Okay, Californians, do you want to be seperated into 6 states?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Here is quite a gem of an idea, depending on who you are:

Venture capitalist in bid to split California into six states: Thomson Reuters Business News - MSN Money

According to the articles, the petition needs 800,00 signatures to get on the ballet. The idea is that Cali has become "ungovernable" in it's present State make up, and that 6 smaller states could still have an economical alliance but not the gridlock sparked by such a diverse state.
The six states would be:

• South California: San Diego and Orange counties
  • West California: includes Los Angeles and Santa Barbara
  • Central California: includes Bakersfield, Fresno and Stockton
  • Silicon Valley: includes San Francisco and San Jose
  • North California: Sacramento area
  • Jefferson: Redding and Eureka areas

As an downstate Illinois resident, I can tell you that in our last Governor race, one of the candidates won 98 of the 102 counties... and lost the race. We are often hearing about how a state of Chicago is needed, as it is impossible for Chicago and the urban dwellers to have a clue how we live down state, and honestly it is vice-versa. We can't wrap our brains around the life styles and problems they have. Any policy is always going to help one and hurt the other.

Curious as to how our California crowd thinks about this. I do not think it has any chance of passing the US Congress- new Senators, new state lines to draw, so on- even if it passes the State Election. But, I could sure see the point and logic.

Thoughts??

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
The central and southern California borders as represented there make little to no sense. Divide the LA metro area with a state boundary? Force Central CA to drive through another state to get to the eastern sierra? Land lock central ca from the like minded slo/pismo/paso Robles area?

I think ca does need to be split, but those boundaries do not seem well thought out.

Though if it did pass and get by congress we would only be 2 states short of the 57 Obama thinks we have.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
The central and southern California borders as represented there make little to no sense. Divide the LA metro area with a state boundary? Force Central CA to drive through another state to get to the eastern sierra? Land lock central ca from the like minded slo/pismo/paso Robles area?

I think ca does need to be split, but those boundaries do not seem well thought out.

Though if it did pass and get by congress we would only be 2 states short of the 57 Obama thinks we have.

A) Kinda funny that last bit!! A very amusing slip of the tongue by our dear President.

B) Curious, how would draw them? And into how many parts?

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
This is just statewide gerrymandering. Nothing more. Why not propose this in Texas, it's larger than Cali with just as much political bipolarism? Probably because Austin and San Antonio would turn Dem and there would never be another GOP president ever again. If we split up states according to liberal/conservative demographics we are basically setting ourselves up for civil war. We have to deal with each other not put up fences.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
This is just statewide gerrymandering. Nothing more. Why not propose this in Texas, it's larger than Cali with just as much political bipolarism? Probably because Austin and San Antonio would turn Dem and there would never be another GOP president ever again. If we split up states according to liberal/conservative demographics we are basically setting ourselves up for civil war. We have to deal with each other not put up fences.

That was... heavy.

We might be able to close this thread now.......

vw1610

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I live in the south bay and I think I would vote for the split. Ca sucks. The fees, the taxes, the rules and regulations. I blame the retard democrats who have ruled this land for the last 30+ years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fopaky