Paul walker died in car crash

Mike Marvel

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Much more eloquently put than I think I ever could.

Because Paul Walker made a difference to my life and I know him through his movie. Before I watched "Fast and Furious", I have absolutely no sympathy for illegal street racers. After watching a few of his movies, I understand more about their culture, their motivations etc. That's not to say that I have changed my views completely or anything, but I have changed. He has an impact on me. It is true that he don't know me, but I know him.

As for the other people who also contributed to the society, may they be a soldier or a doctor, they may not have an direct impact on me, or that I just don't know them.
The sudden death of a man in his prime, whom I know, contributed to the sense of loss and realization of the frailty of my own life.
In comparison, I feel less affected by the death of Roger Rogas, whom I do not know; or of Tom Clancy whose death was not that sudden or unexpected, since he was already 66.

And I find it impolite to belittle a man's honest occupation, especially in his death thread.
I do not find an actor's job any less meaningful than that of a doctor or soldier or a teacher.
Surely, you had read or heard of how a person saved another's life because he had watched so-so performing some first-aid in some movie.
As a soldier, you would have known that movies are powerful tools in war-time.
I am guessing that you have learnt something useful in the movies you have watched. I know I have learnt much from movies.

It is not impossible that a young child was inspired to become a soldier/doctor/teacher/para-medic because of a movie he watched.

How can you not be offended if someone writes "s/he is just a "---", get over it" in the death thread of someone whom you like or respect?

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Because Paul Walker made a difference to my life and I know him through his movie. Before I watched "Fast and Furious", I have absolutely no sympathy for illegal street racers. After watching a few of his movies, I understand more about their culture, their motivations etc. That's not to say that I have changed my views completely or anything, but I have changed. He has an impact on me. It is true that he don't know me, but I know him.

As for the other people who also contributed to the society, may they be a soldier or a doctor, they may not have an direct impact on me, or that I just don't know them.
The sudden death of a man in his prime, whom I know, contributed to the sense of loss and realization of the frailty of my own life.
In comparison, I feel less affected by the death of Roger Rogas, whom I do not know; or of Tom Clancy whose death was not that sudden or unexpected, since he was already 66.

And I find it impolite to belittle a man's honest occupation, especially in his death thread.
I do not find an actor's job any less meaningful than that of a doctor or soldier or a teacher.
Surely, you had read or heard of how a person saved another's life because he had watched so-so performing some first-aid in some movie.
As a soldier, you would have known that movies are powerful tools in war-time.
I am guessing that you have learnt something useful in the movies you have watched. I know I have learnt much from movies.

It is not impossible that a young child was inspired to become a soldier/doctor/teacher/para-medic because of a movie he watched.

How can you not be offended if someone writes "s/he is just a "---", get over it" in the death thread of someone whom you like or respect?

Wow, I don't even know where to begin. You honestly think that those movies have anything to do with real life street racing culture? Wow, just wow.

You can honestly say that an actor has just as much importance as
The doctor that saves your life or the teacher who teaches children? I had no idea that someone who basically pretends to be something actually is worth as much as people who are actually out there doing something for real.

No I haven't learned much from movies, especially anything that comes out for mass consumption. Every now and then I can learn something from a documentary but it's few and far between. I much prefer to actually try ( and fail a lot) to do things in person. But I guess I could just read a few lines and pretend to be something and then I would actually be it in real life like actors do. I'm sure learning how to talk like a doctor on screen is just as hard as actually going to medical school.

I'm fine with people being motivated by movies but to believe that someone PRETENDING to be something is just as important as the people who actually PRACTICE being something is just insanity.

Mike Marvel

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm fine with people being motivated by movies but to believe that someone PRETENDING to be something is just as important as the people who actually PRACTICE being something is just insanity.

I am of the view that it is wrong to say that one job is more important than another; each serves a different role.
We need or want all of them, hence they are equally important (in this respect).
It is true that an actor cannot save even one life by pretending to be a doctor.
But he can inspire many to become a doctor. These doctors will in turn save many lives.
Can I claim that thus this actor is many more time important than any doctor?
Not to me. They are serving different and equally important roles.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
First what he said. /\

Hows about for the remainder of this thread we respect each other. If you don't agree with a persons opinion, well that has no place in this thread.

Lets all respect and honor the dead.

Paul Walker was a great actor beyond that I did not know him. In my life his contributions to movies will be missed. RIP PW

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad to hear that you heard about Roger right off the bat. I had to dig quite a bit to even find out his name.

If its not about him being famous, why is it everywhere all the time? Like I stated, many more deserving people die all the time and never rate a peep. It makes me sad that this is our society now.

From what I've read elsewhere, Roger was a race car driver or a retired one.

If you put on the news on basically any channel, you'll hear about ordinary, everyday people dying every single day. I personally choose NOT to watch the news because it's too depressing and often too sensationalized.

Also, I'll point out that I actually had no idea that Paul Walker had died until my best friend told me on Sunday night.

Jack Janik

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I am of the view that it is wrong to say that one job is more important than another; each serves a different role.
We need or want all of them, hence they are equally important (in this respect).
It is true that an actor cannot save even one life by pretending to be a doctor.
But he can inspire many to become a doctor. These doctors will in turn save many lives.
Can I claim that thus this actor is many more time important than any doctor?
Not to me. They are serving different and equally important roles.
I didn't mean to cause more argument. I simply stated my viewpoint. I'm sorry if it offended you, I didn't mean to belittle his death, or his career. I believe all jobs are equal because each has a role in our society and without people working "simple" jobs, such as waiting on people, garbage collecting, checkout manager, there would be a significant impact. I just meant to say that in my opinion, this has been blown a little out of proportion, but we can all have our own opinions. I'm sorry if I imposed mine onto you. Paul Walker meant a lot to me, and let us appreciate him for the role he played in our lives.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6