05-07-2014 10:42 PM
31 12
tools
    So who is your favorite tech reviewer? Personally, I like Aaron Baker from PhoneDog and Michael Fisher from PocketNow. They both review devices from a neutral point of view and judge them fairly and not constantly comparing devices that are in different leagues.

Worst I would say is Molly Wood from CNet.com. She reviews devices but compares them to devices that aren't even the same league and always has favoritism to iPhones
    Last edited by WP8Expert; 12-06-2013 at 11:22 AM.
    12-06-2013 07:36 AM
    Jooooohhn v from phonearena.

Fisher is amazing too. Lisa from mobiletechreview, although she tends to do a 20 min comparisons these days.

Worst, any biased reviewer.
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-06-2013 07:41 AM
    Yup, jooooooooohn v is great at reviewing
    12-06-2013 07:43 AM
    I'm going with Michael Fischer as well

Sent from my Lumia 925 using Tapatalk
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-06-2013 07:44 AM
    Michael Fischer is good IMO. John V sometimes receive bad comments but I enjoy his review.
    12-06-2013 07:46 AM
    If you mean someone not from Mobile Nations, I would say Michael Fisher is the best, and Molly Wood (who isn't on CNET anymore).
    12-06-2013 08:48 AM
    I mean for those tech reviewers that review all types of devices. Not only WP, Droids and iDevices
    12-06-2013 09:31 AM
    Another vote for Michael Fisher. I really like his presentation and the way he explains his thoughts. He also bears some resemblance to Robert Downy Jr
    12-06-2013 01:23 PM
    He also bears some resemblance to Robert Downy Jr
    This!
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-06-2013 01:25 PM
    My favorite is Anand Lal Shimpi from AnandTech love his very detailed articles!
    etad putta likes this.
    12-06-2013 01:29 PM
    The reviewers I like are Aaron Baker, Lisa Gate (mobile tech review), MKBHD and Erica Griffin. For written reviews I like anandtech.
    12-06-2013 05:11 PM
    I generally like Paul Thurrott's take on technology, and I also respect Ars Technica's news articles, and by extension, their reviews.
    Laura Knotek and snowmutt like this.
    12-09-2013 10:26 AM
    It's nice to see some positive comments about good reviewers but we're missing the people we really dislike.

For me personally, most of the tech writers at the Guardian are not very good but the one that I really dislike is Charles Arthur. This tool cannot write a bad article about anything to do with Apple and cannot write any article and not compare it to a Apple device. He's deep in the ecosystem and I've seen him show up at Nokia phone releases and never gives a neutral review or says anything that positive. I don't consider this guy a tech writer, he's an iFan through and through and just gushes about anything that Apple does and pretty much disses anything else.
    12-09-2013 10:54 AM
    I still hang out on Phone Arena, and John V. is fine. But Ray S. just dislikes WP, and I have never understood him reviewing devices he would prefer to not do.

I like GSMArena a lot, and the entire "GSMArena Team" gets credit for their reviews. So- let's hear it for team work.

I like Lisa G. from Mobile Tech, Jessica Dolcourt from CNET is fine, and pretty much the entire Phone Dog and Pocket Now crew, although you can add me to the list of those who just enjoy Michael Fisher. Look up his reviews of the Samsung ATIV NEO for Sprint. Even if you do not agree with him, the review is just plain amusing in places.
    12-10-2013 10:11 PM
    Paul Thurrott, Mary Jo Foley, Ed Bott, Peter Bright are all writers I like.
    jmshub likes this.
    12-10-2013 10:16 PM
    The reviewers I like are Aaron Baker, Lisa Gate (mobile tech review), MKBHD and Erica Griffin. For written reviews I like anandtech.
    Thanks for the Erica Griffin, I just subscribed to her channel. She seems pretty cool.

I like watching Technobuffalo with the John guy. He's pretty cool.
    12-10-2013 10:24 PM
    It's nice to see some positive comments about good reviewers but we're missing the people we really dislike.

For me personally, most of the tech writers at the Guardian are not very good but the one that I really dislike is Charles Arthur. This tool cannot write a bad article about anything to do with Apple and cannot write any article and not compare it to a Apple device. He's deep in the ecosystem and I've seen him show up at Nokia phone releases and never gives a neutral review or says anything that positive. I don't consider this guy a tech writer, he's an iFan through and through and just gushes about anything that Apple does and pretty much disses anything else.
    I don't really think anyone employed by a newspaper is a great tech writer.
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-10-2013 10:28 PM
    I'd agree with that. Newspaper authors and solid technology rarely go hand in hand. Its either blindly misinformed or outright apple fanning.
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-10-2013 10:46 PM
    Sad, but it will take a lot of work to find anyone to prove jmshub or Laura wrong. I guess the printed paper hasn't really felt a need to keep up with the tech around them.
    12-11-2013 08:30 PM
    Thanks for the Erica Griffin, I just subscribed to her channel. She seems pretty cool.

I like watching Technobuffalo with the John guy. He's pretty cool.
    Erica Griffin is very thorough. The downside of that is many of her review videos are nearly an hour, but she's good. Also she purchases the devices she reviews, don't know if that really matters, but at least she's not pressured to give biased reviews.
    12-11-2013 09:21 PM
    I dislike Joshua from the verge and Renee from imore
    12-11-2013 10:12 PM
    Lisa from mobile tech review. Idk if she has kids or not but she seems like the cool mom type that likes technology and not the typical idk how to work this thingamajig. She always gives honest and polite criticisms.

Joooonnnnnn v is hilarious but I always thought he was white until I saw a video and I was like....oh he is not lol.

Renee from imore is my least favorite. I don't like blind favoritism that prevents you from giving respect to competitor devices without needing to act as if your device you use is the best of the best. He comes off as arrogant to me sometimes.

Also most on the verge sicken me with their obvious anti Microsoft stance and how they always have an indirect insult for Microsoft in their articles.
    12-11-2013 10:44 PM
    haha just want to add to this, you people have forgotten the most Epic name ever to be mocked by microsoft users/ praised by apple users on twitter for his reviews of the surface and stuff

David Pogue from NYTimes
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-12-2013 12:27 AM
    Oh how could I forget Lisa Gade. Really like how in depth she goes on pretty much every aspect. Really good presentation as well. She interacts with her viewer base quite a bit in the comments from what I've seen. Much respect to her.
    12-12-2013 07:57 AM
    I have always admired Lisa Gate's reviews, they are unbiased and honest - something I try to strive towards when I review. Lisa shall always be inspiration.

Those who review technology are passionate lovers of their field, and it is a balance to remove your own feelings while reviewing and commenting on what you believe is in the interest of the mainstream audience.

Growing up, I was a big fan of Engadget and The Verge, but as time has moved forward - I find their reviews less and less favorable.
    Laura Knotek, gedzum and BIGPADDY like this.
    12-14-2013 03:13 AM
31 12