Do you love coffee?

bigboss-62

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: do you like coffee 🍵?

With the upcoming winter, nothing better than an Irish Coffee (to drink in moderation 😇)
Sent from my RM-821_eu_france_267 using Tapatalk

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

I have a sweet tooth. I do not like the taste of coffee - but I do like the smell of a good coffee sometimes.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I have a sweet tooth. I do not like the taste of coffee - but I do like the smell of a good coffee sometimes.

Coffee I found for me was about finding what suited my taste buds. I am a bit of a coffee snob but it doesn't really matter how much a coffee cost, what matters is if I get the taste I want. I find a lot of coffee here in the UK is a bit more on the bitter side.

If you're up for trying something, seek out either Columbian or Venezuela 100% Arabica around a medium to dark roast (3 to 5 if they use numbers). It should have a nice mild, possibly chocolate flavour. Depends on the climate and other factors. I find most African coffee can be a bit on the bitter side, but even then it comes down to where.

Also, like anything it's down to 'getting' used to it. Let's face it, beer and most alcohol is pretty vile tasting. :p

When it comes to coffee making it's best to go for an espresso shot as it has more of the oils in it so you get the full flavour. Filtering coffee removes the creamer which is where the oils are so you lose some of the finer notes of the coffee. If you're at home you should use a coffee plunger/cafetiere for best flavour. Simple rule to follow, one heaping tablespoon per cup and one for the plunger. When you boil water wait until the boil has settled prior to pouring in. (this goes for tea as well), stir and then let it brew with the lid on but don't plunge. After about 3-5 minutes plunge and enjoy.

When you decide to get more into coffee a grinder will be your best friend. Nothing beats freshly ground coffee, aside from freshly roasted freshly ground coffee that is...

If you're wondering, yes I've had too much coffee today. :p

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

I normally don't buy flavored coffee, but I decided to try the Nespresso seasonal variations, Chocolate Mint, Apple Crumble and Hazelnut Dessert. I thought the Chocolate Mint would be the best, but it turned out the Hazelnut Dessert was the best of the three.

Attachments

• IMG_20141208_075226.jpg
    IMG_20141208_075226.jpg
    564.3 KB · Views: 1

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I normally don't buy flavored coffee, but I decided to try the Nespresso seasonal variations, Chocolate Mint, Apple Crumble and Hazelnut Dessert. I thought the Chocolate Mint would be the best, but it turned out the Hazelnut Dessert was the best of the three.

I don't mind the occasional flavoured coffee but I mostly avoid them. Mint just wouldn't be my first choice either. :/

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I noticed I didn't talk about storage. There's this myth of storing coffee in the freezer, recommend not doing that. Put it in air tight container that doesn't let light in. Store in a cupboard or somewhere that's a steady temperature. Keep away from humid places or where steam can happen.

Freezing or storing in a fridge actually kills the flavour of coffee.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

There was one grocery store in my neighbourhood that used to give samples of coffee, but it was always some flavour and never any regular type. More often than not I took one sip and headed to the toilet to spill out the rest. I must not have been the only person who didn't like it, since the store no longer offers any coffee samples.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

This morning I found about 1/3 of the pot was left from yesterday (very unusual for this household)
Unwisely I poured a cup and re-heated ... :(

In my civil service days we could stomach re-heated "Joe".
Not any more!

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

There was one grocery store in my neighbourhood that used to give samples of coffee, but it was always some flavour and never any regular type. More often than not I took one sip and headed to the toilet to spill out the rest. I must not have been the only person who didn't like it, since the store no longer offers any coffee samples.

A lot of coffee companies use to have sample bags that you could buy for a dollar that would make a full pot. I am not seeing that anymore. I don't want to buy a one pound bag of coffee until I've tried it.

crash0330

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site

A lot of coffee companies use to have sample bags that you could buy for a dollar that would make a full pot. I am not seeing that anymore. I don't want to buy a one pound bag of coffee until I've tried it.

Do you not have a grocery store like Winco, in southern California, that sells all kinds of different coffee grains and ay quantity you want, like selling it in bulk.
Maybe not the best quality but they have a lot of different coffees.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99