Really hating this new age...

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I have been cutting back. We used to sit down at a table in a restaurant, pull out our phones, check in on foursquare, and surf. One day a lady from church commented about how we eat out every day (which was a HUGE exaggeration), and we stopped checking in at restaurants. Now we actually make it through whole meals without pulling out our phones! Imagine that!

Wow, that's tough! :p

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Here's another one... Just called one of our clients and left a voice mail. I remember the days when you knew that the beep meant to leave the message - you didn't need a computer-generated voice to tell you that you could leave your message after the beep.

Back in the late 80s, for a while, my answering machine outgoing message was, "You know who you called. You know what this is. You know what to do. You know when to do it."

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I actually think that it was kind if easier to find info on people 15 years ago.

Although companies collect more personal info from people now, they also know how valuable it is and they try to keep it secure. Even places that dont care about your privacy wont give out your info for free. They want to get paid.

Back in the day, I could find contact information on most people by just researching public records and doing reverse lookups.

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I told them that while they have the right to post anything on their walls, some thing should be left offline. And once something gets posted, you cannot take it back - even if you delete the post later..

I once had to fire a pizza delivery driver because she had something stolen from her house and then went on a racist rant on fb using the N word and how she liked Mexicans more than black people, making references to apes and such. She had her place of business listed on her profile and her shift supervisor was a black man who printed out and took offense to what she said. It was a silly mistake which was made in the heat of the moment but when people vent their frustrations in public like that bad things can happen.
(She really was sorry for what she did and never intended to offend the person she did, but at that point you have misrepresented the company you work for and that cannot happen)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I once had to fire a pizza delivery driver because she had something stolen from her house and then went on a racist rant on fb using the N word and how she liked Mexicans more than black people, making references to apes and such. She had her place of business listed on her profile and her shift supervisor was a black man who printed out and took offense to what she said. It was a silly mistake which was made in the heat of the moment but when people vent their frustrations in public like that bad things can happen.
(She really was sorry for what she did and never intended to offend the person she did, but at that point you have misrepresented the company you work for and that cannot happen)

Wow.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

That's not surprising. The truth is she, like many other people who are decent otherwise had a moment of unintended ignorance based on stereotypes she knows of other ethnic groups. Yes, it was fueled by emotions from the situation itself, but to air such a tremendous tirade online was inexcusable.

I can give you many stories like that, sadly. And it is stories like Anthony Weiner and this woman are proof as to why transgressions should not be put out there on social media. The right of freedom of speech must always be tempered with the presence of common sense. There is just no place for actions like that, in either case.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Minor diversion:

Your shiny new smartphone is cool, no doubt. It has a ton of apps and can do just about anything ? anything, but bend, that is.
Dubbed ?Youm? by developer Samsung, the prototype technology that?s on the cusp of mass-market-mobile takeover uses organic light emitting diode displays (OLED), and is totally flexible, with some engineers claiming it?s nearly unbreakable.
Just something to look forward to next time you find yourself crying over spilled smartphone pieces all over the floor.

flexphone.jpg
(Credit to the Huffington Post)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That's not surprising. The truth is she, like many other people who are decent otherwise had a moment of unintended ignorance based on stereotypes she knows of other ethnic groups. Yes, it was fueled by emotions from the situation itself, but to air such a tremendous tirade online was inexcusable.

I can give you many stories like that, sadly. And it is stories like Anthony Weiner and this woman are proof as to why transgressions should not be put out there on social media. The right of freedom of speech must always be tempered with the presence of common sense. There is just no place for actions like that, in either case.

In the case of politicians, it's probably better that the public does learn of those transgressions. Most people would not want a politician who does not support their own personal values to be their representative.

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
In the case of politicians, it's probably better that the public does learn of those transgressions. Most people would not want a politician who does not support their own personal values to be their representative.

I agree with this. But there are so many of them that do this kind of thing. Then you have people like Mayor Ford from Toronto who openly admits to using cocaine.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I agree with this. But there are so many of them that do this kind of thing. Then you have people like Mayor Ford from Toronto who openly admits to using cocaine.

That's true. The politicians do tend to be immune from repercussions in many cases. The average person would be sent for a drug test and terminated from employment immediately if positive results were obtained, if he/she bragged about use of illegal drugs on social media.

MameTozhio

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I have privacy settings set to as high as i can without ruining the experience on a lot of things i.e Facebook. As a fourteen year old, it surprises me how many people have no clue how to use Facebook's privacy settings.

Sent from my RM-915_nam_canada_217 using Tapatalk

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't really care about my privacy.

I just miss the days when life was simple, where I didn't need constant entertainment and could just sit outside a garden tea room and just watch the leaves swaying in the wind as the clouds pass by and be 100% happy and content with that, even at night I could just sit and enjoy the street lights reflection on my pictures on the wall and how the shadows would change shapes as the trees moved outside with the sound of crickets outside and the subtle ticking from the clock in the room...oh how I miss what was life

But technology is a Trojan horse. I thought it was good and convenient but it took my simple life away where I could enjoy the simplest things, now I can't live without constant entertainment. Going on vacation will never be the same. I now must always be using internet or I get bored. With full sight I should have never left my Nokia 3310, I should never have tasted the internet ...I miss the days when a phone was just a practical means to a telephone and nothing more.

Technology changed me, I wish it hadn't. Now im apathetic towards life. A zombie with a screen in my face.

Then sometimes I get bored and tired of using my phone so I try to sleep off my boredom.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss