King Trademarks "Candy" - Devs fight back!

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I can understand if a company couldn't call their product "Candy Crunch" or "The Saga of Candy Crush", but copyrighting "candy" and "saga" is ludicrous. I hope their office building burns down (disclaimed: with nobody in it). They deserve bad things and only bad things.

Kind of reminds me of how Michael Jackson or Paul Mcartney owns the birthday song.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, this is just another example of our IP rights laws (or how they're administered) have run amok. You shouldn't be able to trademark words like candy or saga, any more than you should be able to trademark words like sky or metro. It's ridiculous. Sure, trademark the entire name of your app, but a while back a court found that "app store" wasn't legitimately protected by trademark, why should these other things be?

Ok upon further research, the court didn't make the finding. Apple gave up its fight. But do you really think Apple would have given up if they didn't know they were going to lose?Apple gives up on failing App Store v. Appstore trademark lawsuit | Ars Technica

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
The trade mark system, and intellectual property in general, needs to be overhauled for the 21st century.

This is all getting out of hand.

I understand why they had to do it but it should only apply where reasonable confusion may occur. Stoic and their Banner Saga will not find their ip confused with that bs rip off of older games colourful garbage.

I hope this is resolved and soon.

Rant over ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss