Preferred Virus Protection for your PC?

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone,

Who is the best for the money in terms of virus protection for your PC. We currently use Norton 360 and really haven't had much in the way of problems. However since my subscription is running out, I thought it might be a good idea to see what else is out there. I would prefer to get something which provides comprable or better coverage for the price, and that provides access to more than one PC without additional cost. I have used McAfee in the past and was really not pleased with it for a number of reasons.

Thoughts?

Ideas and alternatives are appreciated.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I use Windows Defender (built-into Windows 8) right now, it does the job well. Mainly because it works, is spartan, and i generally dont live dangerously with my computer..

Avast! Antivirus has served me quite well since my Windows 2000/XP days and has some advanced bells and whistles. I would recommend that if Microsoft Security Essentials/Defender won't cut it.

My sister uses AVG, she doesnt have any problems.

All of those are free or have capable free offerings.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been a big user of Kaspersky for the past 6 or more years, and last year I had to uninstall it because it conflicted with the Windows Phone emulator, somehow. Since then, two of my computers are running just the Windows Defender that comes with Windows 8, and I've had no problems at all.

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
On W8.1, I use Windows Defender for active protection and perform manual scans on files with MalwareBytes (free version).

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I personally use Windows Defender. I used to use AVG but it started to get too much bloat to it. Unless you have teenagers going on to sites or downloading from places they shouldn't then you should have little in the way of issues. Defender will be good enough and it's free. It sits in the background and does it's thing.

It's doe the job well enough for 90% of people I would say.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh, and Internet Explorer. I don't much like the idea of my browser being coded by the unwashed masses.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Oh, and Internet Explorer. I don't much like the idea of my browser being coded by the unwashed masses.
LOL!
For years I wouldn't use anything other than Firefox - from the time it came out. Hated IE. But I think it was about the time IE8 or 9 came out that I started shifting back to IE. Now the only time I use Firefox is when a site won't load correctly in IE11, and with the sites I visit, that's not often. Maybe once every couple weeks.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Webroot secure anywhere I have been using since it came out. Family and friends use it has well since I got a great deal during black Friday 3 users for $4.99, bought 2 total of 6 PC are protected (4 win7, 2 XP install). Very light on resources, cloud based. I can manage all the licenses and configs from one pc even get notified when one of them is infected or if it has found something. Makes being a tech so much easer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium