Rethinking History

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
What I have a hard time wrapping my head around is the big bang theory. Philosophically speaking in order for there to be something, its opposite must also exist i.e you cant feel happiness without sadness or in order to have something living you must also have something you can call dead.

In order to have something after the big bang, there had to be nothing before it. If there was something before the big bang then there should have been nothing before that. I always come back to the same question: How do you start with "something"? Something implies it has an origin. If you start with nothing (not even space or time let alone protons and electrons floating around), how does something manifest itself since there is nothing to make anything?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
What I have a hard time wrapping my head around is the big bang theory. Philosophically speaking in order for there to be something, its opposite must also exist i.e you cant feel happiness without sadness or in order to have something living you must also have something you can call dead.

In order to have something after the big bang, there had to be nothing before it. If there was something before the big bang then there should have been nothing before that. I always come back to the same question: How do you start with "something"? Something implies it has an origin. If you start with nothing (not even space or time let alone protons and electrons floating around), how does something manifest itself since there is nothing to make anything?

I am confused. Maybe you can get more specific.

The universe is expanding, just run that expanding universe movie in reverse and it goes to a singularity. In the beginning there was only gravity and hydrogen, the simplest element. After gravity compressed hydrogen tight enough it ignited and became a star. We know heavier elements came from exploding stars.

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I am confused. Maybe you can get more specific.

The universe is expanding, just run that expanding universe movie in reverse and it goes to a singularity. In the beginning there was only gravity and hydrogen, the simplest element. After gravity compressed hydrogen tight enough it ignited and became a star. We know heavier elements came from exploding stars.

I'm referring to before that. Where did the hydrogen and gravity come from?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm referring to before that. Where did the hydrogen and gravity come from?

LOL! I might be old, but I wasn't around back then. :cool: Instead of repeating what's already out there on the internet, here's a couple of links:

Big Bang Matter

Where Does Gravity Come From?

Gravity is pretty interesting. If we found a planet like earth, that was the size of our sun, we wouldn't be able to live on it because the gravity would be 22X the gravity on earth.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you are partially describing the endosymbiotic theory, which Lynn Margulis described in On the origin of mitosing cells and in Symbiosis in Cell Evolution. Margulis proposed that eukaryotes evolved via cooperation between various prokaryotes.

I didn't recall the theory off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure I heard it from somewhere. I didn't know the specifics just knew of the theory. I'm not sure whether I agree wholly with it. I know water is abundant in the universe or should I say ice. That doesn't mean there's life with it. So simplifying ice =/= life.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Tonight on Cosmos - "The Electric Boy" Scientist Michael Faraday's ideas and discoveries changed the future of high technologyand instantaneous communication.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
We Are Dead Stars

Every atom in our bodies was fused in an ancient star. NASA astronomer Dr. Michelle Thaller explains how the iron in our blood connects us to one of the most violent acts in the universe—a supernova explosion—and what the universe might look like when all the stars die out....

We Are Dead Stars - The Atlantic

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Tonight on Cosmos - "The Immortals" The possibility that some beings live forever and why other civilizations die, and the cosmic calandar of the future.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
We'll Find Alien Life in This Lifetime, Scientists Tell Congress

We'll Find Alien Life in This Lifetime, Scientists Tell Congress | Space.com

Not to be a pain but they said the same thing about fusion energy. Latest timeline on that is 30 to 50 years... same thing they said when they first started investigating it. :p

I'm not saying that it's impossible just how does one 'find' intelligent life easily if it's planet bound like us? If this life has managed to travel space, the next question one should ask is, do we really want it near us? Is it a good idea?

I'm all for finding life. That would be cool. Would screw up a lot of people's perception of the universe. Which is good. Whether it's the kind of life we want to find is a different question.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Talking about alien life, well not really, but something really strange happened last night.

I had my sidewalk replaced and about a week ago they filled in the area around the sidewalk with dirt. It rained last night. When I walked outside this morning I said, "Where did all this broken glass come from?". The area they filled with dirt appeared to be covered with broken glass. I went to pick up a piece of the glass and it turned out to be a clear gelatin.

I am guessing the composite material they put down on the dirt to grow grass had some type of dried gelatin material to hold water to encourage the grass to grow. Last night's rain must have enlarged it. The odd thing is it only appeared on the dirt on the east side of the sidewalk, but not the west wide dirt.

Attachments

• lawn1.jpg
    lawn1.jpg
    907.3 KB · Views: 10
  • lawn2.jpg
    lawn2.jpg
    587.3 KB · Views: 10

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Tonight on Cosmos, "Unafraid of the dark", Neil deGrasse Tyson explores the mystery of dark energy, Fritz Zwicky's observations of a supernova and Voyagers golden record.

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
In an episode of, "How The Universe Works" a scientist made a statement that all matter gives off light. Then as an example he said we give off light, but it's infrared light. That makes sense, but does "all" matter really give off light?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss