Today I Binged my own name and saw that a ton of results were showing up because my name is listed as being in several people's "circles" who use Google+. I don't use Google+, but I have a gmail address (forced to have one) and some people added me to their circles, apparently. I guess Google+ is not like Facebook in that I have to approve them? Or maybe I did approve them somehow (wouldn't surprise me if Google furtively did this to me), but regardless, I don't want people Binging my name and then having 2 dozen results show up as me being friends with so and so. In Facebook you can easily go to settings to ensure that your name doesn't show up in search engines. How can I do the same on Google+? I tried to poke around their privacy settings but, unsurprisingly, I couldn't find a way to do it. I can't wait till I can stop being forced to use that gmail address and I can just permanently delete my entire Google presence. So sick of their egregious privacy violations.
    12-05-2013 04:27 PM
    Someone is suing LinkedIn for something similar regarding information from other peoples address books. Overall same idea, your info is being used without permission. Sue sue sue.
    WanderingTraveler likes this.
    12-05-2013 04:30 PM
    Someone is suing LinkedIn for something similar regarding information from other peoples address books. Overall same idea, your info is being used without permission. Sue sue sue.
    I hope a class action suit comes against Google as well. In the meantime, though, does anyone know how to poke around in Google+ settings to disable this nonsense?
    12-10-2013 01:23 AM