Rethinking History

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, "interesting" is a nice way of putting it too. ha ha
Actually, the big corporations here bring in a wide variety of people, but most conform to things pretty quickly once they move into the area. There is a Free Thinkers club here, but everyone is scared to go for fear of job repercussions...including me. It's unfortunate.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Actually, the big corporations here bring in a wide variety of people, but most conform to things pretty quickly once they move into the area. There is a Free Thinkers club here, but everyone is scared to go for fear of job repercussions...including me. It's unfortunate.

LOL! That doesn't sound very free thinking to me. :grin:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

That is truly sad. What a mess the US is. Well our world in general. :/

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
@palandri I hear ya. I've always wanted to go because the few brave people who host the meetings seem to be exactly the kinds of people I'd love to have conversations with. But, if news spread that I, a 5th grade teacher, attended those meetings...I'd be squeezed out of my job fairly quickly. It is very frustrating to have to always bite my tongue. lol

@N_LaRue It really is. And the US is embarrassingly leading the charge right back into the dark ages. ha ha ha Looking at it from my perspective, I've learned that the kids are not scared to think about things with an evidenced-based frame of mind. It's the parents who corrupt the thought process. It's really amazing to me how knowledge and understanding can stir up so much fear and misunderstanding amongst adults. lol

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
In my classes, while I do have a specific curriculum to teach, my main goal is to create skeptical, scientific thinkers who pay attention to observations and seek out evidence before making critical belief decisions.

He's a WITCH! Burn him at the stake!

No forreals, I think the best teacher I ever had was in Berkeley. He taught a class on Race,Class, and Gender. Instead of spoon feeding us information and telling us to crap it out in an exam I always left with tons of questions not knowing which info the professor actually felt was important. A huge portion of the class dropped the course thinking he was a bad/indecisive teacher. I started to appreciate how great he was to make us figure out how the curriculum fits into our realities instead of expecting us to regurgitate points we felt HE wanted to hear. That semester, his class was on my mind the most. After that I realize that a good teacher will have you thinking (and almost confused) after each lesson instead of feeling enlightened because you take everything they say as truth.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Ha ha ha
Well, consider yourself fortunate, muneshyne21. Most people never get that kind of teacher, and when they do, they usually don't realize it. Kudos to you for recognizing and taking advantage of your situation.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't recall having a good teacher in school. There were some nice ones but that's not the same. I've often wondered what career I'd be in had one just did the hook right. Then again there were other issues that made things a bit difficult. Such is life.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Reminder! Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey is on tonight 16-March-2013 The episode is called, "Some of the things that molecules do"

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The series isn't broadcasting here in the UK, well on any of the free channels. It's a real bummer because I'd like to see it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers