a google free life...

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
i know google is an integral part in internet and related services. but iam curious to know if any of u try to avoid google in your digital life and to what extent.

personally i dislike much of googles policy and their literal contempt for users privacy. i dont use gmail, i prefer hotmail and yahoo. no google drive ,instead i use mainly dropbox and now after i got my wp ,onedrive to back up photos.
youtube? there is not really even an average alternative for that. vimeo is good but the selection of videos is too small{like latest movie trailers}.
i tried using bing search..for basic searches bing is good but when i want to find some thing which is not a popular site or an article about certain topics i must google.
google search and youtube cant be replaced atleast for now..im curious to know how others see it.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
For me, i do not purposely go out of the way to avoid Google. It is just that I started using hotmail first. (and the fact that I hate the Gmail UI). I use google for three things, translate, search, and YouTube.

As much as people here does not want to admit, Bing is much inferior compared to those three. My own opinions thoug

Kazashimo

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
For me, i do not purposely go out of the way to avoid Google. It is just that I started using hotmail first. (and the fact that I hate the Gmail UI). I use google for three things, translate, search, and YouTube.

As much as people here does not want to admit, Bing is much inferior compared to those three. My own opinions thoug

I agree with you on translate, and we all know that MS has no video service, but Bing search finds everything I need. Not to mention the image of the day. I have learned a lot of new things thanks to Bing's search page.

Fizoto

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Nothing beats YouTube and Translate, yes, but otherwise, I'm pretty Google free. Even search. If Bing doesn't do the job, I find DuckDuckGo is a good place to go.

Kazashimo

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Nothing beats YouTube and Translate, yes, but otherwise, I'm pretty Google free. Even search. If Bing doesn't do the job, I find DuckDuckGo is a good place to go.

I used duck duck go a while back, I didn't like that there was no image search. Maybe I was missing something?

mike13ftw

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
You can't avoid google . Google is almost everywhere I use YouTube google plus translate some times hangouts Gmail . And from Microsoft services only OneDrive for my photos and a little the hotmail .

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a gmail account for YouTube (unavoidable). I have not received nor sent a single e-mail over that account since it was created. Otherwise I am completely Google free.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
That like to the OP was just for the thought of a "Google-free life"!

Google
Gmail
YouTube

Three of the most used products by me, in that order.

Yes, MS DOES have something very close, but still not quite there. They have Bing, they have Local Scout etc.. They DON'T have something for Videos. I am sure, if they decide to take over Google, they damn well can. But it will be equivalent of putting all your eggs in the same basket.

anon(8151408)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't use any Google services except YouTube, which I don't sign in to. I don't have a Google account. I use Bing for search, translate, and that lot. I use Windows Phone, and wouldn't ever get a (excuse me while I throw up) CHROMEBOOK.

tl;dr: I hate Google and don't use their services.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't use any Google services except YouTube, which I don't sign in to. I don't have a Google account. I use Bing for search, translate, and that lot. I use Windows Phone, and wouldn't ever get a (excuse me while I throw up) CHROMEBOOK.

I have an Android device to be very very honest, i's ok...nothing to die for or kill for. But the hardware is good. If only I could run a Windows Phone on it.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
The only Google product I use is Youtube. I do not sign in/have an account.
I don't like any of their other services, including their search engine.. which in recent years is more jammed with ads than quality results. I get better results in Bing, with less bloat.

I also don't like how they seem to have their hands in so many pies, it's creepy. Capitalism.. yes, ok, but they're going a tad overboard.

altafmahmood

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I used to use a lot of services by Google. Now I have given up with just using their YouTube service.
Although Bing isn't as good as Google but it does the job, and pretty nicely.
On the other front no other search engine finds video as nicely as Bing. The UI of gmail is crap imo.
Outlook is better crafted.

Danjp

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I still use Gmail, but rarely goto Gmail.com. I access it through outlook.com, I use google drive for some shared folder storage stuff, but google docs is horrible, people use to have an excuse to have to use it but Office through OneDrive is so much better, and I don't think you can get away without having to use YouTube. I would like to see a google hangouts/ google voice app on WP though.

Last edited:

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

You can stick linux on your chrome book to make it bearable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
You can get a windows 8 launcher and change the home screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Done that mate. But it's not even close to the original by a mile...Android in all honesty has an inherent lagging problem. The problem isn't weak hardware. The problem is faulty code.

Sent from iCeborg's iPad.

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm all in for Microsoft . The only 2 things connecting me to google are
1.YouTube - sorry you can't help it
2. An internet search to something that Bing fails me in. And I believe this is gonna change later on as Microsoft pays more attention day by day to their lovely search provider

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Outside youtube, I've lived a google free life for about 7 or 8 years now. It's been so long that I cannot really remember when it actually happened. I really want to get out of using youtube as well, but it's kind of hard since there really isn't anything that comes close.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro