Do you love coffee?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: do you like coffee 🍵?

It was delish..but I left it to cool a bit too long :eck:

I'm like my maternal grandfather and my paternal grandmother in terms of drinking my coffee really hot. My mother and my father never could drink it as hot as I do, but they both mentioned how their father/mother loved really hot coffee.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I'm like my maternal grandfather and my paternal grandmother in terms of drinking my coffee really hot. My mother and my father never could drink it as hot as I do, but they both mentioned how their father/mother loved really hot coffee.

I cannot drink very hot coffee. I think it also spoils the taste. Most coffee tasting experts drink their coffee cold to detect all the different flavours.

Not that I do that! I like my coffee warm to hot.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site

I also don't have a high enough tolerance for the really hot, be it food or drink. My friend can steam roll a meal while I'm still waiting for it to cool down :eck:

There is this point though, it's just hot enough to drink and you can feel the heat as it goes down. Ah so refreshing..

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I cannot drink very hot coffee. I think it also spoils the taste. Most coffee tasting experts drink their coffee cold to detect all the different flavours.

Not that I do that! I like my coffee warm to hot.

I don't drink coffee extremely hot most of the time, and I don't like it cold. I do like iced coffee, but it is brewed different than coffee meant to be warm/hot.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Had to stock up yesterday.
We're supposed to have some intense rain and wind here the next couple of days.
Running out of beans wouldn't be good.

WP_20141210_006[1].jpg

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

There is nothing worse than burnt coffee.... :/

Looks like a trip to Starbucks in order for my next coffee unless the usual staff comes back to the other coffee place. :/

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

I got the most amazing Christmas present today from my mother...

Like I said in the other thread; I am in Coffee HEAVEN! :love:

WP_20141225_20_21_24_Raw.jpg

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I tried posting a picture of the machine we have here but the Tapatalk didn't like the emoji in the title of the thread.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

WP_20141227_001.jpg

Riddle me this:

What shows my teams colors AND gets me through work when everyone else has a 4 day weekend for Christmas?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

I noticed I didn't talk about storage. There's this myth of storing coffee in the freezer, recommend not doing that. Put it in air tight container that doesn't let light in. Store in a cupboard or somewhere that's a steady temperature. Keep away from humid places or where steam can happen.

Freezing or storing in a fridge actually kills the flavour of coffee.

Crap.... I have been storing my coffee in the freezer all my stinking life. Mom MADE me do it as a child. Got royally dressed down once for leaving it out. Never did it again.

So... she was wrong?? Oh, I can hardly wait to call her now!!

Parents are so hard to bring up.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Crap.... I have been storing my coffee in the freezer all my stinking life. Mom MADE me do it as a child. Got royally dressed down once for leaving it out. Never did it again.

So... she was wrong?? Oh, I can hardly wait to call her now!!

Parents are so hard to bring up.

I'll explain.

Coffee is porous which means that it's has a characteristic that isn't good for freezing.

This means that it can absorb odors easily and that water crystals can form in the coffee. Two things you don't want done to your coffee.

If you must freeze your coffee or put it in the fridge it must be in a vacuum sealed bag or container otherwise the coffee will not taste very good.

If you're really keen on your coffee, it should be consumed within seven days of opening a packet if it's fresh ground coffee. With beans you can get away with a little bit longer. All coffee deteriorates right after roasting. The bags that the coffee comes in is specially designed to keep it as fresh as possible but even they are not perfect.

Of course everyone keeps their coffee longer than they should and most of us won't notice the deterioration as much but it's something to keep in mind. You can normally tell when your coffee needs replacing.

So, keeping coffee in a dry sealed container, preferably dark, is the best way to keep it. Consume as quickly as possible.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

The science of coffee....

N_LaRUE once again shows he is WAY to intellegent for our boards....

:smile:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

The science of coffee....

N_LaRUE once again shows he is WAY to intellegent for our boards....

:smile:

Not sure intelligence is the right word. I've read two books on coffee and have visited a coffee plantation twice.

I'm also a trained barista (coffee maker for those who don't know the word)

I just felt if I'm going to like coffee I should know as much as I could about it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99