How is a Chromebook not a "real" laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xratola

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't think either that the Chromebook is a laptop. Away from the dictionary a laptop for most of people is light version of a desktop computer (PC, MAC). So we go to what's a computer? It's a device which was designed for processing information and make some tasks easier but with that definition almost everything would qualify as a computer so we have to add that it's made for actually heavy information processing(Photoshop, Vegas pro, enormous games and other kind of heavy software) which couldn't be addressed with an iPad for example. Then laptops have that processing power and are not internet dependent so I would conclude that the chromebook is a tablet or whatever with a shell form-factor but never a laptop.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Just because I might sleep in the garage doesn't make me a car. The Chromebook is not a laptop in the conventional sense.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I agree with everyone here, a Chrome book is not a laptop. Just because it has that form factor doesn't mean it's one. I expect it to run applications, intensive if need be, that tablet and mobile socs can't handle. I also find it weird with such a limited OS that they would need a Celeron based Haswell. Google isn't known for optimizing there code and it still shows today. Even Windows RT ran on an S4 Dual core.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I agree with everyone here, a Chrome book is not a laptop. Just because it has that form factor doesn't mean it's one. I expect it to run applications, intensive if need be, that tablet and mobile socs can't handle. I also find it weird with such a limited OS that they would need a Celeron based Haswell. Google isn't known for optimizing there code and it still shows today. Even Windows RT ran on an S4 Dual core.

so a Windows-powered PC with a terrible processor and not that much RAM is a laptop?

What you expect from a computer and what it actually is are two different things. I could say that I expect a smartphone to have a notification center, but Windows Phone doesn't have a good notification center, therefore even though it looks like a smartphone, acts like a smartphone, and follows the definition of a smartphone, Windows Phones aren't smartphones.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Just because I might sleep in the garage doesn't make me a car. The Chromebook is not a laptop in the conventional sense.

If you had 4 wheels, an engine, and could get people from point A to point B, then yes, you would be a car, regardless of where you were.

That also raises another great analogy. If my car only drives 30mph, when I expect it to be able to use the interstate because most cars can, does that mean its not a car?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't think either that the Chromebook is a laptop. Away from the dictionary a laptop for most of people is light version of a desktop computer (PC, MAC). So we go to what's a computer? It's a device which was designed for processing information and make some tasks easier but with that definition almost everything would qualify as a computer so we have to add that it's made for actually heavy information processing(Photoshop, Vegas pro, enormous games and other kind of heavy software) which couldn't be addressed with an iPad for example. Then laptops have that processing power and are not internet dependent so I would conclude that the chromebook is a tablet or whatever with a shell form-factor but never a laptop.

1) yes, if it does that, its a computer, what's so difficult about that? A smartphone is a computer, a tablet is a computer, a laptop is a computer, a desktop is a computer, hell, even my Xbox is a computer. They're all just different form factors built for different purposes, what's so difficult about that?

2) there are windows-powered laptops with terrible specs that can't handle heavy information processing, so I guess those aren't laptops either, right?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'd expect a "real" computer to be capable of running programs offline. I wouldn't call something a "real" computer if it requires an Internet connection to perform almost any task.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I'd expect a "real" computer to be capable of running programs offline. I wouldn't call something a "real" computer if it requires an Internet connection to perform almost any task.

so if the PS4 or Xbox One shipped with a requirement to be connected online, would that make it not a "real"gaming console? Are Sim City and Diablo 3 not "real" games because they require the internet?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
so if the PS4 or Xbox One shipped with a requirement to be connected online, would that make it not a "real"gaming console? Are Sim City and Diablo 3 not "real" games because they require the internet?
I'm not even going to bother answering that one. I know nothing about gaming consoles. The only one I've ever owned was an Atari 2600 35 years ago.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
so a Windows-powered PC with a terrible processor and not that much RAM is a laptop?]

- I should've been more clear Rt=tablet
Pro=Pc (traditional sense)

What you expect from a computer and what it actually is are two different things.

Imo MS popularized the desktop and laptop and no one should have ever resembled them. When a laptop, which is directly associated as a PC doesn't do PC things, its not a PC.
What applications can you install on the hard drive? Any relevant ones that aren't tied to Google?

I could say that I expect a smartphone to have a notification center, but Windows Phone doesn't have a good notification center, therefore even though it looks like a smartphone, acts like a smartphone, and follows the definition of a smartphone, Windows Phones aren't smartphones.

Even your own logic failed. "I expect a smartphone to have a notification center", you then say windows phone doesn't have a "good one". Which one is it? So you were trying to say a smartphone needs a notification center, so windows phone is since it has one, but not as good. Am I right, or do you want to rephrase?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If you had 4 wheels, an engine, and could get people from point A to point B, then yes, you would be a car, regardless of where you were.

That also raises another great analogy. If my car only drives 30mph, when I expect it to be able to use the interstate because most cars can, does that mean its not a car?

You just feel like arguing today don't you. So because you're disagreeing with every member here I guess that makes you not a person? Go out! Get laid or something.

xratola

May 9, 2013
Visit site
1) yes, if it does that, its a computer, what's so difficult about that? A smartphone is a computer, a tablet is a computer, a laptop is a computer, a desktop is a computer, hell, even my Xbox is a computer. They're all just different form factors built for different purposes, what's so difficult about that?

2) there are windows-powered laptops with terrible specs that can't handle heavy information processing, so I guess those aren't laptops either, right?

But at the time those computers were built they could handle that information. And the rest are netbooks which are basically heavier and old/school tablets.
The chromebook as said above is like a browser with hardware. And lacks of something very important you can't develop apps on native code and no html 5 apps (which are the ones on the chrome play store) are not native code.

xratola

May 9, 2013
Visit site
You just feel like arguing today don't you. So because you're disagreeing with every member here I guess that makes you not a person? Go out! Get laid or something.

But bro your argument was totally off topic, you should've thought it a little bit more :p

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Even your own logic failed. "I expect a smartphone to have a notification center", you then say windows phone doesn't have a "good one". Which one is it? So you were trying to say a smartphone needs a notification center, so windows phone is since it has one, but not as good. Am I right, or do you want to rephrase?

fine, then plug in "I expect a smartphone to have a good notification center". Either way, what you want from a laptop and what a laptop is are different.

CopaCC

May 26, 2013
Visit site
My Chromebook does everything I need it to. I actually bought it to replace my Android tablet which didn't do everything I needed.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. When you turn it on, it connects to the web, nothing else correct? I think you will find that the majority of consumers, regular people, will expect a laptop, either Windows-based or a Mac, in which other software programs can run. Otherwise, it's just an internet-connected.....tablet.

I don't actually own a chromebook, but according to this page there's actually quite a bit that you can do with a chromebook when you're offline.

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/3214688?hl=en

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb