Winamp will leave this mean world soon

unnatixlr8

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Guys our old school winamp will no longer be available after 20 December 2013,
So if you want to keep a copy to show it to next generation.. Then download and keep a copy of it..

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I didn't even know Winamp was still around until I saw all the articles about its discontinuation yesterday. I haven't used it in years.

CrossedFaith

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
That would be nice. Winamp has always been a good music player. I really would hate to see it go away. Hell, convert it to a mobile player for WP. I'd download it in a heartbeat.

Sent from my magical toaster

TheIsaacG

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I remember opening it on my computer back in the early 2000s and the sample would play, "WINAMP!!!, it really whips the llamas ***!!"

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have slowly drifted away from Winamp for day to day music player, but for many years, it was my goto media player. It was just the perfect choice at the time. I remember minimizing the player so it was the transport controls and the playlist as a single sliver I would set to Always on Top, and it would float on my second screen, near the bottom or the top of the screen, and it would pretty much always be running.

I don't just sit on my desktop for hours a day like I used to, and Zune media player took over as media player for me once I got into a Zune and Windows Phone and the ZunePass.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I too loved winamp 2 era. 3, 4 and 5 were bloated and fat though... But the vers2 skinning engine was never removed. You could unload the modern skinning engine and use the old one, removing all the bloat!

More programs need to take an approach like that.

Unfortunately winamp's last plugin was last updated circa 2002. So basically winamp no longer has any plugins. Even when they worked, most of the plugins were just bad.

Foobar2000 isn't perfect, but it has a healthy database of well coded plugins, most of which are still maintained.

I know plugins for a media player might sound silly to some, but once you have a taste of power, you can't just go back ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster