How is a Chromebook not a "real" laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Alright, well, we all saw the ad from Microsoft about the Chromebook not being a "real" laptop, and frankly, it doesn't sit well with me. Although that's not to say that I disagree with the other points they were making.

Does it run the programs that most people use? Definitely not (a lot of them, but not all)

Is its functionality severely hampered when its not online? Definitely

Does it run the familiar Windows OS? We all know that to be not true

Does Google track your data? Absolutely

I agree with all of these facts, and those reasons (among others) are the exact reasons that im not getting, and never plan to get, a chromebook, but I still can't wrap my head around how its not a "real" laptop.

By definition, a laptop is "A laptop is a portable personal computer with a clamshell form factor, suitable for mobile use.[1] A laptop has most of the same components as a desktop computer, including a display, a keyboard, a pointing device such as a touchpad (also known as a trackpad) and/or a pointing stick, and speakers into a single unit. A laptop is powered by mains electricity via an AC adapter, and can be used away from an outlet using a rechargeable battery. Laptops are also sometimes called notebook computers or notebooks. Other terms, such as ultrabooks or netbooks, refer to specific types of laptop / notebook. Most of the modern day laptop computers also have a webcam and a mic (microphone) pre-installed." (sorry if that looks weird, I copy/pasted from Wikipedia from my phone, which I think has a fair definition of the word laptop).

So... How is a Chromebook not a "real" laptop? Is someone able to clarify?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Personally I expect laptop to run PC-grade software, coming down to the inability to run most desktop software makes it not a laptop to me.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Personally I expect laptop to run PC-grade software, coming down to the inability to run most desktop software makes it not a laptop to me.

but still, even if it doesn't have the programs that you want, its still a laptop, its just not one you want/need.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You're dealing in semantics. Technically, by dictionary definition, it is a laptop. In reality, however, many people would not consider it a "real" laptop because of its shortcomings.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
You're dealing in semantics. Technically, by dictionary definition, it is a laptop. In reality, however, many people would not consider it a "real" laptop because of its shortcomings.

even if it is semantics, its still false advertising. That's like me saying that the Z10 isn't a real smartphone because it doesn't have the apps I need.

Tell me this, if it was an Apple ad saying that Windows Phone wasn't a "real" phone because it lacks Facetime, would you have the same reaction?

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Tell me this, if it was an Apple ad saying that Windows Phone wasn't a "real" phone because it lacks Facetime, would you have the same reaction?

Easy there, partner, I don't care if it's considered a laptop or not. I have no interest one way or the other. You asked how it was not considered a "real" laptop and quoted the dictionary definition, I was simply saying that how the dictionary defines something and how the "real world" defines something are often not the same thing.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Easy there, partner, I don't care if it's considered a laptop or not. I have no interest one way or the other. You asked how it was not considered a "real" laptop and quoted the dictionary definition, I was simply saying that how the dictionary defines something and how the "real world" defines something are often not the same thing.

lol I'm not getting mad :p

Still, would you say a BlackBerry 10 phone isn't a "real" smarphone because it lacks apps? In the real world use, it lacks apps that most people use, but its still a real smartphone, but if Microsoft made a commercial saying how it wasn't really a smartphone, people here wouldn't have the same reaction.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
If they got rid of that one line, I'd be ok with the commercial, but when they say its not a real laptop, it really makes me think less of Microsoft.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
This is a bit similar to the 'Scroogled' Ad Campaign in nature. I was thinking its completely plausible that using the same mindset Microsoft has here Apple or Google, more likely, could say Windows Phone is not a 'real' phone.

I think you have to remember only one thing here though. The fact you are talking about it and it got a reaction means it's been fundamentally successful.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
This bothers me for the same reason that those "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" Apple ads bothered me. A Mac is a personal computer, just like a Chomebook is a laptop. It's just a different type of laptop, and saying otherwise is just going to confuse people and encourage further misuse of the term.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I think you have to remember only one thing here though. The fact you are talking about it and it got a reaction means it's been fundamentally successful.

True, but you have to consider that this is a Microsoft-centered site and Google treats WP differently than it does other OSes so the reaction is different here than it would be for the average person.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I mean if we are going to argue for the sake of arguing. It was a Wikipedia definition, which is not a dictionary. How about if they refer to it as a portable web browser. Would that be acceptable? Because you can't argue that's what it really is. This is getting way overblown.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Of course its not a "real" laptop. It runs chrome. Google themselves don't consider it a laptop. Apple don't consider macbooks laptops either.

By definition it is a laptop, as its a clamshell pc, but by definition Pluto isn't a planet, as it is not in gravitational control over its orbit.

But we don't live in a dictionary, we live in a world of marketing, preference and mental inertia.

Most people wouldn't consider a none windows device a laptop or pc. Most people consider Pluto to be a planet.

Also, its not false advertising. Its a bad video, and its a rubbish campaign, but nothing in the video is untrue. Only semantically debatable.

Si Haworth

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Best thing I've ever bought is my Chromebook.

Have my desktop upstairs as a Plex server and my Chromebook as a light weight "laptop", or whatever you want to call it, with me around the house. Instant booting, solid 5-6 hours battery life, Spotify, Netlifx, Plex clients on it. Don't really need anything else on it. Obviously its a highly personal thing, but for my needs it's brilliant.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

Agreed. When you turn it on, it connects to the web, nothing else correct? I think you will find that the majority of consumers, regular people, will expect a laptop, either Windows-based or a Mac, in which other software programs can run. Otherwise, it's just an internet-connected.....tablet.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Let me throw out this theoretical... If all it takes for something to be classified as a laptop is a keyboard and the ability to run applications, is the iPad not a laptop when a keyboard is attached?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Let me throw out this theoretical... If all it takes for something to be classified as a laptop is a keyboard and the ability to run applications, is the iPad not a laptop when a keyboard is attached?

well, technically it needs a clampshell form-factor, but an iPad is definitely a computer. I know their marketing term is a tablet, but they're all computers, just in different forms. In that instance, it would still be a tablet unless it had a clamp shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb