How is a Chromebook not a "real" laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
That's pretty much what I said earlier and you argued the point. Now you're saying it yourself.

Unless you were a truck.

not sure what you mean by that, I said that you wouldn't say a Z10 isn't a smartphone because it doesn't have the app/feature/etc... you want, but its still a smartphone. What you would hypothetically expect and what it actually is are different. I don't have any idea what you're talking about, I've kept on point this entire time.

Si Haworth

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
When Chrome OS and Android inevitably merge (they're now headed up by the same person), I think it'll be quite a powerful proposition.

An Android/Chrome OS hybrid could potentially run sufficient programs for most users of laptops.

Moving back to present Chromebooks - if your bought into the Google ecosystem and require something for light usage I don't understand why you wouldn't consider a Chromebook for your needs. If Microsoft released something similar, anyone who uses the Microsoft ecosystem would do exactly the same.

The definition of a laptop according to Oxford dictionaries is:

noun
a computer that is portable and suitable for use while travelling.

Does it meet those requirements? Yes. Does it meet the requirements for everyone who needs a laptop? Nope. It really is a personal thing. Lets not forget we're on a pro-Microsoft board here so opinions are going to be heavily skewed. I'm sure if you went on Google+ and asked the same question you would receive very different opinions.

If you think a Chromebook could/does work for you, then great? If you think that it's too lightweight and doesn't even constitute be called a laptop? Also great.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure if you went on Google+ and asked the same question you would receive very different opinions.

Somehow I doubt this. I don't think this is a matter of ****** opinions really. I'm pretty sure most avid Google fans don't see the Chromebook similar to your usual laptop. They might not go as far as to claim it's not a laptop, but I'm pretty sure most people would avoid calling it that and call it just a Chromebook.

We're pro-Microsoft here, but who here thinks Surface-product line is laptops? They can even run PC software (if Pro), is portable, clamshell design, etc.. but no one in their right mind calls it a laptop. And now someone comes up with their anecdotal opinion that laptop needs to be able to support the screen/keyboard part without a kickstand. Well, I would agree, but this is just like my original post where I argued that Chromebook is not a laptop to me cos it can't run real PC software.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
so a Windows-powered PC with a terrible processor and not that much RAM is a laptop?

What you expect from a computer and what it actually is are two different things. I could say that I expect a smartphone to have a notification center, but Windows Phone doesn't have a good notification center, therefore even though it looks like a smartphone, acts like a smartphone, and follows the definition of a smartphone, Windows Phones aren't smartphones.

Not from the general consumer standpoint. The notification center on a smartphone is a feature. Features vary from phone to phone. Smartphones do a variety of things. Example call, text, access the internet, word editing, etc. The chromebook does one thing: connect to the internet.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
not sure what you mean by that

Really? My original post in this thread was, "Technically, by dictionary definition, it is a laptop. In reality, however, many people would not consider it a "real" laptop because of its shortcomings." You debated that point with me.

Now you say, "What you expect from a computer and what it actually is are two different things." Isn't that pretty much the exact same point I made?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Really? My original post in this thread was, "Technically, by dictionary definition, it is a laptop. In reality, however, many people would not consider it a "real" laptop because of its shortcomings." You debated that point with me.

Now you say, "What you expect from a computer and what it actually is are two different things." Isn't that pretty much the exact same point I made?

not quite. You were comparing a dictionary definition to what you particularly expect from a laptop. I was comparing what you specifically want from a laptop and what people in general expect from a laptop compared to what it actually is, using the Z10 as an example. I can see how you would be confused so let me put it another way.

The dictionary definition of a smartphone is basically a phone that has more advanced computing and connectivity compared to feature phones.

People in general expect a smartphone to connect to the internet and be able to download apps.

You, specifically and hypothetically, want a smartphone that has *insert feature*. The Z10 doesn't have this feature so you don't consider the Z10 a smartphone because of this shortcoming.

Back to the computer analogy, most people don't care about this shortcoming that you have, since almost everytime someone on here writes about the "average consumer" they apparently just want to get on the internet, browse facebook, and do some light productivity (not sure if I believe that, but whatever).

The Chromebook, when connected (duh) can get on the internet. Offline, it can be used for stuff like creating documents and checking cached email (whether you believe that the Chromebook can be used offline or not is your problem, but it can).

So, regardless of dictionary definition, what YOU want from a product and what people in general want from a product are different.

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Laptops, in fact, do include the chromebook because of the definition of a "laptop." A laptop is a computing device that is mobile and folds.

In the ad, Microsoft was taking a jab at the chromebook, and how it doesn't run the common desktop programs we're used to using today.

So, is the chromebook a laptop? Yes. Does MS's advertising dept. want to go by their own definition? Yes. So in reality, should you really get offended by an advertisement? No.

Just like those Mac vs. PC ads, advertisers want to spread their word, whether it is or is not fact. Do PCs have to install drivers when you reset it? Yes. Does Apple's advertising dept. want to emphasize how Macs are usually free from hassle? Yes. Is it silly to get mad over the fact that ads make it sound like you need to install new drivers everyday? Yes.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
You are quite the word-wrangler. I think I agree with fatclue_98; it seems like you just want to argue, even when you're arguing against yourself.

I guess when I make a statement, avoiding the point seems to be the norm with you two, which is fine. I always assumed that if I made a point, someone made a counter point, then I countered that point, it was called a debate. Since multiple people make multiple points, I counter them. I've maintained the same point the entire time, but whatever.

anon(8032808)

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Well it runs one app for the near same price of a Windows notebook that runs that same app and a million others. That's enough to make it not real and a ripoff to anyone who buys one.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You are quite the word-wrangler. I think I agree with fatclue_98; it seems like you just want to argue, even when you're arguing against yourself.

If the definition of a laptop is a portable computing device that folds, then the ill-fated Palm Foleo and the Celio Redfly have to be included along with every netbook ever sold. An Ultralight is a fixed-wing heavier-than-air craft capable of self-propulsion as defined by the FAA FARs but it's hardly an airplane since a pilot's license or even a third class medical certificate is required to own or fly one.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I guess when I make a statement, avoiding the point seems to be the norm with you two, which is fine. I always assumed that if I made a point, someone made a counter point, then I countered that point, it was called a debate. Since multiple people make multiple points, I counter them. I've maintained the same point the entire time, but whatever.

Wow, you actually believe yourself. That's... awesome. :D

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
This thread has begun to lose its usefulness. Arguments for and against the definition of a 'real' laptop are circling. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss