Rethinking History

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Although the start of this thread was intended to look beyond what we know now in science and even question certain established sciency things , I want to stay away from getting so science fringe that we end up trying to justify religion or deny the usefulness of science. I also didn't want this to become so sciency technical that we end up bashing religion. Lets have fun with this. This is where we can find a connection to both and have a little fun with our analysis. Bigfoot, Aliens, Loch Ness and Time travel all have their foot in both camps and the usual literary brawl is quite entertaining. I also like discoveries that disturb the well established timelines of our history (artifacts waaay older than what we were supposedly capable creating of for the time kinda stuff). Think "Ancient Aliens" but without the overall batshat crazy premise and dude with crazy hair. (AA is so entertaining though...)

As far as the space posts...I'm totally a space geek. You may proceed.

Debates are welcome, jokes are encouraged and name calling is only allowed if its hilarious.

Oh, come on. It was just getting fun. lol :p
Only kidding. I totally understand. My posts above represent a weak moment in my life of social conformity. ha ha ha
This has been a great thread though. :)

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Although the start of this thread was intended to look beyond what we know now in science and even question certain established sciency things , I want to stay away from getting so science fringe that we end up trying to justify religion or deny the usefulness of science.

There's lots we don't know. Biggest mistake that people make is assuming science has all the answers where really we're simply at the 50% mark, though there is lots that is well established and unlikely to change. Other problem is of course is knowing how to question establish science. Most people assume unanswered means we won't have answers and like to use other answers instead. More often those same people don't like the answers when they are known. Just a point, I've yet to hear in the 43 years I've been alive any coherent justification for the supernatural of any sort.

I also didn't want this to become so sciency technical that we end up bashing religion. Lets have fun with this. This is where we can find a connection to both and have a little fun with our analysis. Bigfoot, Aliens, Loch Ness and Time travel all have their foot in both camps and the usual literary brawl is quite entertaining.

Bashing religion is too easy. :p

As for that list, I'm not sure what you mean by 'feet in both camps' thing. Pretty much all those things are discredited. Only fools stick to those things.

I also like discoveries that disturb the well established timelines of our history (artifacts waaay older than what we were supposedly capable creating of for the time kinda stuff). Think "Ancient Aliens" but without the overall batshat crazy premise and dude with crazy hair. (AA is so entertaining though...)

As far as the space posts...I'm totally a space geek. You may proceed.

Debates are welcome, jokes are encouraged and name calling is only allowed if its hilarious.

You'll have to enlighten me to what artefacts you're referring to. The most interesting one I've heard of lately is this based on real archaeology:

G?bekli Tepe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for AA, I don't know if I can deal with pseudo science. Makes my blood boil when I'm not laughing at the stupidity of it. It just seems to justify ignorance of real science and help keep the conspiracy theories going. AA is a prefect representation of our fanciful thinking and the massaging of our egos. Yes we are that important that aliens would want to visit us! It's really no different than belief in the supernatural, whatever that belief may be.

Reality is simply wonderful and good enough for me, unfortunately many seem to want more.

Last edited:

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
This is pretty cool. A continuous Earth selfie.....and I really feel bad about myself for using that term. lol
Moving on..... It's also quite awesome that there are places like this that exist in space, and that we understand them: the L1 Lagrange point, where the gravity of the Earth and the sun cancel each other out. Very awe-inspiring picture of the Earth too. And to think that the planet upon which we live is really just like a grain of sand sailing through the cosmos. Awesome!

Ps....To my friends from around the globe: I did not intentionally use a picture of Earth showing only the US as a way to imply any patriotic message. :) It was the one that was in the article. Sorry if it offends. I guess I could post an image from a Flat Earth-est website to cover all nationalities. ha ha ha ha :)

Satellite Set To Stream Daily Images Of Earth From Space : NPR

globe_west_2048_sq-3c11e252772de81daba7366935eb7bd4512036b8-s800-c85.jpg

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. The only thing we can see from that distance is Earth...no people, no war, nothing to suggest that we are there slowly destroying it. Thinking about our little existence compared to the rest of the universe is oddly comforting to me for some reason. I think it solidifies, in my head, the fact that we are just a tiny, unnecessary piece of a gigantic "thing"...it keeps my arrogance in check and my appreciation for life at the forefront of my thoughts.

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Haha!

As for that list, I'm not sure what you mean by 'feet in both camps' thing. Pretty much all those things are discredited. Only fools stick to those things.

