has ios and android reached a stall ?

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
since ics (android 4.0) came out, I've seen only minor improvements (mostly just new features) but overall its not really changing much (the general user experience hasn't changed really since ginger bread, there are no new "wow" features which could explain samsungs interest with Tizen...as for ios... with the release of ios 7...I cant see it developing much further, Apple hasn't been known for dramatically changing their os and I think ios 7 will be a once off.

take BBos for example, I believe that BBos 7 reached its potential and could not be improved further, which is why I suspect that bb went straight into BBos 10 (its a major change and in many ways an improvement, it will be interesting to see how much further it will go before innovation slowly depletes away and becomes non existent) BBs app world is pathetic so they added to ability to side load Android apps, another improvement and way the os changed.

also look at Windows phone 7 compared to Windows phone 8...Windows phone 8 added so much more PRACTICAL EVERYDAY USE functionality especially with the release of Nokia black or bitter sweet shimmer GDR3, such as tap to wake and the extra sizes of live tiles, it can however still use major improvement in the app sector.

at the end of the day its about how the user experience changes.

I will end this off buy saying, innovation and improvement is all about change, without change, improvement would be impossible.

Jack Larson1

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Not sure about android, but they'll remain popular with mods I guess. IOS probably has a few years at least, mainly due to the design quality of the iPhone.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
First off, this may be more at home in the "OS Wars" section, just for future reference.

But, I guess it depends on your definition of "stall".

I have felt since the release of the iPhone 4 and iPad 2, iOS has indeed peaked. Understanding "peaked" doesn't mean "declining" they way some people believe. But I do think the casual user is either already invested in iOS ecosystem or has moved on. Apple still dominates the mainstream media tech section. The Wall Street Journal, the three main 24-hour news channels, USA Today, whatever. They are all abuzz about the iPhone's pending bigger screens, as if cell phones haven't had 4+" screens for three years or more already. But, Apple is about to do it, so it is news. Throw in development is still iOS first, and Apple is assured of maintaining it's user base for the next couple cycles. But there is very little they are doing to advance tech anymore. As a result, I see Apple losing a few % points in sales, but remaining extremely profitable and in second place.

Android is a whole different ballgame. It is continuing to grow. As feature phones become a thing of the past, Android is still the OS more of those users pick to adopt. The top end gear is always first on Android devices. They lead the way in new tech and functions. As Google becomes better at using multi-core processors in their devices, the performance on their OS continues to improve. Throw in the huge growth of Android tablets, and there is no way you can objectively say Android is stalled.

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I think Android still has a long way to go. To give Android a good name, they should release the Kit-Kat they where babbling about better support for the 512MB Ram devices. In terms of new features, they won't stop but improvements need to be done.

While for iOS, there is nothing ground breaking or anything but the quality is there.

Windows Phone on the other hand is opposite of what Android is heading to. Quality and Patience I guess... Lol

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss