The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
02-20-2015 05:29 PM
295 1234 ...
tools
    I'm not saying it's aliens, BUT IT'S ALIENS!! 😄
    snowmutt likes this.
    02-25-2014 07:12 PM
    I like space aliens some are kind of nasty and dangerous.
    Others are cute and likable but still kind of dangerous.
    02-25-2014 07:17 PM
    I like Tribbles...and Jawas.
    Guytronic and snowmutt like this.
    02-25-2014 10:39 PM
    I like space aliens some are kind of nasty and dangerous.
    Others are cute and likable but still kind of dangerous.
    Aside from movies, how many have you got to know? :P
    Guytronic and snowmutt like this.
    02-26-2014 02:42 AM
    There's been a couple of SETI shows I've watched on the Science channel here in the states. I am thinking in the next 50 years we'll hear something and it may just be one way, not two way communication, and it will probably take a long time to decipher it, if that's even possible.
    SETI thought they'd have contact by now. Thing, it's not that straight forward. That's the problem. I'm not sure what technologies they use but to me I think with the amount of possible interferences that are probably out there trying to receive any signal long distance is going to be difficult. Especially one that traveled through time as well.

The most fascinating thing I have ever done was going to the Kitt Peak National Observatory in Arizona. They have a day and night program. During the day they take you into a room with a large round table that has the sun projected on it. It's really fascinating to watch the sun. At night they let you look through some of their large telescopes. It's mind blowing to see other galaxies and different nebula.
    I would love to do something like that! Hopefully one day. :)
    palandri likes this.
    02-26-2014 02:45 AM
    I think there are arguments going on about microbial life/or fossils of them being found in meteors identified as being form mars. Unfortunately there will never be a 100% agreement on stuff of this nature since you can argue about a billion different variables that could have been contaminated or misinterpreted.
    Contamination is always possible so I agree there. I was just going by what we know of our own world. There's microbacteria living in all sorts of environments here so it shouldn't be too shocking to find it on another planet.

What would be interesting is finding larger life forms. Either fossil or alive.
    02-26-2014 02:49 AM
    Aside from movies, how many have you got to know? :P
    I don't know the mystery people across the street from us very well, yet I'm pretty sure they're not of this planet.
    They seem to consume mass amounts of beer, potato chips along with a love for those firesticks.
    These people\entities reside in strange looking humanlike bipedal suits of skin.

... also the 59 year old teenage girl that occupies the structure next to the mystery people seems to exist in dimensional planes other than this one.
    She may be an alien plant or a higher form of being that is mostly disconnected from the resonance of earth.

My advice:
    Watch the skies ... and your neighbors.

N_LaRUE, palandri and snowmutt like this.
    02-26-2014 10:56 AM
    I don't know the mystery people across the street from us very well, yet I'm pretty sure they're not of this planet.
    They seem to consume mass amounts of beer, potato chips along with a love for those firesticks.
    These people\entities reside in strange looking humanlike bipedal suits of skin.
    Haven't you just describe a large portion of the western population?

... also the 59 year old teenage girl that occupies the structure next to the mystery people seems to exist in dimensional planes other than this one.
    She may be an alien plant or a higher form of being that is mostly disconnected from the resonance of earth.

My advice:
    Watch the skies ... and your neighbors.

Is the 59 a typo? I've seen people that act like they're from another planet. Sometimes they visit certain wards in hospitals... Others claim to be some sort of 'special' human that can communicate with the dead or aliens or both. I tend to avoid these types of people...
    Guytronic and palandri like this.
    02-26-2014 11:10 AM
    Contamination is always possible so I agree there. I was just going by what we know of our own world. There's microbacteria living in all sorts of environments here so it shouldn't be too shocking to find it on another planet.

What would be interesting is finding larger life forms. Either fossil or alive.
    Oh yeah there a bunch of life forms that pretty much prove the "human" combo of variables is not necessary. Excuse my general description but I know they are easily research-able:
    -Those weird tube thingys deep in the ocean near super hot volcanic vents spewing tons of chemicals extremely toxic to us. Those are large relatively speaking.

The "Planet Earth" documentary has some interesting creatures. Plus its fun to watch with a bag of Funions...two large pizzas...popcorn...water...lots of water...
    Last edited by muneshyne21; 02-26-2014 at 02:49 PM.
    palandri, N_LaRUE and Guytronic like this.
    02-26-2014 01:40 PM
    This has become my favorite off topic thread. Thanks for starting it muneshyne21
    Guytronic, N_LaRUE and snowmutt like this.
    02-26-2014 02:47 PM
    Oh yeah there a bunch of life forms that pretty much prove the "human" combo of variables is not necessary. Excuse my general description but I know they are easily research-able:
    -Those weird tube thingys deep in the ocean near super hot volcanic vents spewing tons of chemicals extremely toxic to us. Those are large relatively speaking.

The "Planet Earth" documentary has some interesting creatures. Plus its fun to watch with a bag of Funions...two large pizzas...popcorn...water...lots of water...
    They've found bacteria living in hot mud pools in volcanic regions of the world. These pools tend to be not only hot but highly acidic. I believe there's speculation that there's possible bacteria in the atmosphere of Venus which is similar in composition.

They've also found bacteria living in the opposite end of the spectrum which leads to speculation of bacteria being found one one the moons of Jupiter (I forget which one) which is apparently ice with water underneath it.

So lots of possibilities to find life on other planets or moons in our own solar system. Time and money are the key factors unfortunately.
    Guytronic and palandri like this.
    02-26-2014 03:40 PM
    Are there any advanced multicelled organisms that dont need water?
    02-26-2014 06:07 PM
    Are there any advanced multicelled organisms that dont need water?
    Not on earth, some can go a long time without it, but eventually become dormant until they receive water.
    02-26-2014 06:41 PM
    Not on earth, some can go a long time without it, but eventually become dormant until they receive water.
    Brine Shrimp come to mind.
    02-26-2014 07:35 PM
    Ok, well to bring this back to the original post I stumbled upon this So it turns out this tiny alien-like skeleton is actually human!
    Its about a tiny human skeleton found in South America. Its most likely not an Alien. They mentioned a human skull abnormality known as oxycephaly which creates abnormally shaped skulls. What makes this interesting in my google search is that another similar condition known as scaphocephaly causes skull plates to fuse and have abnormal shapes like the ones shown in the skulls found in the article. There is a difference though since the ridge is in the back of an abnormal child and the ridge in the skulls are in the front.
    Odd Skull Shapes: Heads Up on Diagnosis and Therapy | Psychiatric Times

Conclusion, there is still a possibility that these skulls found are not deformed humans...
    palandri likes this.
    02-27-2014 02:14 PM
    Conclusion, there is still a possibility that these skulls found are not deformed humans...
    Allow me to be the skeptic here.

Problem #1 - The idea that 'aliens' must be humanoid in shape is a human conceit we have. We cannot say for certain what evolution would do on another planet. We are DNA based but who's to say that's what it is on another planet? We simply don't know.

Problem #2 - If they are alien to our world the likelihood of being able to breed with them would probably be impossible. It would take some massive science to make it work. Even though mostly everything on our planet is DNA based (there's some odd balls) that doesn't mean we can breed with it and produce offspring.

As stated in the report, there's derogation factors and contamination issues. The poor thing was human. Probably suffered immeasurably for the short period of time it spent on this planet. That of course if it was even born. I'm questioning that 6-8 years thing. However we do know that humans can be quite small. List of shortest people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So in my opinion, there's nothing to indicate this individual was anything other than human. I'll leave it there until further science comes in.
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 02-28-2014 at 07:16 AM.
    02-28-2014 04:32 AM
    I have no idea how they can tell that 6 inch skeleton is 6 to 8 years old. They said genetic analysis of the bones indicated the age.

I think there's going to be some consistency in regards to life in the universe, just like there's consistency with the elements. The periodic table on earth will be periodic table across the universe.
    02-28-2014 07:53 AM
    I have no idea how they can tell that 6 inch skeleton is 6 to 8 years old. They said genetic analysis of the bones indicated the age.
    I'm not too critical on the age thing, it's just when you have something that small and other factors it can become difficult to make a proper analysis. They even admit as much.

I think there's going to be some consistency in regards to life in the universe, just like there's consistency with the elements. The periodic table on earth will be periodic table across the universe.
    We assume that all elements will be the same but if I recall correctly they keep finding new ones to add to the table. We probably don't know them all.

Even though life can be made up of the same elements regardless where you go and evolution will be the same process on every planet where life can exist that doesn't mean you'll end up with DNA as the forerunner of evolution on that planet. We already know on our own planet there are others and possibly there were more in the early stages of life. It's just that this particular one survived for whatever reason.

There's also speculation that life doesn't have to stay carbon based. Silicon is another possibility. Or who knows?

There's no saying that a humanoid shape would work or be a survivor on every planet. In reality, the human body is a bit of a mess and even though there's people saying humans won't continue to evolve I tend to disagree with that. The human form is a good one but it might not be the best one.

It's hard to break through the conceit that we have and it's hard to envision something else as being better or more suited to the task. This is where we fall down as humans.
    palandri likes this.
    02-28-2014 08:20 AM
    ...We assume that all elements will be the same but if I recall correctly they keep finding new ones to add to the table. We probably don't know them all....
    That makes sense. The most consistent element we see across the universe is hydrogen just by looking at all the stars. It's almost hard to understand how gravity can compress hydrogen so tightly that a star is born.

Astronaut, astro means star, naut means sailor. I want to be a star sailor.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    02-28-2014 08:54 AM
    They don't find new elements, they create them.
    02-28-2014 12:20 PM
    Allow me to be the skeptic here.

Problem #1 - The idea that 'aliens' must be humanoid in shape is a human conceit we have. We cannot say for certain what evolution would do on another planet. We are DNA based but who's to say that's what it is on another planet? We simply don't know.

Problem #2 - If they are alien to our world the likelihood of being able to breed with them would probably be impossible. It would take some massive science to make it work. Even though mostly everything on our planet is DNA based (there's some odd balls) that doesn't mean we can breed with it and produce offspring.

As stated in the report, there's derogation factors and contamination issues. The poor thing was human. Probably suffered immeasurably for the short period of time it spent on this planet. That of course if it was even born. I'm questioning that 6-8 years thing. However we do know that humans can be quite small. List of shortest people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So in my opinion, there's nothing to indicate this individual was anything other than human. I'll leave it there until further science comes in.
    I didnt mean alien. I just meant different species possibly branching off of early hominid and evolving parallel to homosapiens. Maybe close enough to interbreed. As far as the tiny human, I'd seen pictures of little people. Very rare and not the size of the skeleton but if its possible to be 20" tall, why not 6". It must have been the easiest birth ever...You think she even knew? Like when the baby kicked did she just blame on the ancient Taco Bell she had for dinner the night before?
    02-28-2014 02:54 PM
    As a general rule, I am in favor of anything that shakes up what we think we "know". Super long skelton heads? Oh yeah. Extinct fish shows back up? Makes me smile. Megladon, Loch Ness, Bigfoot, and Alien sightings? Yep, yep, and yep.

Not that I believe in all them, but anything that reminds us that the only thing we know is that we actually don't know squat is fine with me. Life is way more fun that way!!
    03-02-2014 02:16 AM
    Reviving Extinct Species

This is interesting: De-Extinction - Bringing Extinct Species Back to Life - Pictures, News, TEDx Conference
    03-03-2014 12:41 AM
    Finally sat through the movie "Zeitgeist" on Netflix. Man, talk about rethinking history. Even if a fraction of that documentary has truth behind it... *Putting on my tinfoil hat as I type this.*
    palandri likes this.
    03-03-2014 12:52 AM
    This is interesting but unfortunately has it's limits. For example you can't bring back something from 65 million years ago. The other question to ask of course is, is it a good idea? There's lots of talk about bringing the woolly mammoth back for example.
    palandri likes this.
    03-03-2014 02:08 AM
295 1234 ...