Crimea; what's going on?

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
According to CNN news things are not looking to good there.

Is anyone from Crimea on this forum? How are things there?

Best regards and I hope things get to the norm asap.

Genghis7777

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
If no armed conflict results, Ukraine will probably need to hold a referendum to allow the Crimeans to decide their sovereign future. Russians like a strong leader and Putin is giving them one.

Sent from my Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
3amujere

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It is ironic how in the U.N., Russia constantly blocks any vote on any interventionist tactic. I've heard a million times how it is Russia's firm belief, that what a government does to its people is that countries problem, and that no other country has the right to intervene. When it hits close to home however, like with Georgia or the Ukraine, those firm beliefs are nowhere to be found.

In this case Russia is willing to go to the extents of invading and annexing part of a country. Sick.

On the other hand, I don't know how legit Ukrain's current government is either. They came to power through a coup d'etat, not through elections.

Either way, going to war with Russia makes little sense. The outcome will be the same, just with a lot more dead.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
If no armed conflict results, Ukraine will probably need to hold a referendum to allow the Crimeans to decide their sovereign future. Russians like a strong leader and Putin is giving them one.

Sent from my Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

But what if the Russians use force?

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
It is ironic how in the U.N., Russia constantly blocks any vote on any interventionist tactic. I've heard a million times how it is Russia's firm belief, that what a government does to its people is that countries problem, and that no other country has the right to intervene. When it hits close to home however, like with Georgia or the Ukraine, those firm beliefs are nowhere to be found.

In this case Russia is willing to go to the extents of invading and annexing part of a country. Sick.

On the other hand, I don't know how legit Ukrain's current government is either. They came to power through a coup d'etat, not through elections.

Either way, going to war with Russia makes little sense. The outcome will be the same, just with a lot more dead.

What business does Russia has there? Can Ukraine manage on their own government?

SoullessOnyx

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Russia are there to 'protect' there Russian citizens, not a single shot has been fired at anyone.

The world police or more commonly known as the American government, are getting involved for no reason and saying Russia are being aggressive and had no reason to 'invade' Crimea...

But lets not forget America has invaded several countries and killed hundreds of thousands of people but no one calls that aggressive?

And lets not forget the Americans governments beloved Drone strikes... Makes me sick America get away with all this crap, people are calling President Putin the new Hitler? Think again..

Rage over.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Russia are there to 'protect' there Russian citizens, not a single shot has been fired at anyone.

The world police or more commonly known as the American government, are getting involved for no reason and saying Russia are being aggressive and had no reason to 'invade' Crimea...

But lets not forget America has invaded several countries and killed hundreds of thousands of people but no one calls that aggressive?

And lets not forget the Americans governments beloved Drone strikes... Makes me sick America get away with all this crap, people are calling President Putin the new Hitler? Think again..

Rage over.

He is no thought here. ;-). If he keep this crap going. Soon he will be history like the rest.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Rage over.

It's not aggressive. It's a war.

Drones are necessary, they minimize casualties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

So what is your point? Are you saying that because the U.S. made a few utterly stupid decisions, that it is Russia's right to make even stupider decisions? I seriously hope not.

Russia are there to 'protect' there Russian citizens...

If you believe that you need mental health care. That line is pure BS, a.k.a propaganda, fed to the masses to justify military action. It's depressing how well such propaganda works. People will try their hardest to believe what they want to believe, rather than what makes sense, both in the U.S., Russia, and everywhere else in the world.

Ultimately, Russia and the U.S. both behave similarly. Neither are in the business of protecting anybody. What they do protect are their national interests. The sooner the average Joes in both countries face up to that unromantic reality the better off this world will be.

I don't know enough about Crimea to speak authoratively on the issue, but I do know that Crimea is part of Ukraine. The people who live there are thus Ukrainians, not Russians.

Apparently Putin has justified Russia's move by claiming that ethnicity and language are more important than nationality, but based on how often Russia preaches non-interventionism, that level of hypocrisy is astounding (okay, not really, it's to be expected). A minority living in Crimea may actually be Russian, but if Putin wanted to protect them, he could do a far better job by offering them temporary asylum until the situation calms down. Such a tactic would help deescalate the situation, and also pose less risk to life and treasure, but no... that apparently isn't an option... obviously because what Russia really wants is to protect their military assets, and for that they need troops on the ground.

Drones are necessary, they minimize casualties.

They are possibly minimizing U.S. casualties now, but as always, the U.S. will reap what it sows. All the parents, uncles, sisters and wives that became collateral damage of a drone strike are doing wonders to help recruit the next generation of U.S. hating terrorist/freedom fighters. Remember the rage people felt after 9/11, and the long lines in front of the enlistment offices shortly thereafter? People everywhere feel the exact same way when their civilian loved ones, friends, neighbours and countrymen are killed by attacks from above. They too feel the desire to kick some a55, and because of this tactic, Americans will still be fighting and dying in the "war on terror" ten years from now. Sad.

I wonder if the U.S. population will ever wake up and realize that as good as the U.S. military is, it's not able to solve any of the world's current problems. Blowing stuff up can only take you so far... which isn't really far at all. I believe in a strong military, but I also believe in using the right tool for the job.

Not now. Thank God for the USA empire. But if the USA empire collapse God forbid. The entire world is cooked.

WWII was the last time the U.S. military achieved anything that was important for the world, although the Russians deserve even more credit. Since then, U.S. intervention has harmed far more than it has helped, ironically itself more than anyone else.

people are calling President Putin the new Hitler? Think again...

Well, Putin is one of the biggest jack asses in the worlds current group of national leaders, but he's definitely not a Hitler. That name is thrown around left and right in the U.S. media, where half the people apparently know next to nothing about the actual man, his politics and Germany at the time. I hope the Russians aren't just as ignorant in that regard, but I have little hope.

Last edited:

NoNoNoYes

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
a5cent come on leave the kid alone, he got the internet....

Oh btw Russian troops fired warning shots at ukranian soldiers yesterday, and warned them they would open fire if they came closer to the air base they've taken over.

Society will always..... always.... evolve into a scenario where a ruling class emerges.

Live2Deliver

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Scenario 1.
Oil, Russia's pipelines to sell oil to Europe goes through Ukraine.
So to say if Ukraine falls towards to west, the Russian pipelines going via it into Europe will be at risk, and anyone knowing Putin won't let it happen.
But the US wants otherwise.
jump to 59:14
http://youtu.be/m5Rkom1RpKA?t=59m14s

Scenario 2.
This whole episode is orchestrated by Russia and the US to manipulate oil trading / prices.
All out war will not start, although there will be lives lost to create the 'tense atmosphere' needed to play traders / investors.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Everyone has there own views...

Like the view that Jews and Slavs are a sub human race? Or the view that it is merciful to burn witches at the stake? Fact is that some views are BS and deserve to be called out as such. Your view is nothing like those I mentioned, but it stems from the same naivet? and willingness to believe authority and propaganda. If not directly attacked, populations require some form of convincing to go to war and put their soldiers in harms way. For the common man, money, power, and protecting military bases doesn't cut it. There must be a higher moral calling in order for large groups of people to convince themselves that killing is justified... if that doesn't exist in reality, then propaganda (sometimes also religion) must fill in the gaps...

I believe the world would be a much safer and better place if fewer people were gullible in this way. That is why I'm not just ignoring you. I respect you as a person, but not your views on this issue.

Last edited:

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
All the parents, uncles, sisters and wives that became collateral damage of a drone strike are doing wonders to help recruit the next generation of U.S. hating terrorist/freedom fighters

Great. Then we can introduce them to the drones too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NunezGuad