Both camps meaning the possibility is still there because we have precedence (supposed long extinct animals still being found alive today) and supposedly more reliable witnesses reporting sightings. I still believe they are all very minute possibilities and I also think the Loch Ness/Bigfoot initial famous sightings were proven to be hoaxes but you get what I'm saying. A Kracken is a good example. There are example of giant squids and many examples of ridiculously giant versions of things freakishly growing beyond the norm. The likelyhood of a HUGE kracken like squid...possible. Finding one...even less likely. Recording one after finding it....even less likely. Surviving the encounter after recording it and uploading it to youbtube...even less likely. Random trolls discrediting you on youtube...VERY likely...but its still possible no matter how minute.

I look at these things like this: 99.99% of the sightings and photos can be explained by human error or outright lying. That means .01% is still up for grabs. In terms of the scale of the Earth, .000000000001% is still substantial. In terms of the scale of the universe, .0^(1 million)1% is more than enough.

In a somewhat cliche' way, almost anything is possible. The only 100% surety is me not losing 15 pounds that I so desperately need.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
@Guytronic
Nice of you to say. I try to get that message across to my students every day. I try to tell them that it's ok to know that our existence is of little importance in the grand scheme of things...the universe. But in our neck of the cosmos, we have an opportunity. While we are here, we have this chance to help create a better way of living for ourselves and everyone around us. It makes living a positive, memorable life that much more of a worthwhile task....we only get one shot at this. Might as well make it worthwhile. Some get it, I hope. :)

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Recently, I paid to have my genetic ancestry mapped by 23andMe. The results were expected....I posted a screenshot. The main reason that I wanted to do this was to learn how much, if any, Neanderthal DNA was hidden within. :) After a month or so, I got the results: 2.6% Neanderthal! Yes!!! I, along with many others, am living proof that our ancestors once mated with Neanderthals. How cool is that!?!?
Has anyone else had this done?

Screenshot (6).png

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Interesting result Scienceguy!

I, along with many others, am living proof that our ancestors once mated with Neanderthals.

I have neighbors here that are living proof sans any testing.

Frankly I'm almost sure they are still mating with neanderthals.

Scary bunch...

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Interesting result Scienceguy!

I have neighbors here that are living proof sans any testing.

Frankly I'm almost sure they are still mating with neanderthals.

Scary bunch...
We may live in the same neighborhood, albeit virtually.. I have no question in my mind as to where the legends of the trolls came from. Can definitely see that I may spend some time perusing this thread.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
We may live in the same neighborhood, albeit virtually.. I have no question in my mind as to where the legends of the trolls came from. Can definitely see that I may spend some time perusing this thread.

I apologize, in advance, for any of my past posts that might offend you. :)

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I apologize, in advance, for any of my past posts that might offend you. :)
Having been in military intelligence (enlisted and officer both), studied engineering physics and graduating with degrees in Biology and Chemistry, and having survived the politics at one of the world's largest IT companies for 24 years, I thank you for the apology, but you may want to save it for some of those in the 'technical' forums that don't know how to spell. Or read. Or think, sadly enough. Thick skin and Kevlar stops many things.

Every morning, I enjoy perusing the tech and science news. Most recently was interested in the age estimation of stars being off by >150M years based on findings from the Planck telescope work.

Nice to find a thread that can fog a mirror in a humid room!

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Excellent! Nice to meet you then. :) I served in the Marines for six years back in the '90's....but only as an enlisted member. Teach science to 11 year olds now. :)

I read that article too. The Planck telescope is the little, but hugely successful, secret weapon of the professional stargazers. Most people have heard of the Hubble, but few know about the Planck. It's amazing how far we can look out from Earth, and what we've learned by doing so. I'm really hoping that the consumer version of the HoloLens will let science enthusiasts like myself get up close and personal with those far off places.

Anyway...nice to meet you. Glad that you're here. :)

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I thank you for your service! On occasion I volunteer for Computers for Kids or at the local elementary school via my company's Traveling Scientist program for math, physics, biology or chemistry. LOVE it. But could NOT do it full time. Hat off to you for serving not only the country, but now our country's future!

Watched the Jan 21 intro's regarding Win10 and mobile, since I've been testing Win 10 Enterprise since day 1, but the HoloLens surprise took the show for me. Took my head zipping along on the art of the possible. Still zipping frankly! The potential applications are astounding, in so many fields, and this is just the beginning.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for yours as well.
I definitely enjoy my job, but teaching science where I live is a dangerous job. lol :D

I'm hoping the HoloLens' price doesn't kill it for consumers. I'm saving my allowance right now. ha ha

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
as per Mythbuster's "Stand back, I'm doing science!"... I cleared the university science building when one of my original research science projects went wrong. Certain compounds should never be mixed that aren't well documented. Show your kids that danger is in the eye of the beholder and how to limit it, as we did, with planning. They'll get it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers