03-16-2014 08:42 PM
53 123
tools
    The actual "International Community" ie South America, Africa, Middle East and Asia do not care.
    Russia is walking away with Crimea from all of this. That is how negotiations will end. Europe (Oops, Germany) won't do anything because Big Brother America won't do anything.
    I'd say every country in the world is part of the international community. If every person made their own list of who is in that community and who isn't, then we wouldn't have one to begin with.

IMHO the question is not who is "actually" part of that community and who isn't, but who has both the desire and the power to affect outcomes. None of countries in the regions you mentioned have that power. The most anybody can expect from them is a public statement condemning or supporting Russia's actions, and eventually to participate in sanctions if they so choose. Many (if not most) of the countries in the regions you mentioned all condemned Russia's actions, so they cared at least enough to publicly state what side they stand on.

I don't think anyone in this thread expects Crimea to remain in Ukraine's hands. The question is at what cost to Russia Crimea will be traded.
    03-16-2014 09:03 AM
    One guy in this thread wrote that Russia invades that region to protect its own citizens. it's doubtful whether this guy knows Russia's history. Crimea had belonged to Crimean Tatars after some empires such as Germanic. It was medieval period , so they could conquer that land and settled around that region furthermore they have built many empires. Currently there is a referendum in Crimea whether it would participate to Russia or not. All we know it is out of logic to have such a referendum. It is obvious that region has a lot Russians. It's result is clear. Some of Tatars are sending their child to western Ukraine to protect them. One last thing that i should tell before finishing my post that is that region has lots of russians because in soviet era Tatars were deported forcefully. Some of them could return their motherland but there are still many live in other countries.
    a5cent likes this.
    03-16-2014 02:06 PM
    One last thing that i should tell before finishing my post that is that region has lots of russians because in soviet era Tatars were deported forcefully. Some of them could return their motherland but there are still many live in other countries.
    Yes. If the Tatars were not deported, then the ethnic Russian majority wouldn't exist in Crimea today. However, while that is yet another example of unacceptable Russian behaviour, at some point we need to let go of the past. If we can't let go of such age old grudges, we'll be fighting wars left and right, because every piece of land was at some point owned by others than the ones holding it today. What I think is more relevant, is the promise Russia made to the Ukraine after the Soviet Union crumbled. Russia guaranteed to respect Ukraine's borders and accept them as an independent nation, in exchange for handing back to Russia one of the largest stockpiles of Soviet nuclear weapons. That was in 1994.
    03-16-2014 08:42 PM
53 123