First EVER Windows Phone feature hated by me!

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Clearly this is a favourite for a lot of people who either don't know what is simplistic design or just love to see complications on their home screens..either ways...if WP is going this way, I'm not walking along.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Hate to break it to you, but Windows Phone is spreading its wings. It's not all about simplicity anymore as many apps are just picking their own designs now (whereas it used to be that every app used the panorama and pivot controls). In order to succeed WP needs to implement basic feature demands. Even so, this is still very minimalist considering other platforms. You complain about the icons being cluttered, but the same is true for the lock screen. Should we just have the option for a plain colour on the lock screen, too?

"It's not all about simplicity anymore" Oopps...then MS just lost at least one loyal fan.

"WP needs to implement basic feature demands" why don't we them start with the severely minimal App Store in that case instead of fixing something that's perfect.

"this is still very minimalist considering other platforms" nope...this is just about the same. Android has many launchers that look more or less like that. Hate to say this but WP is slowly joint their league and I hope this stops here.

"You complain about the icons being cluttered, but the same is true for the lock screen. Should we just have the option for a plain colour on the lock screen, too?"
Didn't get that. U mean WP lockscreen?

Sent from iCeborg's iPad.

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Clearly this is a favourite for a lot of people who either don't know what is simplistic design or just love to see complications on their home screens..either ways...if WP is going this way, I'm not walking along.

_yes_thank_you_for_your_input_.gif

Blake Quartly

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site

I don't think it's fair at all that you're saying this is not minimalist. It would be less minimal if it was a background, rather than tile skins. WP team should be praised for thinking outside the box by not adding backgrounds. Now THAT would be clutter. You have to remember, this is still just a grid of tiles with white icons and an image as the backdrop. Pardon me if that's not minimalist. Would you say the lock screen is not minimalist? Because it's essentially the same thing. White text on an image. Go compare the new start screen to iOS and android, it's still minimalist.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's fair at all that you're saying this is not minimalist. It would be less minimal if it was a background, rather than tile skins. WP team should be praised for thinking outside the box by not adding backgrounds. Now THAT would be clutter. You have to remember, this is still just a grid of tiles with white icons and an image as the backdrop. Pardon me if that's not minimalist. Would you say the lock screen is not minimalist? Because it's essentially the same thing. White text on an image. Go compare the new start screen to iOS and android, it's still minimalist.

I don't get you..you are saying this is minimalist..and IF it is, them what is the design that was on WP all this while?
WP WAS minimalist all this while. It is now that they are going towards this...whatever you want to call it design-way.

Blake Quartly

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I don't get you..you are saying this is minimalist..and IF it is, them what is the design that was on WP all this while?
WP WAS minimalist all this while. It is now that they are going towards this...whatever you want to call it design-way.

Not that I want to argue about it, but I think you may be confusing the meaning of minimalist. I get that you don't like the photo in the background, but photography doesn't automatically mean non-minimal. Photos with plain white text on top is a beautiful example of minimalist design. But hey, that's just my pedantic side coming out, defining words. I understand what you want is the simple look, with no real life photography and that's totally your preference but the new backgrounds are still "minimal" by design definition, sir.

Just to wrap up though, totally respect your opinion, and the great thing about options is they are just that... Options :)

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Not that I want to argue about it, but I think you may be confusing the meaning of minimalist. I get that you don't like the photo in the background, but photography doesn't automatically mean non-minimal. Photos with plain white text on top is a beautiful example of minimalist design. But hey, that's just my pedantic side coming out, defining words. I understand what you want is the simple look, with no real life photography and that's totally your preference but the new backgrounds are still "minimal" by design definition, sir.

Just to wrap up though, totally respect your opinion, and the great thing about options is they are just that... Options :)

Oh ok..now I get what you are saying. The best part is it is switchable. Thank god for that..

Grand Master K

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
#1 hated feature is randomly turning my volume down for my own good. Hey yo even though you are listening to a audiobook through your car speakers I am going to assume you have headphones jammed in your ear with bad *** amplifiers so I am going to help you out and turn your volume down to 13 ok?

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
#1 hated feature is randomly turning my volume down for my own good. Hey yo even though you are listening to a audiobook through your car speakers I am going to assume you have headphones jammed in your ear with bad *** amplifiers so I am going to help you out and turn your volume down to 13 ok?

YES!!! That is ridiculous!!

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Lets see.
It's a feature you have never used; only seen in a poorly recorded 240P video, yet you hate it.

A bit too quick to judge my friend.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
[warn]We need to keep this thread on-topic and discuss the feature, not argue amongst each other. If any further moderation is needed, then the thread will be closed.[/warn]

F3rzz

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
i just wanted to point at your Avatar. You can totally use a gradient from dark blue to medium blue as TileGround. It would look lovely, and probably better than plain blue, especially with the parallax. It would still be entirely readable and pretty simple.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
i just wanted to point at your Avatar. You can totally use a gradient from dark blue to medium blue as TileGround. It would look lovely, and probably better than plain blue, especially with the parallax. It would still be entirely readable and pretty simple.

The colors and font used in my avatar are from Nokia. And what you said nailed it, "would still be entirely readable and pretty simple" if it IS simple then who minds it..but the fact that it looks very much like any cheap android launcher is what bothers me. Windows phone's design philosophy is to keep it simple. This, IMHO, is going away from core values of your product.

Bee Mon

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
The colors and font used in my avatar are from Nokia. And what you said nailed it, "would still be entirely readable and pretty simple" if it IS simple then who minds it..but the fact that it looks very much like any cheap android launcher is what bothers me. Windows phone's design philosophy is to keep it simple. This, IMHO, is going away from core values of your product.

Holding on to core values is commendable but ultimately pointless on board a sinking ship. If WP wants to get enough market share to survive, it has to allow some user customization. Yes, some users will put the most ugly backgrounds that you will ever see but it's their phone so it's their prerogative. An alternate choice is to alienate them completely from your platform and go for a small niche market while Android conquers the rest of the world. Not everyone in the world is a Picaso. You can't stop someone from purchasing a Ferrari and put cow bells on it. Just don't do it on yours.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa