Crimea; what's going on?

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Well I have read through the last 3 pages (which was a rather painful experience) and i must say that i just cannot believe the amount of ignorance from some users.

If you are not well informed, don't bother sharing your opinion in the first place.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Well I have read through the last 3 pages (which was a rather painful experience) and i must say that i just cannot believe the amount of ignorance from some users.

If you are not well informed, don't bother sharing your opinion in the first place.

Correct. This is politics thus no one is well informed. This is all based on opinions.

Are you a politician? If you are what union do you belong to?

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Obama is locked. If Putin does not withdrawal. Putin will be in the history books with the rest of the world known dictators. Putin still has a chance to retreat or be exterminated.

Any one care to elaborate?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Obama is locked. If Putin does not withdrawal. Putin will be in the history books with the rest of the world known dictators. Putin still has a chance to retreat or be exterminated.

Any one care to elaborate?

No need to overdramatize the situation. No outside military will violently oppose Russia, at least not only over the annexation of Crimea.

spazzmeister

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Crimea belongs to Russia. It was illegally given to Ukraine by a Ukraine born Soviet president. What the hell does America need there anyway? Go drone strike some children in Pakistan please.

WPC App for Android - Note 3

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Crimea belongs to Russia. It was illegally given to Ukraine by a Ukraine born Soviet president. What the hell does America need there anyway? Go drone strike some children in Pakistan please.

Not that I'm a expert, but everything I've ever read about Khrushchev stated he was Russian, not a Ukraine, although he was allegedly born close to the Ukraine border (see Wikipedia).

Furthermore, as far as I know, there was nothing illegal about his 'redistricting' of Crimea. Ukraine and Russia were both part of the same country back then, so the transfer was little more than an administrative issue. So what exactly was illegal? Any sources?

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
What's the flip side that the world is not aware of?
That this is an conflict on the "border" between Russia and Europe and they Will have to solve It without the cowboys breathing doen there necks?

This small conflict is not in any way a threat to America and the people of The Ukraine can handle themselves just fine, and if not they will seek help from Europe or the Russians.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Not that I'm a expert, but everything I've ever read about Khrushchev stated he was Russian, not a Ukraine, although he was allegedly born close to the Ukraine border (see Wikipedia).

Furthermore, as far as I know, there was nothing illegal about his 'redistricting' of Crimea. Ukraine and Russia were both part of the same country back then, so the transfer was little more than an administrative issue. So what exactly was illegal? Any sources?

They were part of an union and the borders where still there but under Soviet command from Moscow.

One of the problems is that the Russians signed a treaty back in the 90's in which was stated The Ukraine could never be split or in any way divided.
Then again treaty's don't hold any firm resolution against this problem.
Neither if this is morally rightfully, its a decision I think should come from the people of crimea/The Ukraine

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
They were part of an union and the borders where still there but under Soviet command from Moscow.
Yes, borders were still there, but the republics were definitely not individual countries. Just like in the United States, where the individual states aren't countries either. The Russian army would have marched into any republic that claimed such autonomy.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republics_of_the_Soviet_Union

There is nothing illegal about redistricting on that scale. The country I live in would also have recently broken the law if it was. Again, are there any legitimate* sources that back up the claim of illegality?

* Not Russian, elementary school, history textbooks. As we all know, the worst way to learn about any country's history is to read their own textbooks, which are always biased, but in the case of centrally controlled and more authoritarian countries like Russia, border on propaganda.

One of the problems is that the Russians signed a treaty back in the 90's in which was stated The Ukraine could never be split or in any way divided.
Then again treaty's don't hold any firm resolution against this problem.
Neither if this is morally rightfully, its a decision I think should come from the people of crimea/The Ukraine

I don't understand what problem you are referring to. Anyway, I agree that the people of Crimea deserve to vote on what country they want to belong to.

HOWEVER, those people deserve an honest debate before making a decision. Currently, the Russian military is occupying the region and has forcefully replaced all pro-Western TV and radio broadcasting with pro-Russian broadcasting. Any election under such conditions is a farce.

Get Ukraine to promise to hold such a vote within six months, leave the country, and get the U.N. involved to monitor the voting process. Then the world will respect the vote. As it is now, it's just a very cheap Russian power grab. At least that is how I see it.

Last edited:

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes, borders were still there, but the republics were definitely not individual countries. Just like in the United States, where the individual states aren't countries either. The Russian army would have marched into any republic that claimed such autonomy.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republics_of_the_Soviet_Union

There is nothing illegal about redistricting on that scale. The country I live in would also have recently broken the law if it was. Again, are there any legitimate* sources that back up the claim of illegality?

* Not Russian, elementary school, history textbooks. As we all know, the worst way to learn about any country's history is to read their own textbooks, which are always biased, but in the case of centrally controlled and more authoritarian countries like Russia, border on propaganda.

I don't understand what problem you are referring to. Anyway, I agree that the people of Crimea deserve to vote on what country they want to belong to.

HOWEVER, those people deserve an honest debate before making a decision. Currently, the Russian military is occupying the region and has forcefully replaced all pro-Western TV and radio broadcasting with pro-Russian broadcasting. Any election under such conditions is a farce.

Get Ukraine to promise to hold such a vote within six months, leave the country, and get the U.N. involved to monitor the voting process. Then the world will respect the vote. As it is now, it's just a very cheap Russian power grab. At least that is how I see it.
Well maybe it is an power grab, also I didn't say the Russians during the soviet time couldn't march into any of their countries/states but I only said the borders still existed.

Then again, most of us are far away from the conflict and really don't know the culture they have and how the conditions really are for the civi's in Crimea

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I hate seeing and hearing what is going on, i'm sure people have their own opinions, some here would be Pro-Ukraine, some would be Pro-Russian, I want to put this post as an insight, i have my own opinions, and i believe people can have their own opinions and shouldn't have their opinions manipulated simply because the majority disagrees (Unless his/her's opinions are rather unrealistic and stupid)

I hate what's going on, i don't have any family background that relates to Ukraine, but i support the new Ukrainian government and i absloutely hate what Russia is doing, i think Putin believes he has an excuse to pull off what he did in Georgia, I feel that there are similarities between what happened between Georgia and Russia back in 2008 and what is currently happening between Ukraine and Russia now, i think Putin also want's his own Soviet Union rebirth, as after all, he was a high ranking figure in the KGB (right?), I don't think Russia is a federation, i wouldn't be too surprised that in ten-twenty years time we will have a second Soviet Union.

To be honest, people say the Cold War ended in 1991, but with how relations are between Russia and all parties involved, i personally feel like the Cold War never really ended.

Sorry if my post confuses somebody, it's late and i am tired. :\

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb