The All New Ford Focus ST 2015. Will it provide AT ?

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
The all new sporty 2015 Focus ST is going to be announced later in the summer. I'm just worried because they never released an AT version of the hot hatch. Only the manual transmission. I LOVE THE CAR, but im not good enough on manual transmission to handle such a beast. What are your thoughts about this ? Will Ford offer enthusiasts like me the chance to drive such an amazing car by releasing an AT version or not ?

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I honestly can't see myself ever buying another Ford after the nightmare of a 9 day road trip in a 2001 Ford Focus.

I really don't foresee them doing an automatic. However, if demand is there they might release one later. Possibly a "Special edition".

?Sent from space using Tapatalk.?

I think you really should give them another chance. You're talking about a 13 year old experience with a car. Ford really stepped up their game recently.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Automatic transmissions should be outlawed. Driving a stick forces one to actually focus a little on driving.

I agree, but also disagree. In city traffic or in the mountains, it would be a nightmare. I think everyone should have to learn how though.

And oddly enough, my car only has 1 gear, so there isn't even an AT in it (Its a CVT).

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I almost got a Focus but it's too big for what I'd wanted. I must of tried like 10+ models of cars. Ended up with a 2013 Toyota Yaris. It's small, fun, and simple (I'm no good at figuring out gadgets in horrible traffic x_x).

My head is just spinning...the Focus is too big, haha, not only said by an American, but a Texan.

I drive a 2 door, and I agree that American's have an incredible infatuation with HUGE cars that is COMPLETELY unnecessary ("But I make a 6 hr trip once a year, we need the extra space for the family for that trip" or "I can't get the kids in and out of a car, like EVERYONE has done for the last 50 years")...but I don't know if you can really say a Focus is just too darn big, and that you need to have a car the size of a Fiesta. I mean, you maybe get 1 MPG savings. Physically I just don't think there is enough of a difference between the two to make that distinction. Now the ~$3000 cheaper price tag for a car that is slightly smaller, that is completely understandable.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I see both sides. I currently drive an automatic, and I would love my next car to be a manual. I enjoyed when I drove a stick shift. However, stick shifts are becoming less common all of the time. And that is not just an American trend. Car manufacturers are starting to phase out standard manual transmissions for high tech and high performance dual-clutch automated transmissions. High performance companies like Ferrari don't even build manual transmissions.

eric0001

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
The all new sporty 2015 Focus ST is going to be announced later in the summer. I'm just worried because they never released an AT version of the hot hatch. Only the manual transmission. I LOVE THE CAR, but im not good enough on manual transmission to handle such a beast. What are your thoughts about this ? Will Ford offer enthusiasts like me the chance to drive such an amazing car by releasing an AT version or not ?
Will they offer one?
Short answer: No.
Long answer: No, because enthusiasts don't want them. There's also the little fact that their DCTs can't handle the torque the engine puts out. On top of it, the DCTs are unreliable. Very few true performance-oriented cars come with automatics, with the exception of DCTs, but DCTs are more expensive, complex, and require a lot more maintenance.

My thoughts: Buy or borrow an older manual car and learn to drive it. If you get a little instruction and drive one for a while, you should pick it right up. It's very easy and will make you a better driver. I don't know whether it is the chicken or the egg, but I've driven cars all over the world and the worst drivers are invariably in countries where vehicles with automatics are the majority. These countries also have far more people that simply decide they won't drive or that start driving well into adulthood.

That works in a good and bad way. The bad drivers focus more on shifting and less on things like possibly someone switching lanes. Add that to stalling, people screaming about warranties because they burned out their clutch, and the nice rolling backwards we see on our hills here.... And I still don't think everyone should drive stick.
If they can't drive it properly, they shouldn't be driving. We're talking about a large machine that can easily kill someone. Even ATs roll backward on hills if they don't have hill assist (in fact, they're worse, since most don't have a handbrake)...

Nobody sane screams about a warranty on a clutch. A clutch is a wear item like a brake pad.

I agree, but also disagree. In city traffic or in the mountains, it would be a nightmare. I think everyone should have to learn how though.

And oddly enough, my car only has 1 gear, so there isn't even an AT in it (Its a CVT).
Manual is far better in the mountains. Engine braking is the key to not smoking your (friction) brakes. The most dangerous vehicles in the mountains are automatics that won't stay in a gear.

The only problem with a manual in the city is that you're surrounded by people in cars with automatics and for some reason US road rules focus on stopping instead of yielding. Traffic circles are brilliant, but wasteful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3