Just finished my car mount!

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Been working on this for a while now, finally [near] finished, I just have to secure the wireless charging plate a little better.

I noticed that the ash tray in my car was both the same exact size as my 820, and also could be removed without damaging the car. I wasn't going to spend $100 or whatever the ridiculous price was for the car charger, so I took one of my $25 charging plates, hooked it up to a voltage regulator and spliced it in the cigarette lighter wiring. Then I took some scrap metal (from an old PC PSU actually) and started cutting out a mount with my terrible, terrible dremel skills, to securely suspend the phone in the cigarette lighter area. My main goal was to not permanently alter the car itself in any way, so I didn't drill or cut into the plastic at all; the metal plate fits into existing crevices that had held the ash tray in place.

Here's the finished product!

DcjIqO8.jpg

ByzeQuf.jpg

6rTdm85.jpg

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
That cable is actually unrelated- it goes to my dashcamera (though I do plan to hide it eventually).

The cables stuffed in my cassette player are power, USB, and audio cables for the HTC Shift (with x86 Windows 8.1) I'm planning on mounting over the radio. As a bit of an audiophile I wanted a PC for flac playback, and designing a touch friendly, driver safe interface for foobar2000 was a fun project, and also I have some OBDII reading software so I can have the shift always collecting statistics. My next project is to build the mount for that, after I solder in the 3.5mm cable to the existing radio.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720