Rethinking History

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Still amazes me that humans keep murdering each other while gathering data from trillions of light years away.
Looks like we aren't going anywhere until we decide what our true focus is.
Hope we eventually quit focusing on murder.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Still amazes me that humans keep murdering each other while gathering data from trillions of light years away.
Looks like we aren't going anywhere until we decide what our true focus is.
Hope we eventually quit focusing on murder.
Get rid of superstition of all sorts and you're 85% there.

Unfortunately there will always be those who will kill for power.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
This thread is called rethinking history but it seems to have turned into the science thread. :p

Anyway, over here in the UK there's been this thing going on about removing mitochondrial disease by using this method described in this article - Three-parent IVF can produce babies free of disease, so let?s welcome it | Tom Solomon | Comment is free | The Guardian

The annoyance is that they keep calling it a 'three person baby' and the other garbage is the 'designer baby' argument. Neither of which are valid points. It's about eradicating a disease. I don't know what it is about certain groups of people who like to see other humans suffer.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
500 million places to possibly visit. :cool:

Attachments

• facts-universe-science-11.jpg
    facts-universe-science-11.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
This thread is called rethinking history but it seems to have turned into the science thread. :p

Anyway, over here in the UK there's been this thing going on about removing mitochondrial disease by using this method described in this article - Three-parent IVF can produce babies free of disease, so let?s welcome it | Tom Solomon | Comment is free | The Guardian

The annoyance is that they keep calling it a 'three person baby' and the other garbage is the 'designer baby' argument. Neither of which are valid points. It's about eradicating a disease. I don't know what it is about certain groups of people who like to see other humans suffer.

Just saw a news bit about that, and they said exactly what you mentioned...."three person baby". Ignorance is not bliss in my opinion. This type of ignorance is stupefying.

And I probably shouldn't say this, but regarding groups that like to see people suffer... That can very easily be said about the omnipotent Christian god (as well as many other mythical deities) that apparently can help people make good grades and find the perfect mate, but can do very little against infant mortality rates, spread of disease, and a variety of cancers. Now that's what I call sadistic voyeurism! I think I'm going to join the local Free Thinkers club here. I need an outlet. ha ha ha

As far as rewriting history, I just read Ishmael for the 3rd time. It's a wonderful book that might make people think before they repeat the mistakes of the past. :)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishmael_(novel)

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Just saw a news bit about that, and they said exactly what you mentioned...."three person baby". Ignorance is not bliss in my opinion. This type of ignorance is stupefying.

Yes and unfortunately there's a lot of people on this planet with that level of ignorance. The media does a great job of warping perception.

And I probably shouldn't say this, but regarding groups that like to see people suffer... That can very easily be said about the omnipotent Christian god (as well as many other mythical deities) that apparently can help people make good grades and find the perfect mate, but can do very little against infant mortality rates, spread of disease, and a variety of cancers. Now that's what I call sadistic voyeurism! I think I'm going to join the local Free Thinkers club here. I need an outlet. ha ha ha

Considering the two groups mentioned who were trying to block this, RCC and the CoE, falls directly in line with your thoughts and I had them in mind when I was writing that post but was trying not to stir things. :p

There is of course another group out there that likes to see people suffer, the anti-vax crowd, or nature purest. Nothing aggravates me more than them. It's going to take a bloody pandemic of small pox or polio to make them see they're idiots, but even then they may not agree. People's warped perceptions and beliefs.

I'll agree with the concepts of eating a better diet and so on but they're perception of what is natural is very warped.

We just recently got Cafe Scientific in our town and the Sunday Assembly (http://sundayassembly.com/|) is starting a group as well. We have plans to check out both.

As far as rewriting history, I just read Ishmael for the 3rd time. It's a wonderful book that might make people think before they repeat the mistakes of the past. :)

Ishmael (novel) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've heard of that book but haven't got around to reading it. I should though. :)

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
....And I probably shouldn't say this, but regarding groups that like to see people suffer... That can very easily be said about the omnipotent Christian god (as well as many other mythical deities) that apparently can help people make good grades and find the perfect mate, but can do very little against infant mortality rates, spread of disease, and a variety of cancers. ..

It was just a year or two ago, that the sect in Tennessee (or maybe it was Kentucky) that talk in tongue and have their ceremony with rattlesnakes was in the news for letting another kid die due to a rattlesnake bite. How they read some 2000 year old scripture about a serpent and translate that into a rattlesnake, then refuse to treat a rattlesnake bite because the bite was the will of their deity, is beyond my comprehension. Even being as non-confrontational as possible with these sects, like saying, "why don't you be a little more open minded", brings a fire and brimstone response. I have no idea how one could possibly get through to some of these sects. Even when they're confronted with indisputable science they don't believe it.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
It was just a year or two ago, that the sect in Tennessee (or maybe it was Kentucky) that talk in tongue and have their ceremony with rattlesnakes was in the news for letting another kid die due to a rattlesnake bite. How they read some 2000 year old scripture about a serpent and translate that into a rattlesnake, then refuse to treat a rattlesnake bite because the bite was the will of their deity, is beyond my comprehension. Even being as non-confrontational as possible with these sects, like saying, "why don't you be a little more open minded", brings a fire and brimstone response. I have no idea how one could possibly get through to some of these sects. Even when they're confronted with indisputable science they don't believe it.

That 2000 year old book and other books of that sort which are still being used today are all problematic.

If you're interested in the snake thing there appears to be three specific passages they use. Snake handling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Snake handler cults are but a drop in a very vast ocean of ignorance. In most western world countries we have the issue of creationists (not just Christian) with their 6000 or 10,000 year old philosophies and rapture ready nonsense entering governments and pushing their ideas regardless how stupid they are and there are many who agree with them. They're not all in the US... even thought it feels that way sometimes. Let's not discuss ID science...

Then you have all the other religions and superstitions out there in other parts of the world and you can't help but wonder when we're ever going to get out of the dark ages...

Last edited:

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

I remember that. I try to respect the beliefs of others, but, in that instance, two words come to mind: "stupid" and "murder". It's unfortunate that children stuck in that environment suffer helplessly because their parents are delusional. Children should not be forced to adhere to adult fantasies and delusions that carry such grave consequences. I find it humorous when biblical literalists make the news for tragic situations such as this, because the everyday, patriotic Christian, god's real chosen few, are just as distressed by the news as non-believers and other common folk. Situations like this point out that even the people who say they really believe and pray for material things, health, and christmas presents really, deep down, don't believe it. lol It takes a real believer to do what "radical" Christians do. Everyday Christians waste their time hoping god will deliver everyday prayers, while the true, "bible is the word of god" believers are willing to kill their children in his name. Sounds like a story right out of the good book. Ha ha ha

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Everyday Christians waste their time hoping god will deliver everyday prayers, while the true, "bible is the word of god" believers are willing to kill their children in his name. Sounds like a story right out of the good book. Ha ha ha

I'm sure you're like me and know that many many 'Christians' will be startled by the amount of child killing, hatred of women and genocide that actually exists in the bible. Most have brush off excuses for it though.

Let's not forget that the Abrahamic religions are based on a guy keen on killing his son in the name of his 'god', whoever that was, and knew very well how to go about doing so.

I try not to get into the 'no true Scotsman' argument about who the real 'insert religious sect' is. It's all nonsense as far as I'm concerned.

I'm all for allowing people to do what they want on a Sunday or any other day for that matter as an adult. I just ask one favour in return. They do the same for me and keep their nonsense out of my every day life. :)

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure you're like me and know that many many 'Christians' will be startled by the amount of child killing, hatred of women and genocide that actually exists in the bible. Most have brush off excuses for it though.

That's only if they actually read the bible. lol All you really have to do is look at the social conditions found in the middle east, and you can find the bible and all of its problems in action...minus all of the hocus pocus, of course. �� But, most people have only skimmed through the tame bits or listened to their pastor's interpretations of the bible. Few have actually read all of it. It's quite a chore to get through, in my opinion. It took me an entire year to get through it. lol

Let's not forget that the Abrahamic religions are based on a guy keen on killing his son in the name of his 'god', whoever that was, and knew very well how to go about doing so.

I've always been fascinated by the fact that people have convinced themselves that Abraham should be glorified for that. They compartmentalize the fact that he was going to kill his son, and cover it up with the idea that Abraham's love and devotion to god was very strong....so strong, in fact, that god stopped him in the nick of time. hahaha Too bad he has never stepped in at the nick of time for the millions of amputees around the world.

I try not to get into the 'no true Scotsman' argument about who the real 'insert religious sect' is. It's all nonsense as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, it's a waste of time. However, in my profession, I have to keep my views out of every conversation at work and outside of work for fear that someone would throw a fit. It bugs me that I'm kept silent by hypocrites. If those people actually lived the way they say they live (and the way they accuse me of not living), I'd have less of an issue.

I'm all for allowing people to do what they want on a Sunday or any other day for that matter as an adult. I just ask one favour in return. They do the same for me and keep their nonsense out of my every day life. :)

Last edited:

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Although the start of this thread was intended to look beyond what we know now in science and even question certain established sciency things , I want to stay away from getting so science fringe that we end up trying to justify religion or deny the usefulness of science. I also didn't want this to become so sciency technical that we end up bashing religion. Lets have fun with this. This is where we can find a connection to both and have a little fun with our analysis. Bigfoot, Aliens, Loch Ness and Time travel all have their foot in both camps and the usual literary brawl is quite entertaining. I also like discoveries that disturb the well established timelines of our history (artifacts waaay older than what we were supposedly capable creating of for the time kinda stuff). Think "Ancient Aliens" but without the overall batshat crazy premise and dude with crazy hair. (AA is so entertaining though...)

As far as the space posts...I'm totally a space geek. You may proceed.

Debates are welcome, jokes are encouraged and name calling is only allowed if its hilarious.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077