van Halen: they do have their songs, but some are plain eardrum wrecking in the bad sense. Their songs kinda bores me, but they are good.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of Van Halen either. Was mostly a suggestion.

PS. Gary Moore and Jimi Hendrix, SRV, Eric Johnson, Robin Trower are awesome.

I recently went to Jimi Hendrix's flat here in London. They're planning to open it permanently in the near future. Such a sad story and a bit of a conspiracy covering his death still.

When it comes to music I'm a bit unconventional in what I like and why I like it. I don't have 'favourite' groups as such, though I go through stages where I'll listen to a certain group or artist for a period of time. I've come to the conclusion that I like the feelings from songs more than what I get from the lyrics. I didn't really like Tool when I first heard their music but I eventually got to know the music better and became a fan. Same goes for NIN and other groups. If you were to ask me my favourite Metallica album I would say St. Anger or their earlier stuff. I personally think St. Anger is by far their best though even though it wasn't commercially successful and not very polish sounding. I just like the rawness of the whole thing.

Have you tried listening to A Perfect Circle at all?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb