Does anyone know any tips for printing labels?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I bought a pack of Avery labels, template 5162. Using Word to add the addresses was easy. However, I cannot get the margins to line up correctly on my printers (I have both an Epson inkjet and a Brother laser printer). The labels are suitable for either inkjet or laser printers.

Does anyone print labels? Is there some trick I'm missing?

What is the best way to adjust the margins to get the text centered in each label so nothing gets cut off, or part of one address doesn't end up in the wrong label?

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
If memory serves me right, avery label/card layout templates are available in word. Did you use those? I've made biz cards and sticker labels with those templates using different printers. The label packaging should have information and directions about using those templates.

EDIT: D'oh... i did not see you mentioned template 5162. Maybe you could edit text wrapping in each label (table) cell?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If memory serves me right, avery label/card layout templates are available in word. Did you use those? I've made biz cards and sticker labels with those templates using different printers. The label packaging should have information and directions on those templates.
I did download and install the Avery Wizard. The problem is that I cannot seem to find anything for adjusting the margins in the Avery Wizard; it looks like I'd have to manually set the margins in Word (custom margins). I'm not really an expert on formatting complex documents in Word and using anything other than the default margins that would be used for letters or reports. I'm running Office 2013 if that matters. Avery's website said Office 2013 and Windows 8 are supported.

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
That's odd, the Avery wizard/templates should produce a layout where the margins match that of the labels you are using. Sure the pages are centered or at the right orientation when fed in the printer?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That's odd, the Avery wizard/templates should produce a layout where the margins match that of the labels you are using. Sure the pages are centered or at the right orientation when fed in the printer?
They're definitely centered. The problem is the top margin is 1", which chops off/throws text off-center, since the first label doesn't line up properly when Word uses a 1" margin. Everything is centered great if I were just printing a plain sheet of paper. I need to decrease the top margin, but to what size I don't know.

I also tried Avery's online print option. It mentions need to adjust here.

The problem is I don't know which margin to select.

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
My first try with an avery template, fold-&-snap biz cards, was botched because I loaded the sheet upside down.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My first try with an avery template, fold-&-snap biz cards, was botched because I loaded the sheet upside down.

I didn't do that. I looked for the arrow that said which direction to feed the sheet, and I fed it in the correct direction.

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
They're definitely centered. The problem is the top margin is 1", which chops off/throws text off-center, since the first label doesn't line up properly when Word uses a 1" margin. Everything is centered great if I were just printing a plain sheet of paper. I need to decrease the top margin, but to what size I don't know.

Hmmm...I guess you'd have no choice but to measure with a ruler.

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
That's too much trouble though... Since you've immediate access to a printer, maybe there's a printable ruler you can download?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Update a year later!

I've since had my PC replaced under warranty coverage. I completely forgot about Avery labels until it was time for me to send Christmas cards this year.

This time I installed the Avery software, printed the labels on a plain sheet of paper to test the settings. Everything lined up with the labels perfectly, so I inserted the label sheets and printed them out without a hitch.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Printing labels can be a pain. I usually print them on plain paper the first time through, and then hold the paper over the label like you did. It's usually transparent enough to see if the margins and size are correct.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Printing labels can be a pain. I usually print them on plain paper the first time through, and then hold the paper over the label like you did. It's usually transparent enough to see if the margins and size are correct.
That's what I did last year, but it didn't work. My guess is Avery probably updated the software for Windows 8/8.1 since then.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
The wife is pretty good with the labels using word.

I have no luck due to impatience with stuff like this.
Guess I'm a pen and ink type even though labels would be faster.

I recently bought a fountain pen for writing based on a mention from Laura.
Have to say I really like writing with a refillable fountain type pen.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The wife is pretty good with the labels using word.

I have no luck due to impatience with stuff like this.
Guess I'm a pen and ink type even though labels would be faster.

I recently bought a fountain pen for writing based on a mention from Laura.
Have to say I really like writing with a refillable fountain type pen.

I did use a fountain pen to sign the actual cards.

I did not use Word mail merge but just used the Avery software. I also saved my label design so I'll be able to use it next year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes