RANT-The increasing stupidity of smart phone enthusiasts

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry, but I just have to rant and vent. I am becomingly increasingly disgusted at just how stupid and airhead grown men and women are becoming over smartphones. To me, smartphones are becoming something like followers of Justin Bieber. A teeny bopper performer for an immature audience.

One thing in particular has set me off and highlighted the utter stupidity of all of this. The plastic dimpled backing of the new Samsung Galaxy S5. The amount of ******** and whining by a bunch of children in adult bodies is unbelievable. People lamenting and complaining about how they don't like the look of the "bandaid" backing, and complaining like no tomorrow over the plastic material. Tell me something, have you all forgotten this is after all just a damn phone?!! This is not your house, where you live in. The amount of scrutiny over the back plate on a telephone is like people scrutinising a home. Living space, decor, amenities etc. This is just a damn communications device that either is in your pocket or resting on a table, desk etc. You almost never see the damn back anyway. And heaps of people put the damn device in a cover anyway. These same people are then carrying on and on and on about the uber finish of the HTC M8. Who cares? When you use the phone, the brushed aluminium is hidden by your palm, and you never see it as I said before. Furthermore, good luck when you inevitably scratch that mini fridge door finish. You can't replace the back and you can't just polish out a scratch because of the brushed finish.

Again people, we are not dealing with fit and finish of a house where you live. But a stupid phone.

But what has really upset me over all of this is credit is not being given credit where credit is due. I for one really applaud Samsung for giving people a flagship phone that you can replace easily the backplate if it gets damaged and the battery when it no longer performs optimally. People are just becoming so dumb and teenage like over smartphones they don't recognise a good thing when they see it. Instead of being grateful for these 2 really useful features that no other manufacturer is offering, they are getting bashed. Because the decor of the backing of this phone is just not up to their high expectations.

I don't mind people griping about cosmetic things that are genuine. For eg, griping about say a high gloss backing that is easily scratched or damaged. Or ports that are difficult to open. But some overgrown children saying that a plastic dimpled backing for them is a dealbreaker shows me the sad state of affairs of the current smartphone industry.

I swear I feel like smartphones are being marketed to young teenagers with the ever increasing focus of gimmicky features. And the ever increasing PPI. Honestly, there is no need for "quad HD" displays. If you are not happy with 400-450 PPI on a phone display, then you are just an overgrown child. I don't mind larger screens for web browsing and gaming, I love the ever increasing camera capabilites, I don't mind the increasing processing power which is useful for games, multitasking apps etc.

But getting back on track with my original sentiments. If you personally don't like the plastic backing of the Galaxy S5, that is one thing. But are you such children that you will complain and stomp your feet? Be at least an adult that sees the huge advantage of being able to cheaply replace the backing and battery instead of spoilt children.

Rant over.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
While I agree that some people take these things to seriously, you also have to keep in mind that the galaxy S5 is a $700 phone and people expect high quality and no compromises from a large investment like that. In a way, it's more expensive than some home decors.

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
While I agree that some people take these things to seriously, you also have to keep in mind that the galaxy S5 is a $700 phone and people expect high quality and no compromises from a large investment like that. In a way, it's more expensive than some home decors.

More expensive than home decors? Really? A mobile phone? Yeah maybe if you're talking about an Indian tee pee or Eskimo igloo. My mind boggles over that statement.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site

More expensive than home decors? Really? A mobile phone? Yeah maybe if you're talking about an Indian tee pee or Eskimo igloo. My mind boggles over that statement.

$700 is a lot of money. Curtains I bought for our windows were $150, I bought a lamp for $50, oh and a table for $300. Maybe your taste are more refined than mine but there are plenty home decors that are less than the price of an S5.

Sent from LG G2 on T-Mobile. come on T-Mobile get a flagship Windows Phone!!!!!

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
$700 is a lot of money. Curtains I bought for our windows were $150, I bought a lamp for $50, oh and a table for $300. Maybe your taste are more refined than mine but there are plenty home decors that are less than the price of an S5.

Sent from LG G2 on T-Mobile. come on T-Mobile get a flagship Windows Phone!!!!!

Dude, I"m talking about "home" decors. Decor for the entire home, every room. Yeah, a Galaxy S5 may be more expensive than 1 or more items in your particular home. Hell, it's more expensive than a bunch of stuff in my home too. But certainly not the whole home. I said as a general statement about scrutinising a phone with such intricate detail as the decor of a home. That means the whole home, not just one item.

You are not comparing apples to apples. When you pick and choose one set of curtains in your home that is cheaper than a new phone, that is comparing an apple with a crate of oranges.

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
What was this thread about again?

Hahahaha......I almost forget myself. Oh yeah, increasing compromise of smartphones to appease teenagers and young people and immature adults. To continue now. I understand that you have to accommodate all tastes and ages. A great example-front facing cameras. Selfies is what predominantly young people do. Grown men and women generally use the rear camera, not pose for a "selfie". I don't have a problem with that, you have to cater for all ages.

But I do have problems when catering for all these young people in areas that is adversely affecting the rest of the phone and the price. How much extra will prices go up for eg, to make these unnecessary quad HD displays? I have major problems when all these immature and "stylish" children in adult bodies that want the back of the phone to be uber fantastic so to pose in a Vogue magazing, so that the rest of us can't replace the backing cheaply and can't replace the battery ourselves.

And Samsung still managed to make the S5 IP67 rated even with a removable backing. I don't like that the rest of us that are older have to adversely compromise on phones to cater for the young and immature.

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
For many of us the phone is not only a communications service but also an accessory and, to some extend, a status symbol. Plus a high end device like the S5 with a price tag that high people expect high quality materials and not cheap looking or flimsy plastic.

Lets take the often abused car comparison. Your phone is like a car, an item that is not entirely cheap and that you are seen with/in. While some people are content with a lemon that gets them from point A to point B, many of us want our car to look nice and probably express our personality s well

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk beta

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
If we didn't have people like this then what do you think would happen to the phone wars section of the forum? :winktongue:

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey you are blind Samsung fan who want to spend anything for flagship devices.if people buy flagship they except some great looks. After all smartphones nowadays are showshoppers.they want to brag everything about it.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
So because people don't share your opinion of a Samsung phone, they are stupid and immature. Mmm, ok. And what makes your rant any different from people complaining and stomping their feet about the phone? Both seem like someone throwing a fit to me.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Dude, I"m talking about "home" decors. Decor for the entire home, every room. Yeah, a Galaxy S5 may be more expensive than 1 or more items in your particular home. Hell, it's more expensive than a bunch of stuff in my home too. But certainly not the whole home. I said as a general statement about scrutinising a phone with such intricate detail as the decor of a home. That means the whole home, not just one item.

You are not comparing apples to apples. When you pick and choose one set of curtains in your home that is cheaper than a new phone, that is comparing an apple with a crate of oranges.

Ah, I see what you mean now. Now I understand. What you apparently mean is that unless you spend thousands of dollars on something, you shouldn't expect high quality. $700? Pfft. That's pocket change.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I actually like the leather-like treatment on the back of Samsung products and I agree that the removable back plate is a practical feature. I find textured backs, like the Dell Venue 8 Pro shown below, more comfortable to hold and less slippery in the hand than smooth metals and plastics.

Dell-Venue-Pro-8-back-texture.jpg

Ahmad Barakji

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
You'll find these kind of "spoiled" people everywhere depending on where you look.

It's the same for car enthusiasts, real estate agents, fashionistas... They care about the little details (no matter how stupid) because that's what matter to them.
When you hear a teenager complaining about the finish of a phone, or removable cover, they're just repeating what they read online.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon