Who do you personally like and dislike in Tech Reviewing?

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
So who is your favorite tech reviewer? Personally, I like Aaron Baker from PhoneDog and Michael Fisher from PocketNow. They both review devices from a neutral point of view and judge them fairly and not constantly comparing devices that are in different leagues.

Worst I would say is Molly Wood from CNet.com. She reviews devices but compares them to devices that aren't even the same league and always has favoritism to iPhones

Last edited:

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Who is the best and worst tech reviewer?

Jooooohhn v from phonearena.

Fisher is amazing too. Lisa from mobiletechreview, although she tends to do a 20 min comparisons these days.

Worst, any biased reviewer.

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

I'm going with Michael Fischer as well

Sent from my Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

QilleRz

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Michael Fischer is good IMO. John V sometimes receive bad comments but I enjoy his review.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

If you mean someone not from Mobile Nations, I would say Michael Fisher is the best, and Molly Wood (who isn't on CNET anymore).

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

I mean for those tech reviewers that review all types of devices. Not only WP, Droids and iDevices

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Another vote for Michael Fisher. I really like his presentation and the way he explains his thoughts. He also bears some resemblance to Robert Downy Jr

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
The reviewers I like are Aaron Baker, Lisa Gate (mobile tech review), MKBHD and Erica Griffin. For written reviews I like anandtech.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I generally like Paul Thurrott's take on technology, and I also respect Ars Technica's news articles, and by extension, their reviews.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
It's nice to see some positive comments about good reviewers but we're missing the people we really dislike.

For me personally, most of the tech writers at the Guardian are not very good but the one that I really dislike is Charles Arthur. This tool cannot write a bad article about anything to do with Apple and cannot write any article and not compare it to a Apple device. He's deep in the ecosystem and I've seen him show up at Nokia phone releases and never gives a neutral review or says anything that positive. I don't consider this guy a tech writer, he's an iFan through and through and just gushes about anything that Apple does and pretty much disses anything else.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I still hang out on Phone Arena, and John V. is fine. But Ray S. just dislikes WP, and I have never understood him reviewing devices he would prefer to not do.

I like GSMArena a lot, and the entire "GSMArena Team" gets credit for their reviews. So- let's hear it for team work.

I like Lisa G. from Mobile Tech, Jessica Dolcourt from CNET is fine, and pretty much the entire Phone Dog and Pocket Now crew, although you can add me to the list of those who just enjoy Michael Fisher. Look up his reviews of the Samsung ATIV NEO for Sprint. Even if you do not agree with him, the review is just plain amusing in places.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
The reviewers I like are Aaron Baker, Lisa Gate (mobile tech review), MKBHD and Erica Griffin. For written reviews I like anandtech.

Thanks for the Erica Griffin, I just subscribed to her channel. She seems pretty cool.

I like watching Technobuffalo with the John guy. He's pretty cool.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's nice to see some positive comments about good reviewers but we're missing the people we really dislike.

For me personally, most of the tech writers at the Guardian are not very good but the one that I really dislike is Charles Arthur. This tool cannot write a bad article about anything to do with Apple and cannot write any article and not compare it to a Apple device. He's deep in the ecosystem and I've seen him show up at Nokia phone releases and never gives a neutral review or says anything that positive. I don't consider this guy a tech writer, he's an iFan through and through and just gushes about anything that Apple does and pretty much disses anything else.
I don't really think anyone employed by a newspaper is a great tech writer.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'd agree with that. Newspaper authors and solid technology rarely go hand in hand. Its either blindly misinformed or outright apple fanning.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Sad, but it will take a lot of work to find anyone to prove jmshub or Laura wrong. I guess the printed paper hasn't really felt a need to keep up with the tech around them.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the Erica Griffin, I just subscribed to her channel. She seems pretty cool.

I like watching Technobuffalo with the John guy. He's pretty cool.

Erica Griffin is very thorough. The downside of that is many of her review videos are nearly an hour, but she's good. Also she purchases the devices she reviews, don't know if that really matters, but at least she's not pressured to give biased reviews.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb