Headphones Thread!

avigyan

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Had been using the Skullcandy Inkd 2 for a year until it accidentally tore. And I am stuck with Nokia's default headphones that come with the 920. Sorry I forgot the model number.

avigyan

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Does anybody know how good or bad the JBL J33 is? I am really looking forward to getting a new pair of headphones but nothing as pricey as a pair of Beats. Something mid-range. I listen to a lot of dance and electronica so please suggest accordingly.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Does anybody know how good or bad the JBL J33 is? I am really looking forward to getting a new pair of headphones but nothing as pricey as a pair of Beats. Something mid-range. I listen to a lot of dance and electronica so please suggest accordingly.
What price range?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm...while not as extensive, here's my list:

- Nokia Coloud Pop (red), my super spare
- Nokia Purity Cans (cyan), for both my T100 and Z Ultra
- Skull Candy Titan (2012, Black + Chrome) for my 925
- House of Marley Smile Jamaica, for my 8X
Honorable mention is my Sony HBH-20 that allows me to plug in any headphones and go Bluetooth that way.

The Marley headset goes great with my 8X. Funny enough I get full volume control when I plug in my Purity Cans into my Z Ultra. Love that. The cans I also use as my hands free at home.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Ultimate Ears Triple-Fi 10 in ear Headphones. 3 independent, shielded, drivers per ear. Fantastic accuracy and bass. You don't want the Logitech version. You can tell the difference because the originals are a mettalic aqua color. Originally $400 got mine new on eBay for $200. Best headphones I've ever owned or heard by far. Forewarning though these ear buds are so efficient you will hurt your ears if you start listening with the volume maxed out.

Last edited:

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
The two driver version is great as well and about 95% as good and far cheaper if $200 is out of your range. Will absolutely blow away any beats headphone in quality by a large measure! Not just opinion, these headsets are the real deal. Unfortunately Logitech owns them now and quality has gone down since the buyout. That is why I recomend the old model when it was actually made and engineered by ue/ultimate ears.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Sennheiser Momentum for ear-cuppers, and Ultimate Ears Triple-Fi for in-ear use.

Not cheap, but sound amazing.
The founder of ue has opened another company and has made some big improvements on his old designs if you want me to get the info. The firemd of mine that turned me onto EU was in Florida and wanted his custom ue adjusted and retuned and the guy there added a couple of the new drivers and new wires. My friend says its a huge improvement on an already fantastic set of in ears.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Huh. No Beat's hater/trolls arrived yet.....

I use Beat's Tour 2's for when I'm out (and don't want to mess up my hair) and a couple different headphones at home. An old Fender branded headset for gaming, my Beat's Solo HD's for music, and an old Sony headphone that I use when producing music (rarely happens anymore).

Don't hate beats. To each their own. The trolls as you call them are just fristrated that they get so much press while their are so many far superior headphones I the same price range or cheaper. I have come across many grandmas, family members looking at them as presents for kids. First thing I ask is does this person want the best headphones for the price range, or just a set of beats because their cool/their friends have them. If ots the second one I tell them to by a pair he/she will be happy. If its the first I recomend several other headsets.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I am just now starting to look for an inexpensive set. I listen to enough music and podcasts that the ear buds things are just not cutting it. Seems Sony headphones are brought up a lot (Big Paddy smiles @ Sony props). Any other thoughts?
Their studio headphones (designated by blue stripe are one of the best bang for you buck entry headphones you can get).

Prateek Kumar

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I am selling my Nokia Coloud Pop Cyan Earphones. If anyone from Delhi, India interested in buying them please contact me. They are 3 months old with box, bill and all the other stuff. Still in warranty. I'm selling them for INR 800 i.e. Rupees 800.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Within about 2-2.5K INR, that is within 60USD approx. I was thinking of JAYS One. I did a bit of research and found it to be appreciated mostly. Does anyone actually know how it is in reality?
Not familiar with that brand. The Sony classic studio headphones retail for around $100 but can commonly be found on eBay for around that price.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I have the following:
- Sennheiser HD428
- UE 400vis
- Beats Studios (fake, from China, but IMO they sound better than the real ones :p)

I also recently invested in some V-MODA M100s from the MS store after reading up on numerous positive reviews from audiophiles and websites alike. They're not cheap, but the design is absolutely fantastic, they're durable from end-to-end (Kevlar cable, full-metal construction, 45 degree plugs w/ detachable cables), fold up into a tiny hardshell case included and the sound quality is excellent. I have been looking endlessly for a set of portable, over-ear headphones that sound good minus the amp; of course there are some better options at a cheaper cost (read: Sennheiser HD 598) but none that fit my bill. Highly recommended headphones.

If $300 is a bit too sharp, the V-MODA XS is $100 cheaper and has the same sound, design and durability except in a more compact on-ear form. My mate has the Sennheiser Momentum On-Ears and they're pretty nicely designed too (with the signature Senns sound signature). Otherwise in terms of IEMs the UE 600vis are pretty good for the price on Amazon (if you can deal with maroon as a colour), and in terms of cheap headphones, you cannot go wrong with the Koss PortaPros.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Keep in mind for in ear headphones that are of quality the air seal (is proper fit has more effect I quality than anything, case in point, my ue with poor fitting ear attachment hurt the sound. But with the foams or proper fitting attachments, I have really small ear openings, make the sound full, emersive, and detailed. Seinhousers are great, Sony upper end are great, and old EU are untouchable without spending $750 or more. In ear depend on sound isolation greatly. The same set with a poor seal sound decent but with a proper seal sound fantastic.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My go-to pair used to be a Monoprice 8320 and I liked them. I'd say they're worth it at ~$8-10 or so.

Only complaints was the odd design (I didn't mind, had to explain use to other people though), and lack of a microphone and buttons. The cloth cable twisted up a bit awkwardly sometimes.

Might pick up something else soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon