I Am Hungry! - Post Your Eats!

Captains

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Chicken thigh fillets, filled with prosciutto, Camembert cheese & chives. Then wrapped in puff pastry. Served with ratatouille.
Was a big hit. :smile:

WP_20140526_001[1].jpg

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
WP_20140526_002.jpg
Fosters large
WP_20140526_004.jpg
Chicken artichoke Parmesan flat bread (Ooo baby very good)
WP_20140526_006.jpg
Outback Caesar salad (very peppery and tasty)
WP_20140526_008.jpg
Grilled halibut with mango salsa and me pomme frites!

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Memorial Day Mania - Chicken on the grill.

Charcoal grilling is the best!
A recent show on Dr. Oz was going on about how charcoal was not a healthy way to cook.

I call bullstuff there.
Why do these shows want to tread on tradition?

Personally I love the char\smoke aroma and flavor.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
A recent show on Dr. Oz was going on about how charcoal was not a healthy way to cook.

I call bullstuff there.

Just a note.

It's all about moderation, as usual. There's nothing wrong with having it from time to time but having it all the time is not healthy. It's the burnt bits that are bad for you, not necessarily the food itself.

Most charcoal is not produced very well and contains all kinds of byproducts in it that are carcinogens. Also the smoke from charcoal is not good for the environment either. There are 'greener' varieties though which are both better for you and the environment because they're better products.

However, it's been shown that marinated meat actually reduces carcinogens. So there is ways to have your cake and eating it to... just try not to eat it too often. :p

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Weekend cooking.

First up, what is commonly known as Turkish Bread in Australia which is actually just a fluffy version of Turkish Pide.

InstagramCapture_88b38ae8-96ba-4c55-9f58-c27ba739d27c[1].jpg

Next, a Spicy pumpkin, carrot and coriander (cilantro) soup. Accompanied by a slice of seeded spelt loaf.

InstagramCapture_56a63d1f-345f-424c-aaed-e64f3181296d[1].jpg

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

I call bullstuff there.

I've read articles that have said the same thing. I think N_LaRUE hit it on the head when he mentioned moderation. One thing that definitely makes moderation easy in my setting is the price of charcoal is getting ridiculous. I've tried a few generic brands over the last few years, but the generic brands I've tried are terrible. You light it, wait 20 minutes until it's covered in gray ash and then it goes out. So I always end up going back to Kingsford or Royal Oak charcoal.

I saw an article the other day where a nutrition group was blasting a minor league baseball team for having a strip of bacon on their uniform, which they thought would encourage kids to eat bacon. The group claimed it would be safer to encourage kids to smoke cigarettes rather than eat bacon.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I saw an article the other day where a nutrition group was blasting a minor league baseball team for having a strip of bacon on their uniform, which they thought would encourage kids to eat bacon. The group claimed it would safer to encourage kids to smoke cigarettes rather than eat bacon.

I just found this thread, the last sentence almost made me spit my tea in laughter. Having tea and bread for lunch. Not at the gym today, gotta take my gran to her check up.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I saw an article the other day where a nutrition group was blasting a minor league baseball team for having a strip of bacon on their uniform, which they thought would encourage kids to eat bacon. The group claimed it would safer to encourage kids to smoke cigarettes rather than eat bacon.

I like bacon but I also know it's not exactly healthy for you. Smoking is something I never got into (thankfully) but whether it's better than bacon is a bit silly. Neither bacon or cigarettes are necessary to live and we can all talk about how bad the farming methods have become to satisfy our insatiable appetite for meat (something I wish the Food Network would stop pushing btw) but I don't think that compares with the diseases one gets from smoking or the costs related to it. At least you can eat bacon in moderation. Most smokers only get worse over time, not better and quitting is very difficult. I can usually go months without bacon and I don't suffer withdrawal symptoms, well, in any real sense that is. :p

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I like bacon but I also know it's not exactly healthy for you. Smoking is something I never got into (thankfully) but whether it's better than bacon is a bit silly. Neither bacon or cigarettes are necessary to live and we can all talk about how bad the farming methods have become to satisfy our insatiable appetite for meat (something I wish the Food Network would stop pushing btw) but I don't think that compares with the diseases one gets from smoking or the costs related to it. At least you can eat bacon in moderation. Most smokers only get worse over time, not better and quitting is very difficult. I can usually go months without bacon and I don't suffer withdrawal symptoms, well, in any real sense that is. :p

I eat regular bacon, like maybe once a year. My wife eats regular bacon maybe once or twice a month, but only if she happens to order a Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato sandwich. My wife started buying turkey and/or vegetarian (soybean) bacon years ago, which is what I am use to now.

This isn't the original article I read about baseball and bacon, but it talks about the group that is trying to stop bacon: 'Ban the bacon' billboard targeting Lehigh Valley IronPigs bound to backfire | lehighvalleylive.com

Attachments

• iron-pigs-bacon.jpg
    iron-pigs-bacon.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 3
  • bacon-billboard.jpg
    bacon-billboard.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 24

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I eat regular bacon, like maybe once a year. My wife eats regular bacon maybe once or twice a month, but only if she happens to order a Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato sandwich. My wife started buying turkey and/or vegetarian (soybean) bacon years ago, which is what I am use to now.

This isn't the original article I read about baseball and bacon, but it talks about the group that is trying to stop bacon: 'Ban the bacon' billboard targeting Lehigh Valley IronPigs bound to backfire | lehighvalleylive.com

I get their position considering they're an advocate for healthy eating and vegetarianism. I do think there is an over the top desire for everything meat in the US and lots of people don't eat enough vegetables. There's enough science to prove that eating too much meat all the time is not good for you and considering the epidemic levels of obesity in the US it's pretty obvious there's a problem with the message that's out there.

Saying that, having the occasional bacon is ok. Whether sports should be promoted by foods like that is always debatable. I guess one gets financial support where one can.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I get their position considering they're an advocate for healthy eating and vegetarianism. I do think there is an over the top desire for everything meat in the US and lots of people don't eat enough vegetables. There's enough science to prove that eating too much meat all the time is not good for you and considering the epidemic levels of obesity in the US it's pretty obvious there's a problem with the message that's out there.

Saying that, having the occasional bacon is ok. Whether sports should be promoted by foods like that is always debatable. I guess one gets financial support where one can.

You are what you eat. Some people get it and some people don't. It has actually turned into a heated political debate in the states, which I really don't want to get into here, but here's a snip of what is happening today, "Washington — First lady Michelle Obama is answering Republicans in Congress who want to roll back healthier school meal standards, holding an event at the White House to highlight the success of the health guidelines.". Like I said, i really don't want to get into a political debate in this thread.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You are what you eat. Some people get it and some people don't. It has actually turned into a heated political debate in the states, which I really don't want to get into here, but here's a snip of what is happening today, "Washington — First lady Michelle Obama is answering Republicans in Congress who want to roll back healthier school meal standards, holding an event at the White House to highlight the success of the health guidelines.". Like I said, i really don't want to get into a political debate in this thread.

Oh totally. I wasn't trying to go down that road! There's much to be said about politics in the US... not much of it good. I was just pointing out that the group did have a point but maybe going about it the wrong way.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I almost forgot due to the holiday in the states, but today is Taco Tuesday at our local tavern.

Attachments

• tacotuesdaysimpsons.jpg
    tacotuesdaysimpsons.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 71

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo