02-20-2015 05:29 PM
295 ... 89101112
tools
    Hubble's High-Definition Zoomable Panoramic View of the Andromeda Galaxy. This is pretty cool!

HubbleSite - NewsCenter - Hubble's High-Definition Panoramic View of the Andromeda Galaxy (01/05/2015) - Release Images
    Guytronic likes this.
    01-23-2015 01:25 PM
    I don't blame just leaders for this mess. We've let it happen.
    Been following the clock for a number of years.
    I was wondering when it would move in light of the global happenings.
    palandri likes this.
    01-23-2015 01:33 PM
    Watch Jumbo Asteroid Zip Past Earth

A mountain-size space rock will sail past Earth on Monday, offering stargazers a close look at an interplanetary pinball. Luckily, NASA says there is no risk of collision, but it will be a rare astronomically close encounter that backyard telescope owners can watch....

Watch Jumbo Asteroid Zip Past Earth
    Guytronic and a5cent like this.
    01-24-2015 12:01 PM
    Been following the clock for a number of years.
    I was wondering when it would move in light of the global happenings.
    Though both climate change and nuclear weapons are a problem the simple reality is we live on a knife edge. Always had, always will. Mass extinction is just a mega asteroid away along with other possible 'events'

The issue that most people don't see is that we have an over simplified idea of our existence and have over exaggerated our importance. The human race could disappear tomorrow and there would be no one to mourn its passing. The world would keep moving about it's course to its destiny. Whether humans are on this rock or not is irrelevant.

If aliens were to stop by many years from that point they would probably only find traces of our existence and nothing more. Though why aliens would want to stop by this backwater of a solar system is anyone's guess.
    01-26-2015 03:03 AM
    I'll answer a question that many people have on their minds.

Why do humans exist?

Because pikaia gracilens survived the mass extinction of the Pre Cambrian.

I know that won't satisfy everyone but it's the best answer I can give you. :P
    01-26-2015 05:39 AM
    Powerful event
    Attached Thumbnails gammaray.jpg  
    Guytronic and a5cent like this.
    01-28-2015 12:50 PM
    A can of regular Coke sinks in water, whereas a can of diet Coke does not. (from: Weird Things to Know)
    Attached Thumbnails cokecans.jpg  
    Guytronic, a5cent, N_LaRUE and 2 others like this.
    01-29-2015 01:56 PM
    tr.jpg

One of these flies over our house Monday thru Friday around 4 p.m.
    I wonder if the cameras are rolling?

(I shot this from the backyard using a Lumix digital camera with a 420 mm lens)
    palandri, a5cent, aximtreo and 1 others like this.
    01-30-2015 05:08 PM
    New space telescope would take better images than Hubble

Scientists are working on a new space telescope that could provide images up to 1,000 times sharper than those from the iconic Hubble.

New space telescope would take better images than Hubble - CBS News
    Guytronic, muneshyne21 and a5cent like this.
    01-31-2015 09:29 AM
    01-31-2015 06:38 PM
    Inside the ISS with the lights off. They need someone to do cable dressing. What a mess.
    Attached Thumbnails iss.jpg  
    a5cent, N_LaRUE, Guytronic and 1 others like this.
    02-01-2015 05:32 AM
    Dream Fearlessly!
    Attached Thumbnails andromeda.jpg  
    02-01-2015 07:33 PM
    Looking back in time.
    Attached Thumbnails lightclosetgalaxy.jpg  
    N_LaRUE, Guytronic and aximtreo like this.
    02-02-2015 10:05 AM
    Looking back in time.
    Now if we could only get some people to understand that concept...
    palandri, Guytronic and aximtreo like this.
    02-02-2015 10:43 AM
    Why can't you trust atoms?

Because they makeup everything
    02-02-2015 04:43 PM
    Still amazes me that humans keep murdering each other while gathering data from trillions of light years away.
    Looks like we aren't going anywhere until we decide what our true focus is.
    Hope we eventually quit focusing on murder.
    a5cent, palandri, aximtreo and 1 others like this.
    02-02-2015 06:21 PM
    Still amazes me that humans keep murdering each other while gathering data from trillions of light years away.
    Looks like we aren't going anywhere until we decide what our true focus is.
    Hope we eventually quit focusing on murder.
    Get rid of superstition of all sorts and you're 85% there.

Unfortunately there will always be those who will kill for power.
    palandri and Guytronic like this.
    02-03-2015 01:23 AM
    Sea slug
    Attached Thumbnails seaslug.jpg  
    Guytronic and Scienceguy Labs like this.
    02-03-2015 01:32 PM
    This thread is called rethinking history but it seems to have turned into the science thread. :P

Anyway, over here in the UK there's been this thing going on about removing mitochondrial disease by using this method described in this article - Three-parent IVF can produce babies free of disease, so let?s welcome it | Tom Solomon | Comment is free | The Guardian

The annoyance is that they keep calling it a 'three person baby' and the other garbage is the 'designer baby' argument. Neither of which are valid points. It's about eradicating a disease. I don't know what it is about certain groups of people who like to see other humans suffer.
    palandri and Guytronic like this.
    02-04-2015 08:19 AM
    500 million places to possibly visit.
    Attached Thumbnails facts-universe-science-11.jpg  
    Last edited by palandri; 02-04-2015 at 05:04 PM.
    02-04-2015 02:23 PM
    It's a pretty big place.
    Attached Thumbnails 10000galaxies.jpg  
    02-04-2015 02:26 PM
    This thread is called rethinking history but it seems to have turned into the science thread. :P

Anyway, over here in the UK there's been this thing going on about removing mitochondrial disease by using this method described in this article - Three-parent IVF can produce babies free of disease, so let?s welcome it | Tom Solomon | Comment is free | The Guardian

The annoyance is that they keep calling it a 'three person baby' and the other garbage is the 'designer baby' argument. Neither of which are valid points. It's about eradicating a disease. I don't know what it is about certain groups of people who like to see other humans suffer.
    Just saw a news bit about that, and they said exactly what you mentioned...."three person baby". Ignorance is not bliss in my opinion. This type of ignorance is stupefying.

And I probably shouldn't say this, but regarding groups that like to see people suffer... That can very easily be said about the omnipotent Christian god (as well as many other mythical deities) that apparently can help people make good grades and find the perfect mate, but can do very little against infant mortality rates, spread of disease, and a variety of cancers. Now that's what I call sadistic voyeurism! I think I'm going to join the local Free Thinkers club here. I need an outlet. ha ha ha

As far as rewriting history, I just read Ishmael for the 3rd time. It's a wonderful book that might make people think before they repeat the mistakes of the past. :)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishmael_(novel)
    Last edited by Scienceguy Labs; 02-04-2015 at 08:57 PM.
    a5cent, Guytronic, N_LaRUE and 1 others like this.
    02-04-2015 07:31 PM
    Inside the ISS with the lights off. They need someone to do cable dressing. What a mess.
    Is that Borg technology NASA's using now???? ha ha
    02-04-2015 07:49 PM
    Just saw a news bit about that, and they said exactly what you mentioned...."three person baby". Ignorance is not bliss in my opinion. This type of ignorance is stupefying.
    Yes and unfortunately there's a lot of people on this planet with that level of ignorance. The media does a great job of warping perception.

And I probably shouldn't say this, but regarding groups that like to see people suffer... That can very easily be said about the omnipotent Christian god (as well as many other mythical deities) that apparently can help people make good grades and find the perfect mate, but can do very little against infant mortality rates, spread of disease, and a variety of cancers. Now that's what I call sadistic voyeurism! I think I'm going to join the local Free Thinkers club here. I need an outlet. ha ha ha
    Considering the two groups mentioned who were trying to block this, RCC and the CoE, falls directly in line with your thoughts and I had them in mind when I was writing that post but was trying not to stir things. :P

There is of course another group out there that likes to see people suffer, the anti-vax crowd, or nature purest. Nothing aggravates me more than them. It's going to take a bloody pandemic of small pox or polio to make them see they're idiots, but even then they may not agree. People's warped perceptions and beliefs.

I'll agree with the concepts of eating a better diet and so on but they're perception of what is natural is very warped.

We just recently got Cafe Scientific in our town and the Sunday Assembly (http://sundayassembly.com/|) is starting a group as well. We have plans to check out both.

As far as rewriting history, I just read Ishmael for the 3rd time. It's a wonderful book that might make people think before they repeat the mistakes of the past. :)

Ishmael (novel) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I've heard of that book but haven't got around to reading it. I should though. :)
    02-05-2015 03:14 AM
    ....And I probably shouldn't say this, but regarding groups that like to see people suffer... That can very easily be said about the omnipotent Christian god (as well as many other mythical deities) that apparently can help people make good grades and find the perfect mate, but can do very little against infant mortality rates, spread of disease, and a variety of cancers. ..
    It was just a year or two ago, that the sect in Tennessee (or maybe it was Kentucky) that talk in tongue and have their ceremony with rattlesnakes was in the news for letting another kid die due to a rattlesnake bite. How they read some 2000 year old scripture about a serpent and translate that into a rattlesnake, then refuse to treat a rattlesnake bite because the bite was the will of their deity, is beyond my comprehension. Even being as non-confrontational as possible with these sects, like saying, "why don't you be a little more open minded", brings a fire and brimstone response. I have no idea how one could possibly get through to some of these sects. Even when they're confronted with indisputable science they don't believe it.
    Scienceguy Labs and N_LaRUE like this.
    02-05-2015 07:04 AM
295 ... 89101112