• How can these videos be improved?
  • Do you prefer lengthy or short ones?
If no,
  • Why not?

Thanks..

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
No. I like technology and shiny new gadgets. But unboxing videos just don't appeal to me. The unboxing and initial setup of modern electronics is actually not a very good experience. Pulling the device out of the box and unwrapping the ton of shrink wrapped plastic stuck to it, assembling the device, and then the device needs to be turned on, you need to sign in with your account number (or create one if you don't have one yet), and then the device sets itself up and downloads updates, etc. This isn't fun for me when it's MY new toy, so I just wouldn't enjoy it on a video.

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
My 8yr old likes watching Moshi Monster collectable figures being unwrapped on Youtube. The suspense of what will it be, will there be a rare figure etc :s It's beyond me, plus I'm phobic about polystyrene, so unwrapping electricals is the stuff of nightmares.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes, mainly when I'm considering a product and I'd like a decent in depth look at it's contents and generally for an overview of the product (build/packaging quality, warranty etc). Watch them mainly to supplement any research I've done or if there is a related product that may have additional content and I may find better value.

I might also watch unboxing if they show up in my sub box and I have nothing else to watch ;)

nemecek_f

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
In general no. I am not really interested in seeing device from all angles and knowing that it comes inside a box with charger and cable :)

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
With gedzum. I watch unboxing videos on devices i am actually interested in owning, mostly to see someone fumbling with it for the first time and just seeing how it looks in someone's hands before their reviews when it is sterile and rehearsed.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
No. I like technology and shiny new gadgets. But unboxing videos just don't appeal to me. The unboxing and initial setup of modern electronics is actually not a very good experience. Pulling the device out of the box and unwrapping the ton of shrink wrapped plastic stuck to it, assembling the device, and then the device needs to be turned on, you need to sign in with your account number (or create one if you don't have one yet), and then the device sets itself up and downloads updates, etc. This isn't fun for me when it's MY new toy, so I just wouldn't enjoy it on a video.
Same reason I don't watch them.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
My 8yr old likes watching Moshi Monster collectable figures being unwrapped on Youtube. The suspense of what will it be, will there be a rare figure etc :s It's beyond me, plus I'm phobic about polystyrene, so unwrapping electricals is the stuff of nightmares.

As someone who works in the plastics industry... What?

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
What's the what for? That I'm phobic about polystyrene? It's not that unusual, the foamyness and squeakyness of it and all those little bits that shed off and get all static. Urgh.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
For me, it really depends on 3 factors:

1) Am I in the mood for it?
2) Am I interested in the thing that's going to be unboxed?
3) Unboxer has an enjoyable voice (no speed-talking, more words than 'uhm's)​

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
What's the what for? That I'm phobic about polystyrene? It's not that unusual, the foamyness and squeakyness of it and all those little bits that shed off and get all static. Urgh.

Is that the hard white packing material? If so, then yeah I also don't like that sqeakyness. It's like the nails on the chalkboard for me. Luckily I only dealt with it on PC cases. Most times, items I get now are packed with that soft cell foam. I think even PC cases are starting to ship with those now.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99