04-27-2014 04:34 AM
45 12
tools
    I don't think it's fair at all that you're saying this is not minimalist. It would be less minimal if it was a background, rather than tile skins. WP team should be praised for thinking outside the box by not adding backgrounds. Now THAT would be clutter. You have to remember, this is still just a grid of tiles with white icons and an image as the backdrop. Pardon me if that's not minimalist. Would you say the lock screen is not minimalist? Because it's essentially the same thing. White text on an image. Go compare the new start screen to iOS and android, it's still minimalist.
    I don't get you..you are saying this is minimalist..and IF it is, them what is the design that was on WP all this while?
    WP WAS minimalist all this while. It is now that they are going towards this...whatever you want to call it design-way.

Sent from iCeborg's iPad.
    03-30-2014 12:41 PM
    I don't get you..you are saying this is minimalist..and IF it is, them what is the design that was on WP all this while?
    WP WAS minimalist all this while. It is now that they are going towards this...whatever you want to call it design-way.

Not that I want to argue about it, but I think you may be confusing the meaning of minimalist. I get that you don't like the photo in the background, but photography doesn't automatically mean non-minimal. Photos with plain white text on top is a beautiful example of minimalist design. But hey, that's just my pedantic side coming out, defining words. I understand what you want is the simple look, with no real life photography and that's totally your preference but the new backgrounds are still "minimal" by design definition, sir.

Just to wrap up though, totally respect your opinion, and the great thing about options is they are just that... Options :)
    X0LARIUM likes this.
    03-30-2014 01:32 PM
    Not that I want to argue about it, but I think you may be confusing the meaning of minimalist. I get that you don't like the photo in the background, but photography doesn't automatically mean non-minimal. Photos with plain white text on top is a beautiful example of minimalist design. But hey, that's just my pedantic side coming out, defining words. I understand what you want is the simple look, with no real life photography and that's totally your preference but the new backgrounds are still "minimal" by design definition, sir.

Just to wrap up though, totally respect your opinion, and the great thing about options is they are just that... Options :)
    Oh ok..now I get what you are saying. The best part is it is switchable. Thank god for that..

03-30-2014 01:53 PM
    #1 hated feature is randomly turning my volume down for my own good. Hey yo even though you are listening to a audiobook through your car speakers I am going to assume you have headphones jammed in your ear with bad *** amplifiers so I am going to help you out and turn your volume down to 13 ok?
    dalydose, Jack Janik and F3rzz like this.
    03-30-2014 02:01 PM
    Had the tiles remained with their solid colour, this had been a prettier sight for my eyes.
    X0LARIUM likes this.
    03-30-2014 02:20 PM
    #1 hated feature is randomly turning my volume down for my own good. Hey yo even though you are listening to a audiobook through your car speakers I am going to assume you have headphones jammed in your ear with bad *** amplifiers so I am going to help you out and turn your volume down to 13 ok?
    YES!!! That is ridiculous!!
    03-30-2014 06:37 PM
    Lets see.
    It's a feature you have never used; only seen in a poorly recorded 240P video, yet you hate it.

A bit too quick to judge my friend.
    03-30-2014 07:26 PM
    YES!!! That is ridiculous!!
    I've never experienced this before... Does it alert you or something?
    03-30-2014 08:39 PM
    [warn]We need to keep this thread on-topic and discuss the feature, not argue amongst each other. If any further moderation is needed, then the thread will be closed.[/warn]
    X0LARIUM and xandros9 like this.
    03-30-2014 09:02 PM
    i just wanted to point at your Avatar. You can totally use a gradient from dark blue to medium blue as TileGround. It would look lovely, and probably better than plain blue, especially with the parallax. It would still be entirely readable and pretty simple.
    03-31-2014 07:44 PM
    hi ...

How was your day. Mine was very good, until i saw this:

and i am sorry to say, but this is the first time i have ever hated windows phone os.

Comments?
    what is so bad about it that you hate it ??
    04-01-2014 05:14 AM
    [warn]We need to keep this thread on-topic and discuss the feature, not argue amongst each other. If any further moderation is needed, then the thread will be closed.[/warn]
    Sorry. I apologise Laura.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-01-2014 01:39 PM
    i just wanted to point at your Avatar. You can totally use a gradient from dark blue to medium blue as TileGround. It would look lovely, and probably better than plain blue, especially with the parallax. It would still be entirely readable and pretty simple.
    The colors and font used in my avatar are from Nokia. And what you said nailed it, "would still be entirely readable and pretty simple" if it IS simple then who minds it..but the fact that it looks very much like any cheap android launcher is what bothers me. Windows phone's design philosophy is to keep it simple. This, IMHO, is going away from core values of your product.

04-01-2014 01:41 PM
    The colors and font used in my avatar are from Nokia. And what you said nailed it, "would still be entirely readable and pretty simple" if it IS simple then who minds it..but the fact that it looks very much like any cheap android launcher is what bothers me. Windows phone's design philosophy is to keep it simple. This, IMHO, is going away from core values of your product.

Holding on to core values is commendable but ultimately pointless on board a sinking ship. If WP wants to get enough market share to survive, it has to allow some user customization. Yes, some users will put the most ugly backgrounds that you will ever see but it's their phone so it's their prerogative. An alternate choice is to alienate them completely from your platform and go for a small niche market while Android conquers the rest of the world. Not everyone in the world is a Picaso. You can't stop someone from purchasing a Ferrari and put cow bells on it. Just don't do it on yours.
    X0LARIUM likes this.
    04-01-2014 10:56 PM
    I don't get the hate. I like it. If I get bored with it I'll just turn it off and go back to what I have now.

this!

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 using Tapatalk
    Tom Snyder likes this.
    04-01-2014 11:25 PM
    Holding on to core values is commendable but ultimately pointless on board a sinking ship. If WP wants to get enough market share to survive, it has to allow some user customization. Yes, some users will put the most ugly backgrounds that you will ever see but it's their phone so it's their prerogative. An alternate choice is to alienate them completely from your platform and go for a small niche market while Android conquers the rest of the world. Not everyone in the world is a Picaso. You can't stop someone from purchasing a Ferrari and put cow bells on it. Just don't do it on yours.
    Agree.. :)

Coded from a Clover Trail+ Machine!
    04-02-2014 02:58 AM
    What's great about this feature is that you can create an image with a specific color you always wanted.
    04-03-2014 02:54 AM
    What's great about this feature is that you can create an image with a specific color you always wanted.

I stand corrected..though I am STILL not a big fan of pictures, I realized MS has given us the opportunity to add any coloured tiles we want: I wanted a grey...I got one!
    wp_ss_20140427_0002.jpg
    04-27-2014 04:12 AM
    Liked it first time, but went back to solid color (green), I'm used to it, and it's easy to read whatever you have on tiles
    04-27-2014 04:30 AM
    Liked it first time, but went back to solid color (green), I'm used to it, and it's easy to read whatever you have on tiles
    That's EXACTLY my point..it is unreadable and looks garish..solid color, any color, looks classy.
    04-27-2014 04:34 AM
45 12