Rethinking History

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Ok lets have fun with this one:
News flash: Strange light on Mars causes some brains to puff up - The Big Science Blog

Now keep in mind that debunking an idea with conjecture is just as narrow minded as trying to prove it with conjecture.
Facts:
-This photo is authentic
-A second photo was taken a few seconds/minutes? after the this photo was taken by the other camera on curiosity that doesn't show the light.
-There is no definitive proof of it being a camera/data glitch OR an artificial light.
- This same light was shown on another photo with the same non-light copy taken not too long afterwards.

My guesses:
-Some weird natural geyser like phenomena that dies really quickly
-An artificial light that blinks very slowly
-perfect sun reflection into the lens off of a highly reflective surface. The second camera is at a slightly different angle so wont see the reflection.
-E.T. phoning home.

I'm leaning towards the latter hypothetical.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Tonight on Cosmos: Deeper, Deeper, Deeper Still

Exploring the universe on the smallest scale, including exotic life forms invisible to the eye. The neural network in the brain. The most mysterious particle.

I wonder if he's going to get into quantum physics where a particle can be in two different places at the same time? I get confused every time I hear someone talking about it.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Tonight on Cosmos: Deeper, Deeper, Deeper Still

Exploring the universe on the smallest scale, including exotic life forms invisible to the eye. The neural network in the brain. The most mysterious particle.

I wonder if he's going to get into quantum physics where a particle can be in two different places at the same time? I get confused every time I hear someone talking about it.

It's one of those things they're still determining I thought. I've seen the 'simple' version of the experiment on a TV show. I think it was Brian Cox but it may have been someone else. It's a weird phenomenon. Especially when the get the 'observer' involved. It's a bit of a mind bend.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Tonight on Cosmos: "The clean room" Geo-chemist Clair Patterson develops the uranium-lead dating method and draws attention to the negative effects of lead in the environment.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
So I am watching a show on the Science channel tonight and they're talking about the speed of light being the speed limit. Then I thought:

Let's say we have point A, B and C. Point A and C are moving away from point B at the speed of light in opposite directions.

Question #1. Would point A be to see point C moving away?

Question #2. If point A could see point C, wouldn't it be moving away at twice the speed of light?

Question #3 Technically aren't they moving away from each other at twice the speed of light?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I had to go find the explanation. I recall a presentation from Lawrence Krauss where he touched on this a bit. He was describing how the universe's current expansion and speed means that one day in the future we may not even be able to see stars because they'll be so far away. In any case. To answer.

The speed of light is based on the point of view of the observer. It's a constant so regardless where you are everything will move at that rate. Therefore, A and C will simply be going at the same speed from one another but increasing in distance.

I think I explained that right.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I had to go find the explanation. I recall a presentation from Lawrence Krauss where he touched on this a bit. He was describing how the universe's current expansion and speed means that one day in the future we may not even be able to see stars because they'll be so far away. In any case. To answer.

The speed of light is based on the point of view of the observer. It's a constant so regardless where you are everything will move at that rate. Therefore, A and C will simply be going at the same speed from one another but increasing in distance.

I think I explained that right.

On the show they were talking about the Hubble telescope, where they pointed it at a spot that they thought was empty space, but instead found thousand of galaxies. They said it appeared the galaxies were moving away faster than the speed of light. I thought, well if we are point A and depending on where point B is, point C being the galaxies, may very well be moving away at faster than the speed of light. Then I thought, how could we possibly see them, even with the Hubble, if they are moving away at the speed of light or greater.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte