Qualcomm Snapdragon 805

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Why would the 800 be a waste?

With that kind of logic, the 805 will also be a waste because there is ALWAYS going to be something better coming later.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
...and it's not in devices yet. And probably won't be for several months. And when it first launches it will be expensive.

So yeah... LoL

Also, the 4k stuff is just marketing BS. It can't get TRUE 4k in high quality. It's going to process enough pixels to make the claim, but it's not like having a dedicated 4k camera. Even TRUE 1080 is tough to do. A dedicated 720 high quality camcorder will beat 1080 phones in image quality.

But I agree that the improvement is huge.

It will likely first make its way into tablets in a few months. Then months after that it will be in phones.

So I suppose you could wait and wait and wait. Dont want to waste money on an 800 when you have the option to waste time instead and pay more money later.

:)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It's amazing how people can get excited over nothing but a press release full of marketing fluff...

Based on the press release, the CPU cores are probably identical to those in the S800. It is likely that nothing was improved but the layout, allowing for a slightly higher clock frequency. Maybe I'm misreading that, but I'd be more optimistic if they'd have also announced that it will be manufactured on TSMC's 20nm or 16nm node. The fact that this information was omitted suggests there will be little difference.

The GPU might be awesome, or it might offer nothing substantial over the S800 at all. I admit that the memory bandwidth specification is impressive... for a smartphone (even a low end nVidia 440 GT achieves over 50 GB/sec when paired with GDDR5 memory). It will be interesting to see if smartphones actually ship with memory modules that support that level of performance though... my guess is they won't, and that we'll only see them in tablets.

Unfortunately, end-to-end support for 4k resolutions is the only thing Qualcomm really mentioned. As far as display resolution is concerned, I consider that an idiotic and entirely boring spec, which is good for nothing but baiting uninformed consumers (4k display resolutions would be far more interesting if we were talking about tablets or computer monitors...)

For camera and media support, 4k support makes much more sense, but that still isn't enough to support Nokia's 41MP sensor directly, meaning even with the S805, Nokia must still go around the hardware DSP and do everything in software... better, but still not awesome.

Then we have the statement that the GPU performs 40% better then its predecessor, but they don't specify what exactly that means? Possibly a 40% performance boost across the board (probably not)? Just pixel fill rate (probably, due to the higher memory bandwidth)? Geometry and pixel shader performance (unlikely, but that would be cool)? The little that they do say is far to vague to warrant any excitement.

Finally, even in the unlikely event that performance is improved by 40% across the board, pairing this with a 4k display will increase the GPU's workload by over 300%, meaning the GPU's performance improvement is nowhere close to keeping up with the higher demands placed on it by a 4k display:

1920 x 1080 = 2'073'600 pixels = 100%
3996 ? 2160 = 8'631'360 pixels = 316% +

EDIT:
Apparently the S805 will be produced on TSMC's 20nm node, but the CPU hasn't been notably improved over the previous Krait 400 CPU regardless.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion