I Am Hungry! - Post Your Eats!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
So I thought I would post my 40th birthday dinner photos. It's a couple of years back. It was at Bussia in Amsterdam. A restaurant seriously lacking a Michelin star. I hope it gets one soon.

This is a collection of starters, mains and desert. Not all dishes we had are present and I can't describe them all as I don't remember.

Aviary_Photo_130415150334849679[1].jpg

Aviary_Photo_130415149892697265[1].jpg

Aviary_Photo_130415150130533279[1].jpg

Aviary_Photo_130415150494675458[1].jpg

Desert - Mango four ways. (it's the only thing I remember)

Aviary_Photo_130415150022855600[1].jpg

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Talking about standards and being awarded a Michelin star. I've eaten in a few Michelin star restaurants and you can clearly see the high standards that they have, but as you mention, a few like Bussia in Amsterdam get overlooked.

I don't have the best palate, but nothing ticks me off more than when a restaurant says something is fresh and it's not. It's really apparent in seafood and when you ask, "Are you sure this is fresh?" they come back with some crazy statement like, "It's fresh frozen". That's not fresh. There is such a big difference in taste between fresh and frozen seafood. Just cook a fresh trout and a frozen trout side by side. There's a big difference in taste between the two. Even the texture with the fresh trout is so much lighter and fluffier than a frozen trout.

We have a lot of small taverns by our house and 98% of them have the normal tavern food. Frozen pizza or frozen pizza puffs that they heat up behind the bar. Most of the food pictures I've posted are from a tavern that my wife and I go to a lot to eat, and whoever the chef is, he/she has high standards. Not what what you would normally expect from a tavern.

The loaded nachos I posted yesterday are not your normal loaded nachos. Most places that you order loaded nachos from toss some beans and canned jalapeno peppers on some tortilla chips and then pour melted Velveeta cheese on the top. Those load nachos that I got yesterday were carefully layered from the bottom to the top. It's hard to see from the picture, but once you started eating it, you saw all the layering. Tortilla chips, then hot beans and beef, then real shredded cheese, then fresh (not canned) jalapeno peppers and black olives and then lettuce. That's the way it was carefully layered all the way up. You wouldn't normally expect that from loaded nachos. I actually couldn't eat it all. :cool:

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Talking about standards and being awarded a Michelin star. I've eaten in a few Michelin star restaurants and you can clearly see the high standards that they have, but as you mention, a few like Bussia in Amsterdam get overlooked.

I don't have the best palate, but nothing ticks me off more than when a restaurant says something is fresh and it's not. It's really apparent in seafood and when you ask, "Are you sure this is fresh?" they come back with some crazy statement like, "It's fresh frozen". That's not fresh. There is such a big difference in taste between fresh and frozen seafood. Just cook a fresh trout and a frozen trout side by side. There's a big difference in taste between the two. Even the texture with the fresh trout is so much lighter and fluffier than a frozen trout.

We have a lot of small taverns by our house and 98% of them have the normal tavern food. Frozen pizza or frozen pizza puffs that they heat up behind the bar. Most of the food pictures I've posted are from a tavern that my wife and I go to a lot to eat, and whoever the chef is, he/she has high standards. Not what what you would normally expect from a tavern.

The loaded nachos I posted yesterday are not your normal loaded nachos. Most places that you order loaded nachos from toss some beans and canned jalapeno peppers on some tortilla chips and then pour melted Velveeta cheese on the top. Those load nachos that I got yesterday were carefully layered from the bottom to the top. It's hard to see from the picture, but once you started eating it, you saw all the layering. Tortilla chips, then hot beans and beef, then real shredded cheese, then fresh (not canned) jalapeno peppers and black olives and then lettuce. That's the way it was carefully layered all the way up. You wouldn't normally expect that from loaded nachos. I actually couldn't eat it all. :cool:

Here in the UK pubs had to change or otherwise perish. A lot of pubs have closed here in the last few years.

What's happened now is that for a pub to survive is has to have good food. We've entered the world of 'Gastro Pub' here. There's even a pub that has a Michelin star.

Any pub not severing good food these days will simply not last. There are places that people still go to that just want a drink after work and hang out.

That also goes for restaurants too. The competition has become quite vicious. Those not making the grade will eventually close.

I don't go to many pubs or to too many Michelin star restaurants. I eat a lot at home and when I'm out I'm happy to get something good but simple and low priced. :p The street food here is pretty good in London. Even when in France my wife and I try to eat simple. I nice baguette is great for lunch. We do our best to go to the 'locals' restaurants and avoid the tourist traps.

In August we're doing our first major road trip through France to Switzerland. I'm looking forward to the food and the scenery. :)

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I wish those standards would come to the taverns around me :smile: Jeez, we have like 20-25 taverns within 5 miles of my house and only two have good food, the rest just have peanuts, canned sardines and/or frozen pizza or pizza puffs. The taverns by me are definitely for drinking, rather than eating.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Yeah! I live in Texas. Though the best broiled peanuts I had was in a bar in Tampa, Florida. Regular peanuts are boring. Boo. Haha.

I should eat something horrible for me right now. At 2PM, my braces get tightened.

•Sent from space using Tapatalk.•

Tampa was also where I first had them.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
So I thought I would post my 40th birthday dinner photos. It's a couple of years back. It was at Bussia in Amsterdam. A restaurant seriously lacking a Michelin star. I hope it gets one soon.

This is a collection of starters, mains and desert. Not all dishes we had are present and I can't describe them all as I don't remember.

View attachment 61802

View attachment 61803

View attachment 61804

View attachment 61805

Desert - Mango four ways. (it's the only thing I remember)

View attachment 61806

Well by golly!

Happy happy birthday kiddo!

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Did you live there or just visit?

Ever go drink and eat down in Ybor City?

•Sent from space using Tapatalk.•

Just a visit to see Micky & Minnie. I stopped by one of those drive through liquor stores and bought some beer and the peanuts. Never went to Ybor City

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Just a visit to see Micky & Minnie. I stopped by one of those through liquor stores and bought some beer and the peanuts. Never went to Ybor City

I've had those peanuts I believe. I've visited Micky and Minnie a couple of times myself. I think I may have had those peanuts somewhere else though. I don't recall liking them much.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Yes it's boiled, not broiled. You can find them at Walmart here in Dallas. Though I prefer to boil my own and kick up the heat with some peppers and hot sauce in the boil. What do taverns in Chicago know about nachos? Stick to hot dogs, Italian beef and pizzas! :wink:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes it's boiled, not broiled. You can find them at Walmart here in Dallas. Though I prefer to boil my own and kick up the heat with some peppers and hot sauce in the boil. What do taverns in Chicago know about nachos? Stick to hot dogs, Italian beef and pizzas! :wink:

I've had some great nachos in Canada.... ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karyrney