And here's why I might finally leave Windows Phone :(

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Announcement: New Xperia Z2 Phone by Sony - YouTube
Carrier loyalty.
I'm a T-Mobile customer and have been since January 2007 and I have not had one bad experience with them yet. I was one of the first owners of the HTC HD2 and that was a good feeling to have one of the newest and hottest devices at the time. And then Windows Phone 7 debuted and I was intrigued. It wasn't until a ROM was made available for the HD2 that I was able to get a taste of the OS. I had been running Android on it until that time and then I fell in love with Windows. My first WP was the HTC Radar which I absolutely loved besides the limited memory and slightly reduced camera from it's bigger brother, HTC Titan.
Then Nokia came into the picture with the Lumia 800 which eventually made it's way over to the US as the Lumia 900. And I was envious that T-Mobile would be skipped as a carrier for it. And then I noticed another trend. All the devices I wanted were all going to AT&T. I went to AT&T and inquired about their plans and services and found the prices more than what I was willing to pay for the same thing or less with T-Mobile.
Fast forward to 2014 and not much has changed. The Lumia 1020 is still only available on AT&T. T-Mobile has been passed over time and time again and the only "flagship" device Nokia finally gave us came with only 16gb of internal storage with no SD card. Somehow they released the Lumia 1520 with 16gb and a SD expansion and recently released the same 1520 with 32gb and SD expansion. But you know what other trend I noticed? The Galaxy S4 is available right now as is the HTC One and the iPhone 5S. I now have an unlocked 920 I'm using and I'm really excited about the 8.1 update coming soon. But my decision in the end will be based on whether or not Nokia will deliver the goods to T-Mobile. By the time the update probably becomes available I could already be using another phone. The HTC One was the only device that had me thinking about switching but this new Sony Experia Z2 is everything I could ask for in a device. And then HTC will be unveiling their new HTC One phone(whatever they end up calling it). After watching this YouTube video about the phone I'm really excited about the Z2 whether I upgrade to it or not. I respect quality products.
What I'm saying is that I need a high end Windows Phone on my carrier that I don't have to unlock or jump through hoops to get. If Nokia continues this frustrating AT&T love affair and the Z2 ends up being available with my carrier(and no other OEMs release an upgrade worthy WP8.1 device), that will be the temporary if not permanent end to my time with my beloved OS. This needs to be the year for those not on AT&T to get the best of what Windows Phone has to offer as well. Shout out o Verizon on that gorgeous Icon by the way.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Aren't you essentially paying full price for a factory unlocked phone from T-Mobile anyway? They're are plenty of WPs available that way.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Well currently I'm still under T-Mobile's classic plan so I guess technically only put down the $200 upgrade price and get the phone on a two year contract. And the point really is that any unlocked phone will not be optimized to take advantage of T-Mobile's services like WiFi calling and internet sharing. And currently on my phone I cannot send nor receive MMS when I'm on LTE which ironically proved to be a hindrance despite the blazing fast speeds I get.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I just want something to call my own on MY preferred carrier. Maybe even a 925 refresh with a 1080p screen, the new processor, 20mp camera and SD card expansion.

tanglewoodDEV

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
You should know that T-Mobile's selection of Windows Phones is completely up to T-mobile.
Neither Nokia or Microsoft is holding back devices from them.
Your carrier's WP support is to blame here.
So your real dilemma is which do you want more... T-Mobile's service or WP devices.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
You should know that T-Mobile's selection of Windows Phones is completely up to T-mobile.
Neither Nokia or Microsoft is holding back devices from them.
Your carrier's WP support is to blame here.
So your real dilemma is which do you want more... T-Mobile's service or WP devices.

I live outside the US, and I fail to see why carriers in the US are so fussy. "Want a new phone OS? Make us our own!!" "Want to tether? Pay us extra!!". I just thinking it's really silly sometimes given that most other carriers sell the international model so why do US carriers need their own special version of what is almost the same phone?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
AT&T pays for the exclusivity and Verizon specifically ordered the Icon. I suggest complaining to T-mobile about it. It's not up to Nokia to decide.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not really concerned about who's to blame here. All I care about is getting what I want this year and if T-Mobile/Nokia/Microsoft can't make it happen then I will be moving on. The exclusive thing is hindering the OS in my opinion especially since Nokia is really all we have had to look forward to when it comes to manufactures. My point is that the competition(and it will take a special device to make me switch) which is becoming better all the time is already available while I'm waiting just to get one killer Windows Phone on T-Mobile. You guys make valid points though but I guess I'm just hoping that the overall landscape of premium WP devices available across the spectrum will change this year.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Maybe posting your feelings on T-Mobile social media such as Twitter might be the best route to take. The disgruntled BlackBerry users got T-Mobile to listen and offer discounted upgrades to new BlackBerry devices, not just discounts to switch from BlackBerry to iPhone.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Maybe posting your feelings on T-Mobile social media such as Twitter might be the best route to take. The disgruntled BlackBerry users got T-Mobile to listen and offer discounted upgrades to new BlackBerry devices, not just discounts to switch from BlackBerry to iPhone.

Well Laura, I just might try that if it means getting a true premium WP device on our shelves and not having to switch. I really do love Windows Phone or else I would've switched a while ago. But like I said, I'm going to wait and see what new devices are announced before I jump ship. Nokia is fully capable...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Well Laura, I just might try that if it means getting a true premium WP device on our shelves and not having to switch. I really do love Windows Phone or else I would've switched a while ago. But like I said, I'm going to wait and see what new devices are announced before I jump ship. Nokia is fully capable...

The thing is Nokia can't force T-Mobile to carry specific products. T-Mobile customers have a better chance of convincing T-Mobile to carry specific products, though, especially if they threaten to leave for AT&T, Verizon or Sprint.

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
The thing is Nokia can't force T-Mobile to carry specific products. T-Mobile customers have a better chance of convincing T-Mobile to carry specific products, though, especially if they threaten to leave for AT&T, Verizon or Sprint.

T-Mobile customers can switch to AIO and get the better AT&T phones on the better AT&T network without paying more for plans in most cases.

After T-Mobile didn't update my HD7, 710, and completely dropped support for my 810 it was time to move. Now one of my family's lines is a 1020 on aio, the rest of us will be moving shortly.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I really don't feel like Nokia has to force anything. They have the best, and in most cases, the only Windows Phone products. You really believe Verizon and T-Mobile(Sprint is just ridiculous) looked at the 920, 1020, and 1520 and said "nah, I'll pass."? Or T-Mobile passed on the 900 for the 710? If that is indeed the case then there really is no need to bother petitioning or going to the carrier anyway. That's just not smart on their part IF that is the case. How is Windows Phone supposed to thrive in these conditions. I constantly see Nokia pushing the 1020 as the best camera on a smartphone yet the people that actually support the platform don't even have access to it?(at least not easily) Imagine that. I'll say this, with a sensor that powerful I don't see Nokia using it just once. I just hope T-Mobile gets some love when they release a 1020 successor.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Ironically enough I am considering leaving android due to the fact that I am concerned android might be coming to windows phone if the rumors pan out...shudder.

And when that happens I will be on apple :p

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Micah I really don't believe that will ever come to reality though and I think it was only rumored for the apps to come to Windows Phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb