The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
02-20-2015 05:29 PM
295 ... 56789 ...
tools
    05-06-2014 06:28 PM
    I don't disagree with the idea of life outside this planet. As stated by many scientist it seems illogical if there wasn't. The question is, how much intelligent life is out there.

The face rock is just that, a rock. Cydonia (region of Mars) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As humans we have a tendency to look for faces. It's only natural. Have you never stared at something on a floor or some scribbles and saw a face?
    I can't remember who said it, but I remember someone saying, even if there's intelligent life on one planet circling every trillionth star, there's a lot of intelligent life out there. Given how big the universe is, it makes sense mathematically.

I watched the first Viking live when the face on Mars was first seen. I am still not convinced it was all shadows.

Maybe I am not creative enough, but I really don't see scribbles as a face.

I still wonder how fast we became human. How did our DNA change so quickly. Was it just evolution or did an alien change it. i don't know, nor does anyone else know for sure. i would think evolution, but who knows.
    Last edited by palandri; 05-07-2014 at 12:20 AM.
    05-06-2014 11:53 PM
    Ok, ok, I wont use the term faith because it has religious implications. How about "Belief in Something". It could be as simple as a belief that they can complete their experiment regardless of the outcome. Even the term "hope" can work. I'm using these terms to describe the motivating force to do science not to describe how science is conducted
    First allow me to apologise as I may have been on the grumpy side yesterday. I'm not trying to be mean here.

There are people who seem to take issue with science being as good as it is and keep trying to knock it down to the same level as religion and use the same words you used. Which is why I take issue with them. I get where you're coming from but you're talking more about secondary emotions rather than why people want to do science in the first place. It can be summed up in one word even. It's called 'curiosity'. A desire to know. A good scientist views the world in questions.

Science rides on the back of previous knowledge but continues to question everything. That's what science does. To the lay person like me, science provides facts about the world, life and the universe and will continue to do so. Simply because it works.

I'm quite comfortable with what science tells me, even if it doesn't comfort me. Hope that makes sense.
    05-07-2014 03:50 AM
    I can't remember who said it, but I remember someone saying, even if there's intelligent life on one planet circling every trillionth star, there's a lot of intelligent life out there. Given how big the universe is, it makes sense mathematically.

I watched the first Viking live when the face on Mars was first seen. I am still not convinced it was all shadows.
    I don't disagree that intelligent life doesn't exist elsewhere. It would seem logical. We just know it's a rare occurrence. Even on this planet, depending on what you mean by 'intelligent' there is only one species on this planet in the 4.5 billion years that has broken the 'animal' mode and gone on to do other things.

I can see shapes in all kinds of things. I've done it since I was young. Funnily enough I have trouble with those hidden 3D images in art, if you know what I'm referring to.

I still wonder how fast we became human. How did our DNA change so quickly. Was it just evolution or did an alien change it. i don't know, nor does anyone else know for sure. i would think evolution, but who knows.
    I'm not sure what you mean here. In what way was our DNA changed quickly? In what way did we become human fast? As far as I know this isn't an issue in evolutionary science or any of the books or articles I've read on it. Is there a link to information concerning this? I've heard the occasional comment by people who question evolution that aliens or a supernatural being had to have something to do with humans coming about because it simply couldn't happen 'naturally'. There's no evidence as far as I know that indicates otherwise.
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 05-07-2014 at 08:28 AM.
    05-07-2014 04:11 AM
    I don't disagree that intelligent life doesn't exist elsewhere. It would seem logical. We just know it's a rare occurrence. Even on this planet, depending on what you mean by 'intelligent' there is only one species on this planet in the 4.5 billion years that has broken the 'animal' mode and gone on to do other things.

I can see shapes in all kinds of things. I've done since I was young. Funnily enough I have trouble with those hidden 3D images in art, if you know what I'm referring to.

I'm not sure what you mean here. In what way was our DNA changed quickly? In what way did we become human fast? As far as I know this isn't an issue in evolutionary science or any of the books or articles I've read on it. Is there a link to information concerning this? I've heard the occasional comment by people who question evolution that aliens or a supernatural being had to have something to do with humans coming about because it simply couldn't happen 'naturally'. There's no evidence as far as I know that indicates otherwise.
    I am just throwing some wild thoughts out there. Do we really know how DNA molecules first appeared? A few people have suggested that DNA came from elsewhere, but the bottom line is I don't disagree with evolution or Dawkins.
    05-07-2014 07:45 AM
    I am just throwing some wild thoughts out there. Do we really know how DNA molecules first appeared? A few people have suggested that DNA came from elsewhere, but the bottom line is I don't disagree with evolution or Dawkins.
    Dawkins is but one scientist in many who agree that evolution is the only way things came about. Another good book on evolution is by Jerry Coyne, Why Evolution Is True.

The beginning of life is a tricky one. For all we know there were several different strands running at the same time and only one had the fidelity to continue. Is DNA the standard in the universe? Is it evolved from RNA? We'll probably create life in the lab in the coming years, however that probably won't explain everything.

I think the idea of DNA coming from elsewhere goes with the theory that life in microscopic form is abundant in the universe. The idea is that when Earth filled with water, the method is still in question but current science indicates asteroid impacts, there was life already with it.

Thing is, when we talk about life and non life most people have trouble realizing the blurry line between the two. It's a lot more blurry then most people would be comfortable with.
    05-07-2014 07:57 AM
    What really keeps me from fully embracing the face or several other intriguing things spotted on Mars are the odds of it being natural. In a sense, spotting what we think are man made objects on Mars is like a Earth Rorschach test. We pic the things that look familiar to us. Kinda like finding clouds that look like animals. As an example, you can probably find a ton of natural faces using Google Earth if you look at all the mountain regions. The same goes with the grid-like, pyramid or circular anomalies found on Mars's surface. My rule of thumb is if we have it on Earth naturally, then it can naturally be created on Mars since it did have water at some point to erode things. Because the gravity is less over there, the scales of these things might have been larger. That doesnt mean I dont want them to be alien made but Im trying to keep a level head here :P

First allow me to apologise as I may have been on the grumpy side yesterday. I'm not trying to be mean here.
    Haha, no offense taken at all. Curiosity is definitely the mother of science.
    05-07-2014 03:14 PM
    What really keeps me from fully embracing the face or several other intriguing things spotted on Mars are the odds of it being natural. In a sense, spotting what we think are man made objects on Mars is like a Earth Rorschach test. We pic the things that look familiar to us. Kinda like finding clouds that look like animals. As an example, you can probably find a ton of natural faces using Google Earth if you look at all the mountain regions. The same goes with the grid-like, pyramid or circular anomalies found on Mars's surface. My rule of thumb is if we have it on Earth naturally, then it can naturally be created on Mars since it did have water at some point to erode things. Because the gravity is less over there, the scales of these things might have been larger. That doesnt mean I dont want them to be alien made but Im trying to keep a level head here :P...
    I understand what you're saying. I've also seen numerous other pictures from Mars where people have pointed out skulls, or statues...etc..., but they all needed an extreme imagination. Now the face on Mars, that didn't take any imagination.
    05-07-2014 04:04 PM
    I understand what you're saying. I've also seen numerous other pictures from Mars where people have pointed out skulls, or statues...etc..., but they all needed an extreme imagination. Now the face on Mars, that didn't take any imagination.
    There's a great YouTube video that I like and would link to if I could. It's about how our mind works with regards to belief. It's by a psychologist. Very interesting stuff.

The reason why I suggest it is it deals with our visualization. Which is part of the reason why you see the face on Mars.

If you're interested (as I can't link from my work computer) the video is called Why we believe by Andy Thompson. It's a talk he did at a convention. There might be some things said that you may not agree with (a bit of a warning) but the content is great all the same. The science behind the talk is very fascinating and still being worked on. It will cause issues in the US for sure.

I like controversial topics. :)
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 05-08-2014 at 08:30 AM.
    05-08-2014 02:56 AM

I think the idea of DNA coming from elsewhere goes with the theory that life in microscopic form is abundant in the universe. The idea is that when Earth filled with water, the method is still in question but current science indicates asteroid impacts, there was life already with it.
    Sounds like you are partially describing the endosymbiotic theory, which Lynn Margulis described in On the origin of mitosing cells and in Symbiosis in Cell Evolution. Margulis proposed that eukaryotes evolved via cooperation between various prokaryotes.
    05-08-2014 07:17 PM
    What I have a hard time wrapping my head around is the big bang theory. Philosophically speaking in order for there to be something, its opposite must also exist i.e you cant feel happiness without sadness or in order to have something living you must also have something you can call dead.

In order to have something after the big bang, there had to be nothing before it. If there was something before the big bang then there should have been nothing before that. I always come back to the same question: How do you start with "something"? Something implies it has an origin. If you start with nothing (not even space or time let alone protons and electrons floating around), how does something manifest itself since there is nothing to make anything?
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-08-2014 11:18 PM
    What I have a hard time wrapping my head around is the big bang theory. Philosophically speaking in order for there to be something, its opposite must also exist i.e you cant feel happiness without sadness or in order to have something living you must also have something you can call dead.

In order to have something after the big bang, there had to be nothing before it. If there was something before the big bang then there should have been nothing before that. I always come back to the same question: How do you start with "something"? Something implies it has an origin. If you start with nothing (not even space or time let alone protons and electrons floating around), how does something manifest itself since there is nothing to make anything?
    I am confused. Maybe you can get more specific.

The universe is expanding, just run that expanding universe movie in reverse and it goes to a singularity. In the beginning there was only gravity and hydrogen, the simplest element. After gravity compressed hydrogen tight enough it ignited and became a star. We know heavier elements came from exploding stars.
    05-09-2014 12:44 AM
    I am confused. Maybe you can get more specific.

The universe is expanding, just run that expanding universe movie in reverse and it goes to a singularity. In the beginning there was only gravity and hydrogen, the simplest element. After gravity compressed hydrogen tight enough it ignited and became a star. We know heavier elements came from exploding stars.
    I'm referring to before that. Where did the hydrogen and gravity come from?
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-09-2014 12:56 AM
    I'm referring to before that. Where did the hydrogen and gravity come from?
    LOL! I might be old, but I wasn't around back then. Instead of repeating what's already out there on the internet, here's a couple of links:

Big Bang Matter

Where Does Gravity Come From?

Gravity is pretty interesting. If we found a planet like earth, that was the size of our sun, we wouldn't be able to live on it because the gravity would be 22X the gravity on earth.
    05-09-2014 07:34 AM
    Sounds like you are partially describing the endosymbiotic theory, which Lynn Margulis described in On the origin of mitosing cells and in Symbiosis in Cell Evolution. Margulis proposed that eukaryotes evolved via cooperation between various prokaryotes.
    I didn't recall the theory off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure I heard it from somewhere. I didn't know the specifics just knew of the theory. I'm not sure whether I agree wholly with it. I know water is abundant in the universe or should I say ice. That doesn't mean there's life with it. So simplifying ice =/= life.
    05-09-2014 08:16 AM
    Tonight on Cosmos - "The Electric Boy" Scientist Michael Faraday's ideas and discoveries changed the future of high technologyand instantaneous communication.
    05-11-2014 08:50 AM
    Evolution from Hominin to Human was a "special event".
    Research News: Human Brain Evolution Was a 'Special Event' | Howard Hughes Medical Institute

I am watching Ancient Aliens.
    05-17-2014 10:24 AM
    We Are Dead Stars

Every atom in our bodies was fused in an ancient star. NASA astronomer Dr. Michelle Thaller explains how the iron in our blood connects us to one of the most violent acts in the universe—a supernova explosion—and what the universe might look like when all the stars die out....

We Are Dead Stars - The Atlantic
    05-17-2014 10:39 AM
    Tonight on Cosmos - "The Immortals" The possibility that some beings live forever and why other civilizations die, and the cosmic calandar of the future.
    05-18-2014 11:57 AM
    Are these mystery radio bursts messages from ALIENS? Freak frequency from outside the Milky Way baffles astronomers

Scientists are trying to work out what is causing Fast Radio Bursts (FRBs)...

Are these mystery radio bursts messages from ALIENS? | Mail Online
    05-20-2014 09:56 AM
    We'll Find Alien Life in This Lifetime, Scientists Tell Congress

Humans have long wondered whether we are alone in the universe. According to scientists working with the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) Institute, the question may be answered in the near future....
    We'll Find Alien Life in This Lifetime, Scientists Tell Congress | Space.com
    05-24-2014 09:47 AM
    We'll Find Alien Life in This Lifetime, Scientists Tell Congress

We'll Find Alien Life in This Lifetime, Scientists Tell Congress | Space.com
    Not to be a pain but they said the same thing about fusion energy. Latest timeline on that is 30 to 50 years... same thing they said when they first started investigating it. :P

I'm not saying that it's impossible just how does one 'find' intelligent life easily if it's planet bound like us? If this life has managed to travel space, the next question one should ask is, do we really want it near us? Is it a good idea?

I'm all for finding life. That would be cool. Would screw up a lot of people's perception of the universe. Which is good. Whether it's the kind of life we want to find is a different question.
    palandri likes this.
    05-27-2014 06:22 AM
    Talking about alien life, well not really, but something really strange happened last night.

I had my sidewalk replaced and about a week ago they filled in the area around the sidewalk with dirt. It rained last night. When I walked outside this morning I said, "Where did all this broken glass come from?". The area they filled with dirt appeared to be covered with broken glass. I went to pick up a piece of the glass and it turned out to be a clear gelatin.

I am guessing the composite material they put down on the dirt to grow grass had some type of dried gelatin material to hold water to encourage the grass to grow. Last night's rain must have enlarged it. The odd thing is it only appeared on the dirt on the east side of the sidewalk, but not the west wide dirt.
    Attached Thumbnails lawn1.jpg   lawn2.jpg  
    05-27-2014 07:45 AM
    Tomorrow on Cosmos 01June2014

A trip to Venus. The impact of climate change on the earth's atmosphere.
    05-31-2014 11:12 AM
    Tonight on Cosmos, "Unafraid of the dark", Neil deGrasse Tyson explores the mystery of dark energy, Fritz Zwicky's observations of a supernova and Voyagers golden record.
    06-08-2014 06:27 PM
295 ... 56789 ...