Physical size of Smartphones in general

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Surely not a WP8 specific subject, but anyway.......

Smartphones are no doubt great devices, useful in many ways, but what really bugs me is that they all are so big in size. They don't really fit anywhere besides in coats and jackets.
Doesn't really fit comfortably in jeans.

Make a phone around 90 x 50 mm in size instead of the monsters being produced now. No need for full HD screens, 800 x 480 works just fine. I'd for sure get one.
The Lumia 810 is a good phone and I like all of it except the size.

Divair

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
90 x 50? That's absurdly tiny. That's even smaller than an Asha phone, and I'm not sure how people even use those.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Think its not the size but how it "feels" in the hand. In my case, my wife's 720 beats my 920 easily. Very subjective of course. A souped-up 5in 920 with the feel/slickness of a 720.. that would be my next phone

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree that 90x50mm is too small to be a practical smartphone size. I think a 4-5" touch screen makes for a phone that is big enough to type on comfortably, read easily, but small enough to hold onto and fit in my pocket without issue.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I would like to say that I love the size of my 920, and when ATT gets the 32 GB 1520 model in Q1 2014 that I want to get it. I like the size and there's no doubt that whether you like it or not (and its personal preference) that larger screen are selling in the high end smartphone sector. Just look at the evolution of the Note from 5.2 to 5.9 in the Note 3 and they're selling like hotcakes. Windows Phone needs to keep with the Jones' in specs id what people have been saying and now we have have a quad core 1080p phone that keeps up or better.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm happy with my Lumia 822 although I don't think I'd ever buy a larger phone. Being on the, ahem, older side I appreciate the 822's readability. My last phone was a smaller Android and while I liked the form factor the screen was just too small in the end.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm guessing you have your sizing incorrect. At 50mm the phone is barely bigger than my two thumbs together and I'm around average size for a man. At that size in general it would get lost in my hand, my pocket, my carry bag.

I don't see the practicality of a smartphone that small. What do you plan to do with it? Reading anything on it would rather difficult. Maps would be pointless. Watching movies you'd need to squint at them.

Unless you can elaborate more I don't see any reason to have something this tiny and how it could be used on a day to day basis.

I'd like to add that I can carry around my L920 just fine in all my pockets.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm comfortable with the size of Lumia 920. The thing is, there's a tradeoff between screen size, which I think it's important, and how easy it is to handle. But what can be improved is the "feel in hand" that someone mentioned in this thread.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Id prefer to "go back" to around 4" screen device, Im quite comfortable with my 920, but if I could shrink it abit, I would

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I have played around with the note and note 2 and note 3. I like the size of all of them and their feel ion the hand is fine to me. I dont however like the "feel" of android that much so I was happy to finally see Nokia come out with the 1520 and will be getting it a bit later as I've said before. I' gettinthe Dellk Venue 8 Pro hopefully for me birthday which is tomorrow.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm comfortable with the size of Lumia 920. The thing is, there's a tradeoff between screen size, which I think it's important, and how easy it is to handle. But what can be improved is the "feel in hand" that someone mentioned in this thread.

I think that is important too. Well rounded edges can make a phone feel sleeker and smaller than it is.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
That was one thing that helped "sell me" on the 822. When I picked it up for the first time it just felt right.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise