I really feel sorry for the BlackBerry people

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone has never made a profit.? That's quite the outlandish claim.

Money earned - money spent = profit.

With these low sales, I would say its certaint WP is a money hole for now.

Not only R&D and all that, also MS is spending money on promoting WP.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
If anything I see fanboyism for Nokia. A good portion of comments on articles and in the forums completely bashed the Ativ SE.

Well it's kind of true. I mean, why would you get a Samsung WP with their lousy WP support and meh devices, when you can get a Lumia that is SUPPORTED?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Hahaha, yeah. This site really hates Samsung. While I personally think Samsung lacks any vision as a company, and I hate the cheap plastic they use for their phones, I nonetheless welcome them with open arms to build Windows Phones.

Would I ever buy one? Nope, but if someone likes Samsung's build quality, who am I to judge?

Good point.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Well it did. Now it doesn't since MS is making WP free for OEMs

Wrong. Microsoft has always spent more money both developing, advertising and otherwise trying to promote Windows Phone than they've ever made in license sales. Now that it's free, the only money coming in from Windows Phone will be via app sales.

EDIT: I realize that sounded kind of mean, so my apologies if it came across as aggressive, as that was not my intention. ;)

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Well it's kind of true. I mean, why would you get a Samsung WP with their lousy WP support and meh devices, when you can get a Lumia that is SUPPORTED?

Maybe because Samsung offers the little things that Nokia does not have, Removable batteries, IR Blaster and TV Remote App, and Ativ Beam (Send files to android phones and tablets). Little things that night sway someone to it. And by the looks of things in the forums there are some who are considering it over the Icon.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Maybe because Samsung offers the little things that Nokia does not have, Removable batteries, IR Blaster and TV Remote App, and Ativ Beam (Send files to android phones and tablets). Little things that night sway someone to it. And by the looks of things in the forums there are some who are considering it over the Icon.

Indeed. While it's certainly not for everyone, we shouldn't divide ourselves based on hardware preferences, but rather: unite under the Windows flag. We're all here because we love the OS these devices run (well, most of us, any ways :p).

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

The Ativ SE has the features the S4 had, like the IR and TV stuff? I didn't know, as I don't know a whole lot about Samsung WPs, as Nokia is usually the main OEM.

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
The posts over at the BlackBerry site got me pretty depressed today. It's like the last days in Hitler's bunker over there and they know it but refuse to admit it. Maybe Nokia should do a trade in program for Blackberry users. Rant over.

Oh my gosh lawl! The title of this thread just made my day! I think they are definitely screwed as far as phones go, but I think I saw a news article ( cant remember what site though) a few weeks ago saying they might enter the PC market with windows 8. Maybe they have a new chance there?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Oh my gosh lawl! The title of this thread just made my day! I think they are definitely screwed as far as phones go, but I think I saw a news article ( cant remember what site though) a few weeks ago saying they might enter the PC market with windows 8. Maybe they have a new chance there?

A BlackBerry PC? No thanks.

And if they did make PCs or tablets, it would be BB10 powered.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
A BlackBerry PC? No thanks.

And if they did make PCs or tablets, it would be BB10 powered.

I was just hoping they'd stay alive for a good portion of time with something new. I hate to see big industry-changing companies near their end. At least when Nokia got bought by Microsoft (I know they'll still exist, but who's going to pay attention to what they do anymore outside of the mobile industry?), it was a reasonable thing to happen since their phones were so relevant to everything about the WP OS. BlackBerry will probably just end up like Motorola (except though they still make good phones), and move from company to company.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

That just wouldn't sell, not when Linux is free and yet only has ~1.5% of the market share on desktops. Yes, Linux is much more popular as a server OS.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
According to Samsung's latest ad putting a heart beat monitor in a phone is the next big thing for cell phones. I almost died laughing.

That wouldn't necessarily be a useless feature. It could be useful for people who are walking or jogging and want to hit their target heart rate for their workouts.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
That wouldn't necessarily be a useless feature. It could be useful for people who are walking or jogging and want to hit their target heart rate for their workouts.

I noticed their is lot of health centric stuff with Samsung lately. Gear Fit and Samsungs S-Health app attest to that along with the heart rate monitor. If someone loves to workout, the first phone I would show them is a S5.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
The Ativ SE has the features the S4 had, like the IR and TV stuff? I didn't know, as I don't know a whole lot about Samsung WPs, as Nokia is usually the main OEM.

It does.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

They don't have the money for a PC. They can even do phones right now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234