Are we living in a computer simulation?

unnatixlr8

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello folks,
I listened to a podcast related to computer simulation.
What if humans had reached to the point known as singularity and given that they had enough resources they created a simulation of the universe.
And we are the products of this program.
Would it Change anything to us if we ever find out about the truth.

Please give your opinions and plausible arguments.

Cheewii Poon

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
To be perfectly honest, I always thought that if there were to be such things as gods (I'm agnostic), it would probably be a computer program/simulation. To me, it's always been surprising to me how we humans have kept the faith in well, faith, even at this stage of technology and understanding of the world around us, when the ideas of mystical beings were created my ancient humans who couldn't explain phenomena like day and night cycle, eclipses and such. So the concept that we are just lines of codes in a simulation is just as possible as other religions. Just as the theoretical god s could have <insert any religion's back story/explanation>, theoretical programmers (who might also be higher, more intelligent beings or even "gods" to us) could have programmed us lines of code to be self-aware yet have an algorithm that never allows us to find the truth of the programmers, or they might also have implanted the ideas of mythical gods to distract us from finding the truth, or maybe they're merely doing this for amusement, to see whose simulation becomes aware of the programmer first. It might be a self sustained program or a a controlled simulation. Therefore if it is true that we are just a part of a computer simulation, there would theoretically be nothing we could do about it. The programmer might get amusement that his universe became aware of him, and then shut out universe down with a cosmic disaster or simply reverse time or unplug the simulation. Since we would just be lines of code at that point, the programmer could easily eradicate/control our every move in the simulation. Another possibility however is that the programmer is dead/abandoned the self-sustaining simulation, and at one point we figure out how to transform our lines of code into the physics of the programmer's world. One perspective I look at it is that we are to the Programmer as the people in Sims are to us - except that we are self-aware and the Sims are not. Or maybe that's just what we think...or what our Programmer wants us to think... However in conclusion, if all this is true or not, I doubt we will ever know in our lifetime.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I know God is there, she told me. I know there is an afterlife, friends have have talked to me from there. If people created a "youniverse", I would like to think it would be Utopian. Free of pain, loss, negativity in general. What God gave us is free will, the ability to choose and think for ourselves. Those freedoms are what also enslaves us towards certain ideals, ie The Ten Commandments, taught in every modern religion, not by name but by ideal. Now it "could" be possible to program in such variables into said simulation, but the outcome would be unpredictable. Oh snap!! That is what we're in. God is our programmer, but like Android, we've become infected by malware!! Seriously, how many bots do you know? We'll get factory reset sooner than later. Happened to the dinosaurs, it'll happen to us as soon as we overstep our reach.

LTTG

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I sometimes think, am I the only one living? Is my brain tricking me that there are other humans?? These questions never get answered...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonkalas