Yahoo Video: If they build it, will you come?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Yahoo is rumored to be considering building its own video streaming service. I think it would great competition to google's music streaming service and give video enthusiasts another or even better experience in that space. The question is, if they build it, will you use it? I for one, welcome this move. Lots of unknowns but it happens, I'm sure I'll support it but I hope Microsoft considers it.

yahoo-ces2014-01.jpg

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
As an old timer I've kind of stuck with Yahoo.
This may seem incorrect, yet I think Gurgle ripped off Yahoo's business model and got really popular even though the road had already been paved.

Yes I would use this.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I think I would definitely give it a try. Would be nice to see what potential alternatives will be like. At the moment though, I've been watching content on Netfix and twitch. the amount of videos I have watched on youtube has continued to decrease over time. So that might be something that goes against me really putting any time into this service.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I doubt it. I've abandoned Yahoo for everything except an email address for subscriptions and semi-junk.

It is my worry too. It seems their email exists so spammers can test out their spam. But even on that, I'd create a yahoo account and only visit it enough to keep it from being deleted...much like my gmail account will be since I don't use it anymore either. haha

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Probably not. After fiddling around with their email service I don't trust Yahoo to build a quality website. I also worry that Yahoo won't dedicate their full attention to making it a success. Yahoo has made several purchases over the years that they've done nothing with. They have a checkbook but no plan. I'd hate to dedicate myself to their site knowing they could potentially abandon it at any time.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Probably not. After fiddling around with their email service I don't trust Yahoo to build a quality website. I also worry that Yahoo won't dedicate their full attention to making it a success. Yahoo has made several purchases over the years that they've done nothing with. They have a checkbook but no plan. I'd hate to dedicate myself to their site knowing they could potentially abandon it at any time.
I also wouldn't count on Yahoo keeping the video service anyway. Remember Yahoo Music? That got killed off around 2009, I believe. It even had a subscription service. If I'm not mistaken subscribers could switch to Rhapsody, but I didn't have a subscription so I never bothered.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Under the old leadership, and the incoming Google juggernaut, Yahoo was doomed. Under this new leadership, I suspect that if she get the team in place to do this, it may well be a success...at least in the short term. Revenues will determine how long it stays viable but this is something I want to see happen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786