Rethinking History

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Saw The Theory of Everything today. Really enjoyed it. It's definitely Oscar material.

Need to make my way to Cambridge now. :p

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
They really did a great job with it.
It was enjoyable. There were a few holes in some spots but not enough to make it annoying. Since it's easy to find out information on him it's no big deal. :)

I was a bit surprised by the focus on his disbelief in the film.

It would have been nice also if they showed more of his humour.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
eqyrkj.jpg

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I got a kick out of this:
The problem we have these days is:

1. People are not educated in science properly, or even better educated in critical thinking.

2. News reporting on science is terrible.

3. Because of 1 they don't understand that science is self correcting and not dogmatic.

Not to bag educators but if our science education was better most of the conspiracy theories we have would disappear.

I don't blame teachers but the school system.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I have since found out that The Theory of Everything is not exactly biographical. That's ok though. It doesn't really distract from the story. As long as it's close enough.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Not sure I quite understand that...

Maybe because there is a huge amount of space between an atom's nucleus and the electrons orbiting them? There is so much "nothing" there, compared to the particles themselves, that it's only the electromagnetic force that is preventing us from walking through each other...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Maybe because there is a huge amount of space between an atom's nucleus and the electrons orbiting them? There is so much "nothing" there, compared to the particles themselves, that it's only the electromagnetic force that is preventing us from walking through each other...

On an atomic level. The actual volume of the protons and neutrons is really small in comparison to the magnetic fields that spearates them.

Well I didn't realise you were going to that level... sheesh.

I'm very aware of the huge spaces in atoms. I also know that the idea about what 'life' is becomes questionable when you start breaking the elements down.

I felt like quoting some philosopher about what 'reality' is but I'll leave it there. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss